PDA

View Full Version : second chance

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
When I was younger, it really disappointed me that Jo and Laurie did not marry. But now that I am older and married, I can see why she did not pair them. They both have extremely volatile and combative natures, which would have made for a very difficult marriage. Jo did not love Teddy, but only thought of him as a dear friend. She said herself, "I can't make myself feel what I don't." Teddy was not truly in love with Jo--not real love. He was extremely infatuated with her, and mainly with the idea of her. Teddy courted and flirted during college, and if you're really in love with someone, you don't entertain those feelings and you certainly don't act upon them as he did. The Professor was a stabling force for Jo, and fed her incessant desire for knowledge. Teddy was more concerned with the latest fashion and larks, but Jo was more serious. Her love for German knowledge, boys and books are all met in the Professor, which makes him the better choice for a mate for Jo. Give this book another chance, and after the initial surprise wears off, you'll see what a genius Louisa May Alcott was.