PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey

Mr. John Donaleski
06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
I know not what has prompted me to write a reply to your letter as it will likely never be perused, yet somehow I will divine satisfaction from its presence. That you believe it took Homer "alot of time to create the Odyssey and approximately the same amount of time to create the Iliad" troubles me greatly. I am troubled because either I've been lied to by my Cambridge associates or you, sir, are privied to a divination source more accurate than the Delphic Oracle. Both possibilities frighten me. You see, you speak definitively as if Homer is a singular person and that he absolutely created both works in their intirety. The more scholarly approach (and more evidentially proven one) is that the two were ballads sung by minstrels (or lays sung by troubadores if you hail from the south of France) and were altered minutely to appease the varying audiences. From differing tones, it is entirely possible that the two epics were crafted by separate entities. I pray that many people don't "know this fact," for if they did, they would hold what Plato calls a dangerous incorrect opinion which poses as truth. :)

Erkan Sahin
03-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Both books, Iliad and Odyssey are fantastic books. The way they are written are fantastic as well. Let me correct you in one matter first: Iliad is a place not a person like Odysseus. Iliad is the city of Troy itself. In other words everything the children know about Troy means they know about Iliad. Shortly ILIAD=TROY.... That means Iliad is even far more well known than Odyssey. <br> Every small child who is familiar with western culture, no matter which nationality, knows "Beautiful Helen", "Trojan Horse", "The Fall of Troy" and similar stories. Knowing all these are as good as knowing "Iliad", so Iliad is as famous... But first of all the teachers should learn what Iliad means.<br> Odyssey covers mostly the adventures of one leader, Odysseus, trying to take his men back to the home land, Greece. They are all very interesting and masterpiece of a great poet, native of ancient Smyrna, Homeros.

Mr. Maxamillion Johnson
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Yes, the Iliad is fabulous, and so is the Odyssey, but i have a comment. Many of my students have never heard of the Iliad, and neither have their parents!! Of course, the Odyssey is well known throughout the entire school. I wish that the Iliad was as well known as the Odyssey, as it is such a wonderful work of art. It is just as good as the Odyssey. Some people just don't appreciate the hard work of a famous author. It took Homer a lot of time to create the Odyssey, and approximately the same amount of time to create the Iliad. they are both wonderful and interesting, but somehow, the Odyssey will forever be more famous and more popular than the Iliad. I hope you post this on your website, I think that many people don't know this fact, and i hope that soon they will. Thank you!!