PDA

View Full Version : Toilers Recommmendation

kklit
07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Hi folks -

2 cents:
If you've enjoyed any of Hugo's works, but haven't yet had the opportunity to read this, I highly recommend Toilers of the Sea. Though it cannot be compared to Les Miserables, it is still a dramatic and engrossing read. As in Les Miserables, Hugo delves deep into the heart and mind of the honorable man. The compelling force is his love for a woman (whom the reader will barely meet). Yes, I know - been done. But, first - not often as well. And second - the adversaries are different: Nature, Time and other people's perceptions. They are positively brutal. He, however, is positively determined. I don't want to tell you too much.... Read it!

Gilliatt Gurgle
07-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Hello kklit and welcome,

As you can see from my avatar and name, I'm quite fond of Toilers of the Sea and Hugo in general. Toilers of the Sea is the first novel I recall reading when I was roughly 13 years old. My Grandfather had a copy in his WW I footlocker. Upon discovering the book, I was initailly smitten by the age and smell of the old book, but soon grew to appreciate the story more so.
Not nearly as daunting as say Les Misarables and Hugo seems to have tempered his forays into exhaustive detail on tandential topics.

Here's a photo of my late Grandfather's copy:

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae114/tabuka1/Misc%20Album/ToilersoftheSea.jpg

Btw - my avatar is a photo from the frontispiece.

The copyright is not printed, but I believe it is from the 1880's
I'm looking forward to another reading.

WyattGwyon
04-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Toilers of the Sea is the first novel I recall reading when I was roughly 13 years old. My Grandfather had a copy in his WW I footlocker. Upon discovering [Toilers of the Sea], I was initailly smitten by the age and smell of the old book, but soon grew to appreciate the story more so. Not nearly as daunting as say Les Misarables and Hugo seems to have tempered his forays into exhaustive detail on tandential topics.

So I'm guessing your grandfather's edition removed the first 50 pages? (the travel guide to the Channel Islands)

I love all of Hugo's fiction and I am probably one of few who gets your screen name's allusion to the end of the novel.

Gilliatt Gurgle
04-24-2013, 09:55 PM
So I'm guessing your grandfather's edition removed the first 50 pages? (the travel guide to the Channel Islands)

I love all of Hugo's fiction and I am probably one of few who gets your screen name's allusion to the end of the novel.

I happened to catch your post during lunch today.
It sounds like you speak from experience with a particular edition in mind.
My Grandfather's copy does not have the travel guide to the Channel Islands, it was published by Peter Fenelon Collier, New York and no copyright date.
Based on the appearance, I'm sure it dates from latter part of the 19th century.

The dedication is worth quoting:

"I dedicate this book
to the rock of hospitality and liberty,
to that portion of old Norman ground
inhabited by
the noble little nation of Guernsey,
severe yet kind, my present asylum,
perhaps my tomb." ... V.H.

WyattGwyon
04-25-2013, 08:47 AM
The first time I read Toilers of the Sea it was an old edition from the library which I'm pretty sure was missing the opening essay. The modern edition I own, unsurprisingly, includes it.

I happened to catch your post during lunch today.
It sounds like you speak from experience with a particular edition in mind.
My Grandfather's copy does not have the travel guide to the Channel Islands, it was published by Peter Fenelon Collier, New York and no copyright date.
Based on the appearance, I'm sure it dates from latter part of the 19th century.

The dedication is worth quoting:

"I dedicate this book
to the rock of hospitality and liberty,
to that portion of old Norman ground
inhabited by
the noble little nation of Guernsey,
severe yet kind, my present asylum,
perhaps my tomb." ... V.H.