PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek DS9

Helga
05-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I have been having computer problems so I decided to catch up on DS9, or reconnect is the correct term I think. I have been watching it just one or two shows when I have the time but with no computer I watched a lot this past week or so. I am enjoying it a lot and I can say it is my favorite ST series.

I just love Garak and Gul Dukat, Bashir and of course Dax she is great, Jadzia that is.

It's the first time we see religion in such a big role, I can't say I love the progress it makes but I like it.

so are there any other STDS9 fans here?

papayahed
05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I watched the first few seasons but then lost track of it arounf the time Worf showed up which is weird because I love me some Worf.

billl
05-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I watched the first two seasons, then had limited access to a TV for a couple years. I could have caught DS9 season 3 when it aired, but I was fine with not seeing it, because I thought the first two seasons were basically just "OK", or only a little better than OK. Instead, I watched Voyager when that started, and really loved that series.

Anyhow, I have since learned that DS-9 is widely-regarded as the best Star Trek--particularly beginning with Season 3-- and maybe one of the best Sci-Fi series of all time. At least I have something to look forward to, whenever I get around to watching Season 3 and the rest of it...

It also turns out that a lot of Trek fans think Voyager is the worst Trek of them all, which sort of surprises me--I guess it might have something to do with it being on the air at the same time that DS9 turned awesome, and me having nostalgia for Voyager or something.

Helga
05-22-2011, 07:16 PM
what I don't like about Voyager is that so many episodes turned out to be kinda soapy, how many Belanna- Paris episodes did we need to watch?! and that Janeway was kinda annoying! I loved the doctor he was cool and Kes and that whole thing was kinda interesting but there were way to many lame episodes, I remember thinking if there was a really good show than the next 4 would be crap and that is just to much.

I am not saying that every single ds9 episode was good but most of them had something good about them and the few who didn't will be forgotten by the time I see the next episode. I also love Morn, he never says a word but is so important to everyone, also his name reminds you of someone?

Worf is also such a great character and I think that is the only relationship I have enjoyed watching in ST with him and Jadzia Dax, it's never soapy or lame. If I wanted that I would watch gray's anatomy or something.

billl
05-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Wish I could say more about DS9--I did like Odo a lot, and that show (and Voyager) got off to a good start, which distinguished both of them from TNG. I wasn't crazy about having Sisko's son around, but he was less annoying that Wesley. And I liked the Bajoran security woman (I forget her name).

Voyager had the best Doctor of any of the Treks, and a fantastic Vulcan (all three have been great, really). I don't remember the romance stuff so much. Janeway and Chakotay are the pair that come to mind in that regard, and I will admit that they are probably the least interesting Captain/First Officer combination of all of the Star Treks. I don't remember being as bored with some of the episodes as you (Helga) were, however, and I think the episode called "Tuvix" was probably the most powerful episode of Star Trek that I ever saw. But I'm hi-jacking the thread... and I haven't seen the best DS-9 episodes even.

One thing I noticed about Season 2 was that the Ferengi finally became an interesting species for me--I had always thought they were too silly before that, and fun for an episode or two. DS-9 made them fun as important characters for a series of episodes, which I didn't think was going to work out.

OrphanPip
05-22-2011, 09:43 PM
I think DS9 and Voyager are pretty much equal. Enterprise was the worst one. Then it's a toss up between TNG and the original series for best trek.

I've seen pretty much every episode of every series and every movie as well. Minus the animated series.

What DS9 had going for it was more of the Asimovesque space-opera feel, with the wars and the in depth looks at a few alien species rather than the exploration oriented Voyager which was more true to Roddenberry's vision from TNG and TOS. Voyager also had too much of the later season TNG stuff with the extended arcs of dealing with the same aliens over and over. And I've never been that big of a Borg fan. I would probably place DS9 slightly above Voyager, but I don't think there's that much difference in quality between them. Voyager had better Q episodes :p.

ERS
05-23-2011, 02:35 AM
I have long thought DS9 the best ST series of them all. The relationships between the crew members, main characters and Station visitors were very realistic. Avery Brooks was superb as the captain of the station; the tension of the possibility of war was always in the background. Every issue under the Sun was explored in good depth.

