PDA

View Full Version : Midnight in Paris

Ecurb
06-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Jazz and movies go well together, especially with musician and director Woody Allen at the helm. "Midnight in Paris" opens with Stephane Wrembel's jazz guitar theme "Bistro Fada" accompanying views of Paris. It's a color version of Allen's opening to "Manhattan" -- and every bit as gorgeous.

At one point in the montage, it starts raining -- and Paris looks even better in the rain than in the sunshine.

The plot involves our protaganist Gil Bender buzzing aroung Paris with his awful fiance, her parents, and the ersatz intellectual "Paul" (who prefaces his constant impromptu lectures with, "If I'm not mistaken"). In one of the jokes, Paul is corrected on a point of fact by the gorgeous Carla Bruni, who is playing the role of a museum guide. Gil prefers walking in the rain to hanging out with Paul and the fiance (who wouldn't?), so he walks off by himself and is transported back in time to the '20s, where his unpublished novel is read by Gertrude Stein, and he hangs out with Scott, Zelda, Cole, Pablo, Salvador, Luis, and Earnest.

The plot is a lightweight confection -- but the movie is a love song, sung to Paris. Several Cole Porter numbers (although not, amazingly, "Paris loves Lovers") feature. Gil's fiance, museum guide, new love interest (Madeleine Cottilard), and record shop sales girl are all lovely -- but none is as beautiful as the City of Lights, with the warm rain falling across her shoulders.

Next up: Werner Herzog's "Cave of Forgotten Dreams".

LitNetIsGreat
06-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Nice review. I hope to be able to see the film though I don't know when it's on in the UK. The opening sounds very interesting as does the sights of Paris and the constant buzz of jazz that runs through most of Woody's films.

OrphanPip
06-28-2011, 04:55 PM
It's probably a middle of the pack Woody Allen movie, but that still makes it worth seeing. Fun movie for lit buffs too.

I just wish I didn't hate Owen Wilson, that would have helped me enjoy it more.

LitNetIsGreat
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
OK great. It doesn't seem to have a UK release date yet which is a pain.

Ecurb
06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
It's probably a middle of the pack Woody Allen movie, but that still makes it worth seeing. Fun movie for lit buffs too.

I just wish I didn't hate Owen Wilson, that would have helped me enjoy it more.

I'll grant that it's not "Manhattan". As I said earlier, the plot is a "lightweight confection." However, plot, character development, and even humor are merely incidental in this movie. It's all about the music and the visuals (that's what sets it above most of Allen's recent movies, at any rate).

The literary legends are caricatures, perhaps representing Pender's fantasies. They are mildly amusing -- at best. But the fiance and her parents are funny (if a bit lightweight). In terms of humor, character and plot, it's middle of the pack Allen (if not lower). This movie's praiseworthy qualities lie elsewhere. It definitely made me want to buy tickets for Paris and pray for rain. It's gorgeous.

By the way, I saw a trailer for Terence Malik's "Tree of Life" (which hasn't made it to Eugene yet). Malik's movies are often a hodgepodge, and the plots meander, but (like "Midnight in Paris") they are uniformly beautiful (the single most important quality in any movie -- who doesn't like looking at pretty pictures?). The trailer was spectacular.

OrphanPip
06-29-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm mixed about Tree of Life. The middle of the film is beautiful and engrossing. It involves vignettes of a childhood in small-town America, and manages to be interesting off of the strength of the simple, sad beauty of it. It somehow manages to hold interest with only the vaguest outline of a plot.

The beginning of the film is visually stunning, but didn't engage me much. It involves snatches of conversation that establish the plot that dominates the middle of the film, the rest of it involves snatches of visuals of nature, both organic and inorganic.

The ending felt cliche and wasn't very interesting at all, the ending part is quite short though.

The basic structure of the film is of course birth, life, and death.