PDA

View Full Version : People Without Music

MystyrMystyry
06-09-2011, 06:59 PM
It's come to my attention recently that some people have no music - that is not to suggest they don't hear and appreciate music, just that they don't hum tunes and don't have favorite songs, they don't search out music new or old - it just doesn't occur to them that it's important

I usually listen to music on a small Sony mp3 player with bass boost and noise reducing earplugs - and my collection is quite vast and encompasses all genres (except Chinese traditional - the most cynical noise I've ever experienced though ymmd) which I listen to fairly religiously, though automatically would be the closer word

For those who have been following that tragedy that is my landlord, I was aware that before his ascent to the rooftop, when he still had one foot in an approximation of reality (though the other in the bin) while he was busy banging and jack hammering and chainsawing and band-sawing and whatever in his shed behind my house, driving the neighbourhood nuts and the birds away - between those moments there was no radio

Nor whistling, nor any kind of emotional expression of internal happiness - he was, in short, a dud

Now some of the things he has created with the callouses on his old gnarled hands I would call works of genius (I say 'some', and advisedly - certainly not all - and yes I would personally prefer there to be a glimmer of social genius instead), but they were created from a mind which appeared to possess no music - not rhythm, not reason, nor rhyme

And I think this is why he started living on my roof (though not 'my' roof apparently) - in the vain hope God would call for to take him away, because down here there was nothing for him

However, I arrived home the other day and decided on a steaming hot bath to ease my overworked muscles (not really a decision actually - more an obvious necessity) and on the roof was the landlord, eating his picnic lunch and walking round aimlessly

So here I was relaxing in the bath and didn't particularly want to be disturbed by the sound of his climbing boots (who can say what mental Everests he was conquering?) nor be reminded of the situation - so I played a cd on nearly maximum volume - with speakers in the loungeroom the sound had had to transgress the kitchen and laundry before entering the bathroom - sufficiently loudly let's say

Anyway, a minute or two later I was disturbed by an excited shouting through the window - it was the landlord who had descended from above for the sole purpose to find out what the music was

Now my guess was that in the process of constructing the roof all those years ago he'd arrived at some sort of epiphany, and had been seeking an update (or that he was just bonkers, but I'll go with the epiphany)

For many weeks now I hadn't actually had verbal discourse with him on any subject, owing to there being nothing much to say - the weather's been bleak and he'd flipped his lid and was living on my roof - and I've had much preferable things to do - like avoiding him at all costs (he is the landlord after all, bonkers or elsewise)

So why now at this most inauspicious moment had he chosen to disrupt my peace?

Simply because he without music had been woken

There is a saying 'music has charms to sooth the savage beast' [Kipling? I'm not sure - I've never Kipled]

Well evidently it also has charms to awaken the savage landlord - from a state of morbid docility. He repaired the hole he'd made in the roof, began packing up his multitudinous ladders, and to this day hasn't stepped foot on the tiles since (touch wood)

So what is to be educed by this observation? Whenever possible play your music at a level others can hear from actual speakers (not earbuds which spell certain deaf) and it will disarm any potential psychotic episodes and roof stompers in their tracks

Incidentally the cd was Robert Plant And The Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger (cosmic, no?)

qimissung
06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
The power of music! I think you learned your lesson, Mystyry. Loud music solves problems. I wish it had ever done that for me. However, as useless as it has ever proved in my life, I have always enjoyed it, though.

Was he a savage beast and soothed, I wonder? maybe you could make a mixed tape for him? :D

MystyrMystyry
06-10-2011, 05:35 AM
He's subconsciously savage qimi - or just plain unaware of the distress he causes

It was good before he moved in to the shed, but it's been a cacophony of noise ever since

His residence on the roof was a welcome break from what I had to endure before - the sheer amount of noise he produces, the quantity of mess and rubbish in the yard generated, is so disproportionate to what he's actually creating that - he's bonkers...

I have quite considerable further complaints I could add, but suffice to say that now he's experienced his enlightenment (or downloaded his upgrade) it's been straight back to his old ways - nothing's changed for the better

Today he cut my hot water supply and refused to provide an explanation or correct what he'd done

Maybe it's time to call his family (with a view to a nursing home) - whom, because they've all grown up and moved out (to get away from him?) don't realise the state he's in - they're used to him being this way, and when they occasionally see him they think he's just behaving 'normal' (though his son did make a joke once about what a general nuisance he is when both occupied and not, and how impossible it had been to study with the old man hanging around - so it's been going on a long time)

Maximilianus
06-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I discovered music when I was at high school. I seem to have had no need for it before that. Before, during and after music my problems remain exactly where they've always been. However, ever since I discovered my most suitable sounds, they have played a major therapeutic role on my daily ordeals. That is, they give me a hand at standing up and striking back after a fall. I often resort to tragedy, with a mixture of rage and grief, which is very frequently my mood, because in this way I feel accompanied in my misery :)

Added to this I can mention the chirps of birds on the branches of the trees around my house that awake me in the morning. A horse's neigh sounds like a melody to me as well.

