PDA

View Full Version : wrong translation

Julian
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I dont even want to get into an argument with anybody about how good or bad the book is, although i really enjoyed it, and do beleive that it is generally only stupid people that dont like it. my only complaint is this; no one should really have the right to make a review until they have read the book, which no one on this website seems to have done!!! For one thing, his name is spelt dostoyevsky, not the way it is spelt on this site. But the main thing is that the book on this website is not crime and punishment, it is simply a translation based on the book. the reason i say that no one has read the book is because of this, that i find it very surprising that no one else has noticed this. If anybody would like to read the real book there is a direct translation into english written by david mcduff, published by penguin classics. i highly reccomend this to anybody that is planning on reading it, because it is much better, and quite different from the version presented here.

Synnove
06-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Well, his name is Russian. Russian is entirely phonetic, aside from a few exceptions, and so when transliterated you can also spell it 'Dostoevsky,' because the 'y' sound is a given if you're aquainted with Russian.

Now, I read the book two years ago and absolutely loved it, because it was pure genius. I read the Constance Garnett translation (which I'm -not- very fond of.) However, as I'd like to reread it in another translation, I've yet to find a good one. The copy I read was one that belonged to my brother, Nikolai, which he read over probably about five times, not counting all the chapter-rereads individually (evident by the state of the spine.) And my library has no better translation. Also, I lack the ability to buy things from the internet at current time, so I'll probably have to wait for that.

I actually had an argument not too long ago about the concept presented in Crime and Punishment (that is, 'Ordinary' and 'Extraordinary' men.) Someone told me it was arrogant of Raskolnikov to at all place himself in the Extraordinary sector. However, I don't believe this is so. I think that, as an educated man, he had plenty to offer to society, and that the woman he murdered was, indeed, a leech. Had he not confessed, he could have used the money for college to further his education, get a degree, and become something wonderful. That is, indeed, the case presented: the Extraordinary may go to whatever lengths necessary to achieve their goal, for they revolutionize society, while the Ordinary cling to the past and must abide by law for they have little to contribute. For if Isaac Newton had to kill a thousand men to make his discoveries, he should have done it.

hairpin
11-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Thank you for bringing this point up. I had a copy from the 40's or 50's when I was younger and it was very difficult for me to read. This translation is immensely easier, but I am wondering if it's actually the best way to read this book. The older version I had contained abbreviations for everyone's last name and conversation about rubles. This made understanding the storyline difficult especially since I don't know the quality of the ruble at the time of writing.

In any case Ch. 1 was very different. Anyone with recommendations on the best way to read this book? Please don't say in Russian... :)

mea505
11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I am not one to try to make people conform to a certain standard, but I would like to just make a small point. When the "Chapter 1" thread is first written, the replies to the chapter should be made in that same thread. I am saying this only to make this simpler to read, that's all. When one other person and I were recently reading (and critiquing) "Demons," we followed this fashion, as it gave others an opportunity to chime in on each individual chapter, and proceed as such. You'all can do it any way you want, for sure. I would just like to make the suggestion.

About the translation problem(s), I don't really think that it causes that much of one, as there are so many out there -- it just takes a little more time to understand the convoluted sentence structure(s). About the name, well, it's Russian, and the second person to chime in (above) has it right.

mea505
11-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Oh, and by the way: I've read the book -- twice. I think a review of the book is appropriate.

Dr. Hill
12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
His name is spelt Dostoevsky. Dostoyevsky is the Americanized version of his name. You know that, right?

mea505
12-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Is your post directed to the person that initiated this discussion about the "wrong translation?"

Dr. Hill
12-09-2008, 10:35 PM
No, the first reply. I'm fairly certain, at least, that Dostoyevsky is the Americanized version of the name.

I think it's actually something like Dostoevskii in Russian.

bazarov
12-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Copied from another thread:

Bazarov said:

F - normal
yo - like in yoyo
dor - like DORi

Dosto - normal, like it's written
ev - it's yev(like yes), I don't know why on west they lose that y in pronounciation
ski - it should be pronounced like skiy, more like long iiiiiiii at the end

mea505
12-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Concerning the spelling, and Pronunciation of the name, where is the emphasis placed? Is it placed in the first part of the name, the middle, or the end?

By the way, I happen to agree with the last thread. It is the correct means by which one spells the name in English. The person who initiated this thread, I am afraid, is not correct.

bazarov
12-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Concerning the spelling, and Pronunciation of the name, where is the emphasis placed? Is it placed in the first part of the name, the middle, or the end?

On the middle I would say; although I sound weird to my self when trying to catch it.

By the way, I happen to agree with the last thread. It is the correct means by which one spells the name in English. The person who initiated this thread, I am afraid, is not correct.
...post...

mea505
12-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, when one tries to pronounce the name with an emphasis on the second syllable, it is a tongue-twister, indeed. :lol: