PDA

View Full Version : What is maturity?

jajdude
05-13-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm on fire. I have no idea what is going on.

I have a question. You smart people can answer. What does it mean to be mature? I have no idea.

XQZ
05-13-2011, 02:39 AM
Like a smelly old cheese, for sure that's mature. But to be an even smellier old cheese, depending on lineage, that's vintage.

When you see a kitten playing with a ball of string, that purity is immaturity. But when you see a cat ignoring a ball of string and prefer to sleep with its paws tucked in like it thinks it's a wise old Sphynx, well it might be senility but it's probably maturity.

Vonny
05-13-2011, 02:59 AM
What? I've never had a kitty that didn't want to play with string until it drew its last breath! Sure, they like to sleep when they're old, but they have a hard time resisting a string!

Delta40
05-13-2011, 06:30 AM
maturity is tolerating the younger generation because you know that someday, they're all gonna go downhill too....!

Emil Miller
05-13-2011, 06:39 AM
Maturity is realising that you don't know everything even though you know a little more than when you thought you did.

Buh4Bee
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Maturity is when you reach a point in your life when you accept exactly who you are without regrets.

Cunninglinguist
05-13-2011, 08:46 PM
What is maturity? For those who make it their priority, it is a pretense, a form of insidious conceit, and a breath of air. Maturity isn't important - focus on being a good person and it will follow.

Pensive
05-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I often wonder about that too but the closest answer my mind can come up with has to be learning to make the right choice by analyzing pros and cons of the situation appropriately. Being able to value reason and keeping emotions at an arm's length where necessary.

YesNo
05-14-2011, 06:12 PM
You can tell you're mature when your teenage children won't friend you on facebook.

jajdude
05-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Maturity is when you reach a point in your life when you accept exactly who you are without regrets.

I like this answer. so when does this point happen?

Pensive
05-15-2011, 09:58 AM
You can tell you're mature when your teenage children won't friend you on facebook.

:lol:

And maybe your teenage children are also mature enough to keep their parents away from trouble of finding out :p

YesNo
05-15-2011, 07:55 PM
:lol:

And maybe your teenage children are also mature enough to keep their parents away from trouble of finding out :p
Yeah, they're pretty smart. :lol:

I heard there is this sound that only people under 25 are able to hear. I've had some difficulty trying to locate it, but the following link might be it. I wouldn't know. I can't hear anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on_fAMePqf4

So, if you can hear this sound does that mean you are "immature"?

Maybe there's no sound on the video.

Delta40
05-15-2011, 08:34 PM
What is maturity? For those who make it their priority, it is a pretense, a form of insidious conceit, and a breath of air. Maturity isn't important - focus on being a good person and it will follow.

lol. I'm going to rise above this statement....

Buh4Bee
05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
You can compare this idea to Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. There is a part when he falls through the mountain with the dragon and slays it. When he returns, he is no longer gray but vibrantly white. For some people, it may happens after you have lived life hard and you know what you can and cannot do. And stop trying to do what you cannot or should not and Do what you are capable of.

Alexander III
05-19-2011, 05:19 PM

I heard there is this sound that only people under 25 are able to hear. I've had some difficulty trying to locate it, but the following link might be it. I wouldn't know. I can't hear anything.

Ouch! that sound is really sharp and painful to the ear

Buh4Bee
05-20-2011, 07:47 AM
I'm deaf now!

YesNo
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
So, there's really something on that video!

JuniperWoolf
05-21-2011, 02:50 AM
maturity is tolerating the younger generation because you know that someday, they're all gonna go downhill too....!

That sounds more like "bitterness" than "maturity."

jajdude
05-21-2011, 05:53 AM
It seems this is an unanswerable question.

Nice try though folks.

papayahed
05-21-2011, 07:40 AM
This isn't an easy one to pin down. Here's my stab at a definition: putting ego/feelings aside when faced with situations that require you to do so. Or better yet realizing it's not always about you.

MystyrMystyry
05-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Yes papayah - it's the adoption of responsibility, of taking an active interest in what's happening around you and helping out where you can

It may be deciding to enlist in charity work, putting yourself out there for the benefit of others, or just feeding a pet - but it's accepting the world is bigger than your head and can be improved with as little as a tiny selfless act which has taken barely any time or effort

jajdude
05-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Nice replies papaya and mystyr

Scheherazade
05-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Maybe one stops worrying about maturity once one is truly mature...

You just get on with it.

Propter W.
05-22-2011, 08:00 AM
In my opinion, it's indeed about responsibility. Not necessarily about helping others or putting ego aside. I think it's taking responsibility for your own actions.

There's a sound on the video, but trust me, you're not missing out on anything!

Musicology
05-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Maturity is flying out of the nest.

TheChilly
05-23-2011, 04:26 AM
Maturity is accepting yourself, from your strengths to your flaws.

Panglossian
05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Legal maturity is 18.
Physical maturity is about 21.
Intellectual maturity is a work in progress.
Spiritual maturity IS.

Ho-ho. Genius.

Buh4Bee
06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Amen!

Paulclem
06-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Maturity is realising you're a bit player in the musical of your life.

I like shouting facaetious comments from the wings,... but then that's not very mature of me...