PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones on HBO

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-18-2011, 10:39 PM
So, did anyone else watch the first episode of the HBO adaptation of George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones? I, being a huge fan of the books, definitely did and it was excellent. Most viewers who haven't read the book seem to agree. Looks like it's going to be an awesome series.

OrphanPip
04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
I thought it was OK, it ended exactly where I thought it would end.

The only thing that kind of bothered me was that the Stark children were aged a bit, which doesn't matter too much for the younger kids but Robb being 15-16 is a major plot point. I suppose it's all because of the sex in the series.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah, that's exactly why they did it. Though, I don't really see why they had to do it with all characters. Danearys seems the only one that really needed to be aged. Glad she was, too. What a body. Maybe they'll throw some male nudity in there, too, for the ladies and for you, Pip. Not saying you're a lady, of course. Seems only fair. Anyways, I don't think it's a huge deal, though. Robb's still pretty young for what he will have to do.

OrphanPip
04-18-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah, that's exactly why they did it. Though, I don't really see why they had to do it with all characters. Danearys seems the only one that really needed to be aged. Glad she was, too. What a body. Maybe they'll throw some male nudity in there, too, for the ladies and for you, Pip. Not saying you're a lady, of course. Seems only fair. Anyways, I don't think it's a huge deal, though. Robb's still pretty young for what he will have to do.

I agree that Danaerys being aged was a logical choice, but Robb being aged is kind of ridiculous. He has like one sex scene in the books way late in the series and sex scenes of actors depicting 16 year olds aren't that uncommon and can be done with some sly camera work with actual young actors (Showtime's Shameless does this). I just think that part of Robb's character is a sort of youthful idealism and an immature petulance.

Anyway, it's only a minor complaint. Otherwise, the first episode was pretty good, and a largely faithful adaptation.

Boobs everywhere.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Boobs everywhere.
Yeeeahhhhh, boyeeeeee!!!!

Still, that's faithful to the book, also. We'll see if it continues to be so faithful, because if so, we should see a few swingin' dongs.

Calidore
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
I just question the wisdom of adapting a book series that's barely more than halfway done (at best) and that's currently going five years between volumes because the author is busy editing anthologies, developing games, and licensing everything he can.

OrphanPip
04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
Martin only has 2 more books left to write, plus they have 5 books to draw plots from until then. Shouldn't really be a problem if Martin manages to produce the next books at his usual rate rather than his recent rate.

MystyrMystyry
04-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Martin himself is Ker-razy - better to do it while he still has a couple of marbles left (if you want his input) than wait til they're rolling all over the floor

I tend to think how much better Hitchhiker's movie would have been if Adams had been around to oversee it (but again - it's to the credit of that series that it forces you to use your visual imagination to mentally create something unique to you - maybe everyone was a little disappointed)

In the case of Thrones I think visually it succeeds in recreating the mood rather than even approximating how I imagined it

As for the age increase - I'll say the aging of the young characters was a stylistically wise move - not least because it allows for better acting, but also allows them cinematically to have a more believable place within the story

Good that they've made it as a series rather than as an epic trilogy of films too - I never feel in the mood to watch the LOTR box-set I was once so enthusiastic about - but this way individual episodes can be viewed over lunch or dinner

In fact I'm just going to go watch it again...

Drkshadow03
04-19-2011, 12:29 AM
So, did anyone else watch the first episode of the HBO adaptation of George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones? I, being a huge fan of the books, definitely did and it was excellent. Most viewers who haven't read the book seem to agree. Looks like it's going to be an awesome series.

It was pretty good, which means I liked it, but had a few reservations. I thought the beginning with the Others was well done. I almost liked the television version with the bodies strewn out in the snow in that creepy artificial pattern and the predator-like blue-eyed super-speed monster running about more than the books opening prologue.

I wasn't impressed with most of the casting of the adult parts, with the exception of Tyrion who did a good job. Don't like Sean Bean (Borimir from LOTR) as Eddard Stark. Didn't love the casting of Jaime and Cersei (more Jaime, though, since Lena Headey has played a Queen before in 300). I think Headey did a fine job acting the part, and she isn't bad looking by any means, but I almost expected someone even better looking for Cersei. Ditto Jaime (except besides his looks, I wasn't thrilled with his acting either). I thought a lot of the adult actor's performances were rather flat.

The young actors, on the other hand, did a great job. Arya was fantastic and basically stole the show for me, despite having only small parts in the first episode. Sansa was well-cast. Bran was pretty good. And Daenerys was great as well.

Not sure if I'm sold on Jon Snow and Robb either.

Did they cut Rickon Stark, by the way?

OrphanPip
04-19-2011, 12:35 AM

Caetlyn was pretty good.

