PDA

View Full Version : well duh!

Unregistered
07-27-2003, 01:00 AM
i don't know why you thought it was a good book. How you didn't fall asleep near the beginning seems like a miracle to me. This novel is the most boring novel and i feel that people like you who found it interesting should get out more!

Unregistered
06-07-2004, 01:00 AM
You shouldn't say how the MArtians are finally defeated, because a lot of people reading you review haven't read (or finished) the book yet. One of the owrst things to do to someone is to tell them the ending of a book they really love. That appened to me with Lord of the Flies, and it would have happened with this book from your review were it not for the fact that I've seen the movie.

Ben
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
This is a good book. i was skeptical when i started, but in the end it proved itself quite a good book. There are enough plot twists to keep you wondering, and the use of the brother provides a pleasent second point of view of the whole event. The best idea of the whole book, is that while the best of earths forces are failin, the martians are defeated by the smallest and humblest of things on earth, the common germ. a wonderful use of irony. That, and Well's conception of the unearthly weapons was quite prophetic. The heat ray bears similarities to the laser and black gas to todays chemical and biological weapons. also, his idea of the war machines built on tripods. this too is an unused, and albeit, unusual method of transport. The tentacled machines are also interesting, as they are also a technology which humans have yet to even explore. all in all a good book, filled with irony, and yet prophetic and philosophical. "two thumbs up"