Bashir started out as somewhat of a ninny; fortunately, he evolved a bit and was much improved as the series progressed. He and Nana Visitor (Nerys) were (are?) married in "real life."

My favorite episode of DS9 is "Visionary." It deals with a temporal anomaly amidst tensions between the Federation and the Romulans. Bashir and O'Brian are prominent.

I liked the ever-present family dynamics between Quark and his mother, brother, deceased father and members of the Council.

All around, one of the most multi-faceted and well-done sci-fi series (if not the most) produced to date.

In future posts I will comment on some of the other series. I liked them all, with the exception of "Voyager."

Good thread!

Helga
05-23-2011, 04:56 AM
Visitor and Siddig are not married anymore but they have a son and his godfather is Garak! I have seen every single ST episode and movie at least once some a lot more often. TNG was great and of course TOS have some of the best movies, like my personal favorite 'Wrath of Kahn'. Vulcans have always been my favorite specie but Cardasssians are a close second those two characters in DS9 Garak and Gul Dukat are just the coolest guys ever!

I prefer Enterprise to Voyager, it didn't start out very st like and I know some historic references were wrong but when we get to season three and four and the expanse and all that, I loved it! but what I thought was sad about it being cancelled was that for the first time (in my life) I had no new star trek.

I agree that Sisko's son was a bit annoying but I like Nog and he made Jake OK. I think I am watching DS9 for the third time now but I have watched a few episodes more often like the James Bond show and the tribbles one was GREAT.

I think Dax is my favorite female character in all ST maybe it is because Sisko always calls her old man, some people around me say I am like an old man (for a different reason than Dax).

Even though I named the thread ds9 you just talk about any st you want, I just titled it that cause it's the one I am watching at the moment.

TheFifthElement
05-23-2011, 08:44 AM
TNG is my favourite - any series that starts and ends with Q has got to be good. The whole Q idea was one of the best things about the reinvigoration of the Star Trek brand. Other than that, we watched Voyager but Janeway always got on my nerves with her dreadful voice and holier-than-thou attitude (which was shared by Chakotay and Kes, etc, etc). It got more interesting when Kes left and we got Seven of Nine instead, Seven of Nine was an interesting character, but it was a shame how, as with all Star Trek series, they never managed to keep the character consistent. This is the case especially with the Vulcans who seem to be able to display all the negative emotions (pride, arrogance, disdain, etc) without displaying any of the positive ones and yet this is supposed to be an emotionless race? They messed up in the same way with Data who expresses more puzzlement than any other character on any of the series despite puzzlement being an emotive response, but what the hey? At least Data was entertaining, until the movies that is when he got too big for his boots and forced us all to suffer his singing. Grr.

DS9 I didn't like, although I liked some of the characters. Jadzia was always good, and Doctor Bashir and Quark. I hated Sisco as he always came over so sanctimonious, unlike Picard who could be arrogant and bloody minded and wrong and therefore human and I loved how Q always made him look stupid, and that was okay too. Picard is a much more rounded character in that respect. For some reason the Sisco character was always made to come across as somehow untouchable. And don't get me started on Major Kira. Ugh.

Enterprise had a lot of potential but they ruined it, again, by having to make the humans look better than everyone else, and despite the fact that it pre-dated all the other series, the technology looked better and what was all the time travel business? As soon as an episode of Star Trek gets some time travel in it, you know you're in trouble. (Except for the DS9 when they travelled back to the Trouble with Tribbles episode, which was a classic!). Basically the writers want to ignore everything that's gone on before and time travel is their great get out clause. Enterprise would have been so much better if they'd stuck to the crew struggling and getting things wrong and eventually figuring stuff out. But they had to go and get time travelling and of course the Captain had to solve problems much more advanced and complex than any of the later Captains had to. Shame.

Helga
05-23-2011, 10:46 AM
My favorite thing about Picard was the awkward size of his silk robe!

one funny thing is how many Captains like classical music and why that seems to survive through the century's and not the Beatles or the Stones... I know many listen to Klingon opera too but Earth music only seems to focus on classical music and literature.

There are always boring or annoying characters I don't think it is possible to love everyone

and hey what is wrong with Data singing?! he was my favorite on TOS.

Scheherazade
05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I could never get into DS... I enjoyed Next Generation very much but, all said and done, my heart still belongs to Kirk.

*dramatic sigh*