Mutatis-Mutandis
06-11-2011, 12:43 AM
I couldn't live without music, and I don't think I'm being hyperbolic. There's always been the question of what would you rather be, blind or deaf? Easy one for me. The only huge draw for keeping my vision is the ability to read, and there's always books on tape.

tailor STATELY
06-11-2011, 01:52 AM
I've always loved music; can't imagine anyone not in tune (sic). My Uncle and Aunts were into the 50's Rock n'Roll scene when I was younger, (well, it was the 50's after all), when I got bit by the bug in Seattle. Living in the SF Bay Area growing up in the 60's provided much fodder for an eclectic music education.

My pride and joy #2, (music wise), was an ancient tape recorder that I would use to tape AM music from KFRC, KYA radio stations broadcasting from SF (don't tell the music police, LOL [seriously - don't]). #1 was an AM radio that I believe didn't need batteries ( but then it must of ? ) that I bought through a comic magazine ad. It would allow me to clip a lead to a piece of metal to pull in AM music stations while relaxing on the top bunk of an old bunk bed set made predominately of 4X4's (prolly from the army barracks of FT. Lawton (sp?)) where my Dad was de-commissioned - I'm a little hazy in my recollection), but the radio worked fine!

My parents were into Perry Como, Sinatra, and the ilk mostly. I can still remember my Dad cranking up his brand-new stereophonic sound system circa 1960 to announce to the neighborhood: 1. he could afford one and 2. his taste in music sucked (he blasted some bizarre early brand of percussion noise that sounded like [derogatory]... like a bastardized version of the classic "Popcorn" by Hot Buttered which wasn't produced until later).

5th/6th grade, mid-1960's, was when I decidedly began to follow the more progressive sounds which would spawn the "psychedelic" sound. I still tend toward "progressive" modes of expression when in the mood, though I enjoy most genres. "Elevator" music is what I listen to mostly now (Direct TV channel 856 out here in Cali) and I adore Hymns.

But then this is prolly ancient history to all y'all and I'll leave it at that.

byb MM - your intro might make for a fine article/short story.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
tailor STATELY

( Plant & Zep - thumbs up [I can't get the smilies to cooperate] )

OrphanPip
06-11-2011, 01:55 AM
I don't know if it's a good idea to always blast your music. My neighbour plays his harp at all hours and it drives me nuts. Normally a harp is a soothing instrument, but not after 5 hours of someone repeating the same melody over and over.

Delta40
06-11-2011, 03:32 AM
My concentration is low atm Mr but you have the makings of a great story here. Please dive in and come up all shiny and wet with something for us to enjoy....

JuniperWoolf
06-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Sometimes I don't like music. I get sick of all varieties of music for months at a time. I hate it when people say that music is their life or their reason for living because I often can't stand it. Actually, that must piss deaf people off too.

L.M. The Third
06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm surprised nobody's quoted the bard yet. "The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not move'd with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, strategems, and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted."

Personally, I just apply such a judgment to those who I think listen to hideous music. Unfortunately, that's almost everyone, since my taste in music is confined to sacred and classical music. Yes, I am misanthropic. :biggrin5:

Panglossian
06-17-2011, 05:50 PM
No dreams, no music.

Big Dante
07-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Not many things that can draw emotion like a good song.

I know quite a lot of people who don't listen to music and then there is being a college with the music that most of my peers actually listen to. To me the purpose of music is for a talent musician to connect to the listener through method such as lyrics, instrument or vocals but the auto-tuned, synth stuff really gets to me. And this is coming from a sixteen year old....

irinmisfit92
09-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Lol that story's brilliant but I don't think blasting your music would be a good idea considering that your neighbours would feel disturbed as well. It's hard to live with other people, but at least they don't live in the same unit as you do. I live with 4 other people in this dorm and it kills me whenever some of them speak so loudly in their own languages. You should just talk to him and ask him not to make so much noises. I don't understand why people blast off their music so loudly; it's very disrespectful and they can always use headphones if they really want loud ones and it will only be them who enjoy the music.

Without music, life is just dead for me. It's extremely boring.