PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones/ song of ice and fire

Helga
05-27-2011, 04:35 AM
OK I decided to check out this show Game of Thrones because I saw one of my favorite actor from Stargate Atlantis is in it, a small part but I wanted to see it and if the show was any good. I love it don't know why cause it is so different from the shows I usually watch but I still love it.

Now I was wondering if anyone else likes the show and if anyone has read the books it is based on by George R.R. Martin? I am not sure if I should read 'em cause it is so different like I said from what I usually like and for some reason I have no faith in them, can anyone prove me wrong or told me I'm right?

MystyrMystyry
05-27-2011, 06:03 AM
*Puts hand up*

I've read them! They're really enjoyable to me, but I like that sort of fantasy - Lord of the Rings without Hobbits? Yes please!

This television series is quite excellent - well produced, and does capture the mood of the novels even though subtle details are altered, which really doesn't matter

The only thing with the novels, like any novel, is that 1000000 people may like it, but when you open the cover you discover those people to all have extremely bad taste (lost count of my disappointments)

But as the series goes I think each episode gets better in accordance with the story becoming more and more gripping

Helga
05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I got that feeling watching the show that it was like middle earth with only Men. I might check the books out one day, for now I just love the show. I also feel like every actor is good in his/her part, it is a bit crude, more so than what I usually watch, maybe that is why I like it...

Paulclem
05-27-2011, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't say it's Middle earth without Hobbits. It's a much more realistic/ gritty rendition of a medieval fantasy world. The magic is very much played down and there is a recogniseable realpolitik within the way the characters interact. Everyone I've recommended it to has enjoyed it - ladies and gents.