PDA

View Full Version : June '11 Elimination

Scheherazade
06-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Please vote for the story you like best and the winner will be taking part in the final vote at the end of the year.

Discussion of the stories, to avoid influencing the outcome of the poll, are not allowed.

If contributers would like to ask questions, they should email us at [email protected].

Please note that the authors agree to keep their identities secret when they enter the competition.
Those who breach this rule will be disqualified automatically.

Good luck, everyone! :)

Competition Rules (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18200)

Note: This poll will close on July 1, 2011.

DocHeart
06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Some splendid writing here. It sums up why I enjoy this forum so much.

Will let the stories ferment in my head before I decide which one to vote for, though :)

Scheherazade
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Some splendid writing here. It sums up why I enjoy this forum so much.

Will let the stories ferment in my head before I decide which one to vote for, though :)I agree, Doc.

An amazing range of stories, the writing quality never failing.

And...

I think this is a record for us! Most stories submitted ever in one month!

:)

Steven Hunley
06-04-2011, 01:58 AM
This is a good bunch of stories, and quite a few at that. There's talent and hard workers about.

Nikhar
06-04-2011, 08:03 AM
So few stories ...would be over in a jiffy :p

ACroDog
06-04-2011, 08:38 AM
So, hello. I've been reading from this site on and off for years now. Never thought to join, and it just made sense to do it today. =]

So........

AuntShecky
06-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Nine entries for this round! That's really remarkable.

An even more remarkable outcome would be if the number of voters exceeded the number of entries!

In my increasingly humble opinion, there would be many more votes if the ballot were secret, but then, I don't know if there is a way to have a secret ballot while still insuring against the same person voting more than once.

zoolane
06-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Nine entries for this round! That's really remarkable.

An even more remarkable outcome would be if the number of voters exceeded the number of entries!

In my increasingly humble opinion, there would be many more votes if the ballot were secret, but then, I don't know if there is a way to have a secret ballot while still insuring against the same person voting more than once.

I agree it should be secret because then no one can be disappoint and as well no one should be allow to voting more once.

Maryd.
06-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Well I voted. I like them all. But there were two favourite ones. In the end I thought of the one I would most like to read right now and so made my decision. I do hope it does well. :)

Oh and congrats to the others I didn't vote for I enjoyed reading them so much.

:)

Scheherazade
06-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Well, officially the number of votes passed the number of entries!

So, this month has been a success!

DocHeart
06-06-2011, 04:16 AM

It's an interesting thought, but I'm not sure I understand it fully. I can't easily think of a reason why members are hesitant to vote just because it is not done anonymously. After all, it is not a political poll -- nor is it in any other way of a sensitive nature (at least to my mind).

On the other hand, I think the administrators would be open to any suggestion that gives the competition the attention it deserves. I also *THINK* it is techincally possible with VBulletin to hold anonymous polls while ensuring that each member votes only once. So perhaps they will in time speak to this.

A happy week to everyone.

DH

AuntShecky
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
It's an interesting thought, but I'm not sure I understand it fully. I can't easily think of a reason why members are hesitant to vote just because it is not done anonymously. After all, it is not a political poll -- nor is it in any other way of a sensitive nature (at least to my mind).

On the other hand, I think the administrators would be open to any suggestion that gives the competition the attention it deserves. I also *THINK* it is techincally possible with VBulletin to hold anonymous polls while ensuring that each member votes only once. So perhaps they will in time speak to this.

A happy week to everyone.

DH

What is interesting is that when I voted the other day, I could see the names of previous voters matched with the stories which they voted for. Now, that I've already voted, all I can see is the bar graph. No names.

hillwalker
06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
What is interesting is that when I voted the other day, I could see the names of previous voters matched with the stories which they voted for. Now, that I've already voted, all I can see is the bar graph. No names.

Presumably once you vote you no longer get to see who else has??

I can still see each pollster's name alongside each story (having yet to cast a vote myself).

I also wonder what the etiquette is regarding voting for one's own entry. I would consider that rather ungentle(wo)manly behaviour (even if I thought mine was the best of the bunch) but presumably we are allowed to do so in order to boost our ranking.

H

zoolane
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Presumably once you vote you no longer get to see who else has??

I can still see each pollster's name alongside each story (having yet to cast a vote myself).

I also wonder what the etiquette is regarding voting for one's own entry. I would consider that rather ungentle(wo)manly behaviour (even if I thought mine was the best of the bunch) but presumably we are allowed to do so in order to boost our ranking.

H

Person I have should be secret and I think wrong to be able voting for the story of which you writing.

hillwalker
06-07-2011, 02:26 PM
I think wrong to be able voting for the story of which you writing.

Agreed... but there seems there is nothing to stop us doing this.

H

DocHeart
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Agreed... but there seems there is nothing to stop us doing this.

H

I'm pretty sure, though, that this would be technically impossible. The system has no way of knowing which story you wrote.

DH

zoolane
06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure, though, that this would be technically impossible. The system has no way of knowing which story you wrote.

DH

Yes, the author could because the stories are oringal and title stay same far as I am ware of.

Scheherazade
06-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Just to answer the questions regarding the polling issues, votes are not annonymous as a precaution as in the past there have been attempts to rig the polls. If the poll is annonymous, there is no way for us to see who has voted in the poll.
What is interesting is that when I voted the other day, I could see the names of previous voters matched with the stories which they voted for. Now, that I've already voted, all I can see is the bar graph. No names.After voting, if you clicking on one of number of showing the number of votes, you should be able to see everyone who has cast a vote.

Hope this help put these issues to rest.

I would like to thank everyone who has already voted! :)

aliengirl
06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I was really surprised to see so many entries this time. It took some time to make my decision as I was caught between two of them. Anyway, I'd like to congratulate every writer as each of the story has something special about it.

Nikhar
06-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Impressive number of votes. 18 already! Complete months go by and we still don't get these many votes. And this time we're just 9 days into the month. Awesummm! :D

DocHeart
06-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Voted!

Now looking forward to the battle heating up :)

DH

Sancho
06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Splendid writing, folks. Keep on keeping on, and keep on writing – it’s selfish of me but it helps with my addiction: I’m a short-fiction junkie. Tough choice this go-around.

But, Sancho voted!

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/mollyandbruno/wheresmycookie.jpg

So, what’s wrong with this picture?

Well, I’ll tell ya what: All I’ve got is this piece of dry white toast, but what I really need is a COOKIE!

Scheherazade
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Well, I’ll tell ya what: All I’ve got is this piece of dry white toast, but what I really need is a COOKIE!Oh, all right, then...

Here, ya go...

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/PW660563.jpg

A WW sultana and cinnamon cookie, that is low in sugar, fat and calorie... And probably in taste too but, hey, it is healthy!

Jack of Hearts
06-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Even if they're absurd on some level, this reader loves these competitions.

J

DocHeart
06-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Even if they're absurd on some level, this reader loves these competitions.

J

Well, who couldn't?

Incidentally, are there any cookies which are like, normal? Like, made the normal way? With sugar and butter and pieces of REAL chocolate?

Regards
DH

Scheherazade
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Incidentally, are there any cookies which are like, normal? Like, made the normal way? With sugar and butter and pieces of REAL chocolate?
Here we go:

http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2009/07/94416,xcitefun-chocolate-chip-cookies.jpg

This used to be our usual cookie until Sancho expressed a concern for weight gain so we had to switch to healthier options.

Sancho
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Scher, you’re always watching out for El Sancho’s wellbeing.

But the thought has come to mind that I may have used the wrong Comedic Duo for the dry-white-toast bit.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/mollyandbruno/soulfood.jpg

Jake: Bring me four fried chickens, and a Coke.

Mrs. Murphy (Aretha): You want chicken wings or chicken legs?

Jake: Four fried chickens, and a Coke.

Elwood: And some dry white toast please, ma’am.

Pendragon
06-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Three way stalemate and one story without a single vote. This won't do, you know...

Gilliatt Gurgle
06-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Quite few to get through, but I did and I voted.

Jack of Hearts
06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
It's a neck and neck snail race!

J

DocHeart
06-21-2011, 12:29 PM
It's a neck and neck snail race!

Okay, how about some horse-racing commentary.

(Read the following aloud *very* quickly indeed, and preferably after you have inhaled some helium.)

Kim and Me on the inside, Kim and Me followed by Gray Orchid, Four Little Words fiercely racing up on the outside, Four Little Words trying to open the gap between himself and The Game as they go by the line for the first time, Hioulia/Julia right off the rail catching up with The Game and leading Secret Memory and Field Trip by two legs. Further away back in the field now are Reflections of a Murderer and Archie's Girl. Here they come around the corner, four hundred and fifty to go, and it's Kim and Me leading while Gray Orchid and Four Little Words are gathering pace, now The Game off the stridle goes outside to try and his nose in front, and Hioulia /Julia travels the corner well along with Four Little Words. Very close behind them indeed are Field Day, and it's Reflections of a Murderer and Archie's Girl getting away from the rail as we approach the final stretch...

It's the LitNet Derby!

Regards,
DH

Hawkman
06-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Me? Well, I prefer a steeple chase, and any jocky worth his salt should have pulled up Archie's Girl. I have visions of this poor horse dropping dead just before it reaches the finish. (This actually happened right in front of me a couple of weeks ago, btw. Mind you, it made a very poor showing in the paddock, but the vet didn't notice.)

Jack of Hearts
06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Okay, how about some horse-racing commentary.

(Read the following aloud *very* quickly indeed, and preferably after you have inhaled some helium.)