They did say 5 wolves for five kids, which would be a bizarre slip if they cut Rickon, which just makes it weird that he seems to have gone completely unmentioned for an entire episode, lol. He might have been in there somewhere and we just missed him. (I looked it up after typing this and he's been cast for the series, but they used an extra in the first episode, probably was casted late)

I agree with much of your assessment of the actors, but I'm not sure we saw enough of Jaimee to form much of an opinion. I thought the guy playing Robert was decent enough as well.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
I just question the wisdom of adapting a book series that's barely more than halfway done (at best) and that's currently going five years between volumes because the author is busy editing anthologies, developing games, and licensing everything he can.
Actually, if the series does make it as far as book 6, I think that will be a good thing as far as the series finishing. It will actually motivate him to get the damn things written.

It was pretty good. I thought the beginning with the Others was well done. I almost liked the television version with the bodies strewn out in the snow in that creepy artificial pattern and the predator-like blue-eyed super-speed monster running about more than the books opening prologue.
It was good, but I thought the book did a much better job of giving that feeling of foreboding and portraying the woods beyond the wall as dark. Am I remembering incorrectly, but didn't this scene take place at night in the books?

I wasn't impressed with most of the casting of the adult parts, with the exception of Tyrion who did a good job. Don't like Sean Bean (Borimir from LOTR) as Eddard Stark. Didn't love the casting of Jaime and Cersei (more Jaime, though, since Lena Headey has played a Queen before in 300). I think Headey did a fine job acting the part, and she isn't bad looking by any means, but I almost expected someone even better looking for Cersei. Ditto Jaime (except besides his looks, I wasn't thrilled with his acting either).
I think you definitely speak the majority's feeling on Dinklage as Tyrion. He may not be ugly enough, but he is perfect for the role. I think he's going to steel the show as a fan favorite, just as he has for so many in the books.

Though, I have to totally disagree with you about Bean. I really can't think of anyone who would've fit the role of Ned better, and I think most agree. I'm curious, why did you feel this way about Bean as Ned?

I think everyone envisioned Cersei as prettier from the descriptions in the book, but I think she is cast well. I found her acting to be good. I think the man who plays Jaime is well enough. Haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion on his acting--so far seems nothing special, but not horrible, either.

The young actors, on the other hand, did a great job. Arya was fantastic and basically stole the show for me, despite having only small parts in the first episode. Sansa was well-cast. Bran was pretty good. And Daenerys was great as well.
Agreed, especially on Arya. Looks wise, she is probably the best cast. Pretty much exactly how I pictured her. Look forward to seeing more of her.

Not sure if I'm sold on Jon Snow and Robb either.
Me neither. Jon Snow looks nothing like I envisioned him . . . he should have had a long face and looked a bit different than Robb. Haven't seen enough of Robb in the show yet to form an opinion.

He's there. He's about six now. He's the one who laughs at Arya and she runs after him, I think. I'll look for him when I watch it again.

I think the biggest miscasting is with Drogo, just purely based on how Drogo is supposed to look. I always saw him as bulkier, older, darker of skin (I always envisioned Dothraki as a sort of Native American/Asian mix), and taller. And no eye make-up. I think the actor will do good, though.

Also, agree with Pip on Baratheon's casting. Perfect.

OrphanPip
04-19-2011, 12:53 AM
Haha, I think it's only in our super-model saturated world of television that anyone would say Lena Headey is not an exceptionally beautiful woman. What were we expecting, a maxim model? This is a lady who is beautiful, but also has a teenage son after all. I think people maybe pictured her as younger.

I think she's well cast because she's believably beautiful, but also doesn't look like a total wisp or weakling that could be pushed around, which fits the character.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-19-2011, 01:03 AM
I agree, Pip, but, if I remember correctly, the book does describe her as beautiful ... like one of the most beautiful women in all of Westeros. I even remember thinking, "That's pretty impressive for a mother of three." If anything, I think the TV series gives a more realistic version of what Cersei would look like. In any case, I'd definitely hit it. I think 99% of hetero males would concur.

Calidore
04-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Martin only has 2 more books left to write, plus they have 5 books to draw plots from until then. Shouldn't really be a problem if Martin manages to produce the next books at his usual rate rather than his recent rate.

Only four are out now -- the fifth has just been announced for July, but we'll see. It was also supposed to be a trilogy, but now it's seven books. (I remember when Wheel of Time was planned for six books, then ten, then definitely twelve).

Martin's also over 60 and built like an opera singer, so this five-or-six-year gap thing is pushing everybody's luck.

He is a great writer, and I don't really blame him for cashing in while he's lucky enough to have a hot property, but his legacy will be his work, not the action figures and calendars.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-19-2011, 01:50 AM
It was also supposed to be a trilogy,
That must've been in the early, early stages of planning the series, because I've never heard that.

Drkshadow03
04-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Haha, I think it's only in our super-model saturated world of television that anyone would say Lena Headey is not an exceptionally beautiful woman. What were we expecting, a maxim model? This is a lady who is beautiful, but also has a teenage son after all. I think people maybe pictured her as younger.

I think she's well cast because she's believably beautiful, but also doesn't look like a total wisp or weakling that could be pushed around, which fits the character.

Yeah. I'm not saying she isn't beautiful. She is. I especially remember liking her in the 300. I also agree that her acting of the part was superb. But I guess I still imagined someone even more beautiful because of the books.

I think this is my problem with Bean playing Ned Stark too. Besides that in my mind, I have him typecasted as Borimir and therefore more of an emotional part, I also think it's hard to transform a stark grim character dedicated to his duty and honor into a dynamic character, whereas a character like that works really well in text.

With the other characters I agree we haven't seen enough. These are mostly just my first impressions.

I think Guy Pearce (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001602/) would've made a good Jaime Lannister.

That must've been in the early, early stages of planning the series, because I've never heard that.

Originally Martin thought his series was going to be a trilogy.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Guy Pearce would've been good. Probably a bit pricey, though, after getting Sean Bean.

Mutatis-Mutandis
04-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Just saw the second episode. Thought it was much better than the first (not that the first was bad).

OrphanPip
05-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Anyone still following, I thought it has been pretty good so far. The action scenes have been well done in the last episode. Lady Starks' sister (whose name escapes me at the moment) was a little over the top, I'm not sure her unhinged hysterical character works as well in the TV as it does in the book. She becomes much more apparent as an archetype of a misogynistic tradition, she's really just a stock character.

I also don't remember Renly's relationship with Loras being that prominent in the books, it was more hinted at than put directly in your face like HBO chose to do it.

Also, MM was right, we did get to see a swinging dong in the last episode, lol.

L€lä RËmØ MÅðçÂ
05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Give me brief description WITHOUT spoilers.

Mutatis-Mutandis
05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Anyone still following, I thought it has been pretty good so far. The action scenes have been well done in the last episode. Lady Starks' sister (whose name escapes me at the moment) was a little over the top, I'm not sure her unhinged hysterical character works as well in the TV as it does in the book. She becomes much more apparent as an archetype of a misogynistic tradition, she's really just a stock character.

I also don't remember Renly's relationship with Loras being that prominent in the books, it was more hinted at than put directly in your face like HBO chose to do it.

Also, MM was right, we did get to see a swinging dong in the last episode, lol.
I'm still throughly enjoying it.

Renly and Loras are definitely the largest departure so far made from the books. It was always intimated that they were gay and possibly lovers (Martin said this was more than intentional) what with their flamboyance and femininity (I mean, "Rainbow Guard"? Not very subtle, lol), but it was never stated or shown. The whole blowjob scene seemed a rather lame shock attempt when the same message could have easily been sent with a kiss (that sure was one noisy BJ, but maybe he was just good at it :lol:).

I'm more displeased with the character changes, though. They've made Loras enter a schemer and what seems to be bad guy when he never was anything but gallant and heroic, and they've made Renly into a weak-minded, easily persuaded fool. I'm not going to be a fanboy and get all whiny, but I'm not sure why they made these changes, and hope it's not a sign of further liberties being taken for A Clash of Kings (or Game of Thrones, season 2) which has been confirmed.

OrphanPip
05-16-2011, 10:32 PM
The whole blowjob scene seemed a rather lame shock attempt when the same message could have easily been sent with a kiss (that sure was one noisy BJ, but maybe he was just good at it :lol:).

Haha, I don't know if it was an attempt at shocking, since this kind of stuff has been done on HBO before, I know they did it with Oz, but usually it's Showtime that's into all the onscreen sex. I don't know what they were thinking with those sound effects, a lot of hand action.

I'm more displeased with the character changes, though. They've made Loras enter a schemer and what seems to be bad guy when he never was anything but gallant and heroic, and they've made Renly into a weak-minded, easily persuaded fool. I'm not going to be a fanboy and get all whiny, but I'm not sure why they made these changes, and hope it's not a sign of further liberties being taken for A Clash of Kings (or Game of Thrones, season 2) which has been confirmed.

I agree it was odd, and it will make Loras' behavior in the future seem out of character, since in the novels he seems more radically loyal to his family and to Renly, than being manipulative. The family loyalty part of his character seems to still be intact. Renly was kinda naive in the novels as well though.

Mutatis-Mutandis
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Another awesome episode down, only two more to go. I think a lot of book readers may be ****ting themselves next week.