PDA

View Full Version : Crime and Punishment

TheBookshopEr
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Personally, think Crime and Punishment is the book that describes perfectly the state of mind of a person who have murder some other, but that person can't really accept he has killed somebody else. <br>I am impressed by how Fyodor Dostoevsky describes Raskolnikov's feelings, it's realistic. I would like to add, I LOVE READING THIS BOOK!

Synnove
06-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't think that was what he was aiming for. In actually killing someone, Raskolnikov seemed relatively calm-minded. What made him figity was the paranoia of people suspecting him of doing it. