PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury Tales

Unregistered
11-23-2002, 02:00 AM
The Friar. he encompasses most (if not all) af the abuses of the mendicants at the time. The church was a very important part of medeival life so, the degeneration of the secular authorities was of vast importance, far more than it would be today. Remember, the first crusade was called for by Pope Urban II, adn had an overwhelming response. Peasants walked to the Middle East to answer the call (this is the first official crusade), only to be slaughtered when they got there due to a lack of formal training, and weapons. This was the late 11th and early 12th century. By the middle of the 14th century, only 200 years later, the abuses of the church were rampant and the people were losing faith.

Soph
09-13-2003, 01:00 AM
i have just started studying the Caterbury Tales, and i believe the Prioress is the most satirised character...Chaucer makes her everything she shouldn't be through his use of irony and clever descriptions.

Caity
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm in the process of writing a paper on the Canterbury Tales, and I was wondering which characters the rest of you think that Chaucer "picked on" or was extremely satirical of. Thank you.

arabian night
06-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi.. i have just had my final exam and i got that question about the characters in the canterbury tales and how do they reflect their environment??...i was confused ...i wrote about the knight and the wife of bath ( i find her funny), monk and nun...

scruffy_danny
07-12-2005, 03:42 PM
I had an exam on The Miller's Tale, the question being on Alison. I love the crude, ironic way in which Chaucer describes the characters in the poem, and the way he makes a mockey of Courtly Love is halarious. (I don't know how he got away with it at that time...)

xseanx
09-19-2005, 08:12 PM
What do you guys think of the merchant and do you think you could link him to modern day capitalism?

mono
09-20-2005, 02:09 AM
What do you guys think of the merchant and do you think you could link him to modern day capitalism?
Seeming a part of the more wealthy society, while leaving the poor "behind," so to speak, I can see that analogy, but have never thought it myself.
Without getting too involved in politics and economics, I realize that much of capitalism relies on competition in business, and, in a way, the accumulation and reinvestment of taking risks in finances.

xseanx
09-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Seeming a part of the more wealthy society, while leaving the poor "behind," so to speak, I can see that analogy, but have never thought it myself.
Without getting too involved in politics and economics, I realize that much of capitalism relies on competition in business, and, in a way, the accumulation and reinvestment of taking risks in finances.
Thanks. I have to do presentation on that character and I was wondering if that idea was bizzare.