Kim and Me on the inside, Kim and Me followed by Gray Orchid, Four Little Words fiercely racing up on the outside, Four Little Words trying to open the gap between himself and The Game as they go by the line for the first time, Hioulia/Julia right off the rail catching up with The Game and leading Secret Memory and Field Trip by two legs. Further away back in the field now are Reflections of a Murderer and Archie's Girl. Here they come around the corner, four hundred and fifty to go, and it's Kim and Me leading while Gray Orchid and Four Little Words are gathering pace, now The Game off the stridle goes outside to try and his nose in front, and Hioulia /Julia travels the corner well along with Four Little Words. Very close behind them indeed are Field Day, and it's Reflections of a Murderer and Archie's Girl getting away from the rail as we approach the final stretch...

It's the LitNet Derby!

Regards,
DH

Cracked up at this. The Good Doctor is becoming one of this reader's favorite posters.

J

P.S. Who let Hawk out of the poetry forum?

Sancho
06-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Okay, Doc, you cracked me up too. How about an auctioneer’s song?

ONE dollar, one dolla, - dolla-dolla, I gotta ONE dolla bid

Who’ll gimme 2? One dolla bid, 2? Lady in blue, TWO dolla bid

Who’ll gimme 3? Lady in blue has 2, 3 dolla, 3 dolla, 3 dolla, 3 dollars to the man with the cowlick

Who’ll gimme 4? Man wit a cowlick has 3, Fo dolla, Fo dolla, Fo dolla, Cow done licked him on both sides of his head, 4?, 4 to the man in the cheap suit

Cheap Suit has 4, Who’ll gimme 5? Cheap Suit has 4, where’d ya git thet suit? Who’ll gimme 5? Thet’s a Goodwill suit, Fi dolla, Fi dolla, FIVE to the lady in blue

Lady in blue has 5, who’ll gimme 6? 6 dolla, 6 dolla, Lady in blue has 5, 6 dolla bid, Lady in blue – Cheap Suit’s been lookin’ at yew, who’ll gimme 6?

Goin’ once…who’ll gimme 6?

Goin’ twice…5’s the bid, who’ll gimme 6?

…SOLD! to the Lady in blue.

Could be that I’ve lived south of the Mason-Dickson too long.

Scheherazade
06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Last three days to read the stories and vote for the one you like best!

soundofmusic
06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Splendid writing, folks. Keep on keeping on, and keep on writing – it’s selfish of me but it helps with my addiction: I’m a short-fiction junkie. Tough choice this go-around.

But, Sancho voted!

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/mollyandbruno/wheresmycookie.jpg

Well, I’ll tell ya what: All I’ve got is this piece of dry white toast, but what I really need is a COOKIE!

Poor Olie...well, if I would have seen you, Sancho, I would have brought the cookie and cheesecake wagon...

Oh, all right, then...

Here, ya go...

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/PW660563.jpg

A WW sultana and cinnamon cookie, that is low in sugar, fat and calorie... And probably in taste too but, hey, it is healthy!

Oh, no, Scher, a diet cookie...though, I must admit, Weight watchers makes some great stuff, I once ate a whole box of their ice cream bars...

Well, who couldn't?

Regards
DH
For sure, Doc, me and Sancho worship butter and sugar. Scher is one of those gorgeous red-heads who will have a 20inch waist line when she is 80 because she uses splenda and i cant believe it's not butter.

Here we go:

http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2009/07/94416,xcitefun-chocolate-chip-cookies.jpg

This used to be our usual cookie until Sancho expressed a concern for weight gain so we had to switch to healthier options.

Ah, good for you Scher, see, she takes such good care of us...

[QUOTE=Gilliatt Gurgle;1045174]Quite few to get through, but I did and I voted.

.[/QUOTE}

:grouphug::yesnod:

Pendragon
06-30-2011, 06:43 AM
I just HATE to see this contest end with some poor soul not even getting on vote. Sorry, whoever you are. If I could vote twice, I'd vote for you. :grouphug::grouphug:

Scheherazade
06-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Going once...

Scheherazade
07-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Going twice...

DocHeart
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey Sche, where's your vote? Or do you not indulge? :)

Scheherazade
07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey Sche, where's your vote? Or do you not indulge? :)Because I know the identities of each writer, I do not vote.

Congratulations to the writer of "Kim and Me", who is the winner of our June elimination.

I would like to thank everyone who have submitted stories as well as those who took the time to read them and vote.

If you would like to receive feedback on your stories, please feel free to start individual threads in the Short Story section.

zoolane
07-02-2011, 09:42 AM
I would like thank everyone that readed Archie's Girl.

James Gibbs
08-27-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm a self published author and I'm looking for ways to introduce my wrok to the world - hints I joined this forum. Please go to my website to see what I do at poetrynations.com and poetrythatraps.com. I hope you like what you find. I will be coming back here from time to post events I am participating in. I thank the creator of this site for allowing me to join and I'm looking forward to conversation and help when I need it if some member can help.

Thank You: James Gibbs