PDA

View Full Version : trojan horse

Fred
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I've read both epics now and it seems that Homer's depiction of the war is not as complete as I expected. Still, some researchers and scholars swear that Homer told of the Trojan Horse and the deaths of other war figures after Hector's. Maybe they mean Odysseus' tale in the Odyssey? I saw a documentary on Troy which says emphatically that the final assault on Troy and the 'horse' tactic was described by Homer. Did I overlook something in the writing? Is this true?

Ollivonders
12-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Homer may have very well written about the Trojan Horse and such, but the Iliad and the Odyssey I believe are the only remaining works of his (hers?); the others have been destroyed or lost (Thank you, Ceasar). However, summaries survived time and that's what we have to look at now.

TalentedNobody
11-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Did you read all of the Iliad? i think you may have gotten an incomplete text, Odysseus explains his ruse to Agamemnon around the campfire during the funeral games for Hector, important characters such as the Hector's father and Agamemnon both die, and Troy is conquered, with Aeneus and a few others escaping.

Mary...
04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Did you read all of the Iliad? i think you may have gotten an incomplete text, Odysseus explains his ruse to Agamemnon around the campfire during the funeral games for Hector, important characters such as the Hector's father and Agamemnon both die, and Troy is conquered, with Aeneus and a few others escaping.

I just re-read all of the Iliad and it ended with Hector's funeral. None of that other stuff was in there. Perhaps I didn't have a complete text either. Where can a find a complete text?

P.S. I already tried the library

JCamilo
04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
It is in the Odissey, the momment Homer reffers to it. If I am not mistaken, told to Thelemacus and then latter to Odysseus himself. But it is brief, not detailed.

Sionn Harrow
04-03-2011, 05:44 PM
I personally thought that the Iliad ended at a very weird place. The Trojan horse is mentioned no where in it. It's described in book four of the Odyssey and mentioned briefly in book 8 verse 487. (Other details concerning what happened after Hector died can also be found in book four.)
The Greeks were less concerned with what happened during the Trojan war, than with the men who died in it. This is because they believed that man was the measure of all things, and that men who attained glory in battle were higher than even the gods. Think about the statues dedicated to people as "low" as a dead footman, these people were not messing around.
So that's why the Iliad has pretty much nothing about the actual war.