PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

papayahed
06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Why can't I find a good pair?????:mad2: I may have to go with the over the ear kind.

Shalot
06-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Have you tried JVC Marshmallow earbuds? I listen to my ipod with those. I can't use the ones that come with the ipod. The Marshmallow ones stay in pretty well and aren't that uncomfortable. Anyway, that's what I like.

Or are you talking about the kind of thing that fits over your head...

papayahed
06-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Have you tried JVC Marshmallow earbuds? I listen to my ipod with those. I can't use the ones that come with the ipod. The Marshmallow ones stay in pretty well and aren't that uncomfortable. Anyway, that's what I like.

Or are you talking about the kind of thing that fits over your head...

I don't think I've tried JVC Marshmallow. I've tried a crap ton of the in-ear headphones and most of them either give me a headache or make my ears itchy. I've tried those sports ones but those never fit very well or stay on so I'm thinking of these:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/647179.jpg

However they are pricey and I don't know if it will be any better.

Shalot
06-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Have not tried those. They look a little frightening, but I've never tried them so I can't say. I went through several kinds of earbuds and things before I found those Marshmallow things. The thing about earbuds is that they are in the ear so it's kind of hard to try them out without buying them first.

The Marshmallow things are sort of squishy so they kind of plug into your ears and they work for my purposes which is sometimes working out, or using them at work. Don't know if you like the squishy kind of thing. I got my mom something that had a similar shape. She liked them better than the standard earbuds but I didn't like them as well as my JVC Marshmallows. Hers were Skullcandy.

My Marshmallow buds can get kind of crusty though...too much information but that's the deal.

My brother can actually use those ipod earbuds. I can't stand them. They hurt. they don't fit. And over the head over the earphones are old. I feel dumb wearing those.

papayahed
06-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Have not tried those. They look a little frightening, but I've never tried them so I can't say. I went through several kinds of earbuds and things before I found those Marshmallow things. The thing about earbuds is that they are in the ear so it's kind of hard to try them out without buying them first.

The Marshmallow things are sort of squishy so they kind of plug into your ears and they work for my purposes which is sometimes working out, or using them at work. Don't know if you like the squishy kind of thing. I got my mom something that had a similar shape. She liked them better than the standard earbuds but I didn't like them as well as my JVC Marshmallows. Hers were Skullcandy.

My latest pair were skull candy, those made my ears itch.

My Marshmallow buds can get kind of crusty though...too much information but that's the deal.

haha, I always worry about that.

My brother can actually use those ipod earbuds. I can't stand them. They hurt. they don't fit. And over the head over the earphones are old. I feel dumb wearing those.

oh, I hate the ones that come with ipods/mp3s. The over the head ones are making a comeback but I agree they do seem a little cumbersome.

billl
06-18-2011, 08:59 PM
However they are pricey and I don't know if it will be any better.

I was a big fan of (mid-price?) Sennheiser, and had a nice (over the ear, headband and everything, but not the complete "suction cup" type coverage) pair that lasted for more than 6 years before the wires went bad somewhere. I happened to not want to spend that much on another pair right at that time, and they were basically impossible to fix on my own because the wiring on them is such that they rarely go bad, but when they do, they aren't as easy to fix as typical headphones. (The grounds are a collection of tiny strands/fibers individually coated in some sort of insulation, difficult to scrape off without completely cutting the fibers.)

Anyhow, I did a ton of research and ended up discovering that KOSS has some budget phones that look a lot like the Bose pair pictured above. The amazing thing is that they are outfitted with drivers (etc., I forget the headphone tech lingo right now) that are pretty comparable to my old Sennheisers.

I ordered them online, and they are fantastic. It took a day or so to get the hang of putting them on, and after 3 weeks it became effortless, second nature. The sound is different than that of my old Sennheiser's, but I definitely wouldn't say the Koss were a step down--it just ended up sort of like a slight change in EQ or something, like two slightly different presets in iTunes or whatever.

Do some searches and read some reviews, etc. and maybe give them a shot--it's a cheap way to find out if your ears and lifestyle can handle that sort of design, and the quality is amazing--certainly enough to tide you over until Christmas or your next windfall, if you really want to get something more expensive down the road. My only complaint: the two phones just dangling around when not in use can get tangled up pretty good now and then when I move my laptop around or whatever. Anyhow, I used to have a $75 Sennheiser set and they were a revelation when I spurged on them years ago--and these KOSS things are just as good.

Also maybe important with this sort of design: if your break them, you just have to pay the shipping to get them replaced, a lifetime guarantee, at least it was when I got them. I've had them for several months, and I got a feeling they won't be breaking anytime soon, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

No, I do not work for KOSS.

Nietzsche
06-18-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a pair of HAS150 headphones from JVC.. They're great sounding.

If you need or want an extra long cable, the Sony MDR-V150 Monitor Series has a 6 foot cable. They also sound great. They get plenty loud as well.

A good way to see if headphones are good is to look at the frequency range.

An average set has about 20 hz to 20 khz, and sometimes less.. The better sounding ones have a wider response. Even when the levels go past human hearing range, they still sound better because the phones are good enough to go that high, so you get a better sound. Also the human mind still is affected by frequencies that are not directly audible.

However when it comes to the sound range, sometimes packages will more or less lie. I've heard headphones marked with a wide range, and it was obvious they were not that good.

Stick with SONY and JVC headphones for budget priced headphones, they sound the best for the money in my experience

Also when the higher the Ohms (the number next to the omega symbol on the back of a box), the more power is required to drive them. Stick with 32 or less for Mp3 players or portable devices. Both of my recommendations are 32 for JVC and 24 for Sony.

Something from Shure or Sennheisser will probably be good if you have a bigger budget, but if it's a high impedance (more than 32 Ohms, something like 250 Ohms) you will need a headphone amp.. The Fiio E5 is only about 20 dollars.

MystyrMystyry
06-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Creative EP-630 are mine of choice - good all round tone, inexpensive ($20 from a Tandy, and that is they 'happen' to be inexpensive - they're far better than all the expensive ones I tried: you name the brand and price, I tried it), no discernible distortion and minimal colouring, and sound excellent with Sony bass boost on my mp3 player (ie they carry great bass).

However, I liked them so much I bought 3 further pairs for future-proofing about three years ago, so though I'm still on the original set (and probably shall be for the next twenty years), they're getting harder to find in shops, but if you hurry Amazon still have 5 pairs left

Though if you want them for your ipad you may find the cord a bit short and the lack of L-plug a put-off

papayahed
06-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I was a big fan of (mid-price?) Sennheiser, and had a nice (over the ear, headband and everything, but not the complete "suction cup" type coverage) pair that lasted for more than 6 years before the wires went bad somewhere. I happened to not want to spend that much on another pair right at that time, and they were basically impossible to fix on my own because the wiring on them is such that they rarely go bad, but when they do, they aren't as easy to fix as typical headphones. (The grounds are a collection of tiny strands/fibers individually coated in some sort of insulation, difficult to scrape off without completely cutting the fibers.)

OK, you owe me!! I went to the store to look for the KOSS and the marshmallows and a saw some Sennheisers. No Koss of Marshmallows to speak of. Anyways after reading the package and comparing them to the Bose earphones pictured above I bought the Sennheisers. I've worn them once to work out and they seem a little weird.

Shalot
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
The only place I've seen Marshmallows is at Wal-Mart...they were about 19.99 or something. Mainly, I was recommending them for comfort. I read the other posts about sound quality and I'm not into that...I mean, I'm probably somewhat deaf or something. They could suck as far as sound quality goes and I wouldn't know it. But, they don't bug me when I put them in my ear. You may be different though. I don't know if they'd be worth the trip to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is always a trip.

MystyrMystyry
06-28-2011, 11:38 PM
My Creatives are rated 6 Hz - 23 kHz, which is damn right, loud if you want them to be - perfect really :) I'm a very happy customer!

Thankyou Creative for creating such a stupendous product!

billl
06-29-2011, 12:38 AM
OK, you owe me!! I went to the store to look for the KOSS and the marshmallows and a saw some Sennheisers. No Koss of Marshmallows to speak of. Anyways after reading the package and comparing them to the Bose earphones pictured above I bought the Sennheisers. I've worn them once to work out and they seem a little weird.

Hey, whoa, oh no! I recommended the KOSS ones like the Bose pair in that pic up there. The Sennheiser's I had were PX-100's, and they were a standard one-piece thing (not sure how they would work while running, etc.). The KOSS ones were less than $15...

If you got Sennheiser's (partly?) because I raved about the brand, well, I hope the sound is good--sorry. Did you get a pair that fits like the ones in the Bose pic (each hooking on individually?)? Maybe like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-OMX60-Ergonomic-Earbuds-Basswind/dp/B001KOB7E8/ref=sr_1_32?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309321882&sr=1-32

If so, I hope you can get used to them (although they wouldn't sound any better than average phones at that price...). Looks like you can bend the ear-holder things, to make them fit better? Maybe you can return them...?

papayahed
06-30-2011, 08:46 PM
The only place I've seen Marshmallows is at Wal-Mart...they were about 19.99 or something. Mainly, I was recommending them for comfort. I read the other posts about sound quality and I'm not into that...I mean, I'm probably somewhat deaf or something. They could suck as far as sound quality goes and I wouldn't know it. But, they don't bug me when I put them in my ear. You may be different though. I don't know if they'd be worth the trip to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is always a trip.

I found a pair on amazon. I have to admit I as a little disappointed because they were made of the same material as my earplugs at work. Which in hindsight I don't know why I didn't realize that to begin with. Anyways they are pretty ok. I'll wear them.

Hey, whoa, oh no! I recommended the KOSS ones like the Bose pair in that pic up there. The Sennheiser's I had were PX-100's, and they were a standard one-piece thing (not sure how they would work while running, etc.). The KOSS ones were less than $15...

If you got Sennheiser's (partly?) because I raved about the brand, well, I hope the sound is good--sorry. Did you get a pair that fits like the ones in the Bose pic (each hooking on individually?)? Maybe like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-OMX60-Ergonomic-Earbuds-Basswind/dp/B001KOB7E8/ref=sr_1_32?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309321882&sr=1-32

If so, I hope you can get used to them (although they wouldn't sound any better than average phones at that price...). Looks like you can bend the ear-holder things, to make them fit better? Maybe you can return them...?

sorry bill just messing with you. I read about the sennheisers AND these particular earphones were touted as sport earphones (Addias tie in) AND they were cheaper then the Bose. Actually I'm putting these in the pretty ok catergory as well.

The search for the perfect earphone/headphones continues....

billl
06-30-2011, 08:57 PM
OK then, papayahead, I got you. Maybe this new style will get more comfortable with time--then again, even if your head isn't actually shaped like a papaya, there's certainly cases where people can't get the twist-on-the-ear thing to work for them.

MystyrMystyry
06-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Other things I like about the Creatives are how incredibly light they are, how comfortable they are with such a snug fit (can't even tell you're wearing them), and the stereo separation is something to marvel at.

I highly recommend this product

papayahed
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM
OK then, papayahead, I got you. Maybe this new style will get more comfortable with time--then again, even if your head isn't actually shaped like a papaya, there's certainly cases where people can't get the twist-on-the-ear thing to work for them.

As you can see from my pic that my ears are kinda in a weird spot, which is probably why I'm having all these issues:

http://anahata.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b62369e2010535dfb14e970b-800wi

Other things I like about the Creatives are how incredibly light they are, how comfortable they are with such a snug fit (can't even tell you're wearing them), and the stereo separation is something to marvel at.

I highly recommend this product

I just checked those out on amazon, those will be my next try.

papayahed
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Stop the presses! I found the perfect headphones. I've been eyeballing the Bose IE2 headphones all summer but kept avoiding them because of the price. I checked and I have about eight pairs of headphones and none are worth a crap. About a month ago I saw the Bose and finally broke down and bought them. Love Them!!!!! They don't go in the ears like buds yet they stay in place and don't get in the way of my glasses.

MystyrMystyry
12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Eight pairs including he Creatives you mean?

But if the objective was for them to not go in your ears I guess that makes sense. The idea from my perspective is to block as much external noise as possible. Anyway, glad you've found your thing Papaya - and I'll be checking them out directly ;)

billl
12-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Mission accomplished, then--must be quite a relief. And it's interesting to see that the brand isn't getting automatically linked to the company's website, like it had been recently...

Jack of Hearts
12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Rocking the KOSS. Impressed with what $12.95 can do. Good point, williaml!

J

billl
12-04-2011, 10:14 PM
All right! High five!

MystyrMystyry
12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Ordered! :)

(Can't argue with that many positive reviews ;) )

JuniperWoolf
12-04-2011, 10:56 PM
My boyfriend demolished my really good headphones. I've had them for ten years, he has them for ten minutes and they fall apart. Now I have terrible headphones, they don't go loud enough and the cord is WAY too long.

tonywalt
12-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Bose Quietcomfort 15 is very good. And sturdy for the gym too.

papayahed
12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Eight pairs including he Creatives you mean?

ok, I forgot all about the creatives. :blush2:

But if the objective was for them to not go in your ears I guess that makes sense. The idea from my perspective is to block as much external noise as possible. Anyway, glad you've found your thing Papaya - and I'll be checking them out directly ;)

They do go in my ear, but not like buds. Buds make my ears itch.

Bose Quietcomfort 15 is very good. And sturdy for the gym too.

Ya! I've worked out twice with mine and they stayed put. Did I mention I love them??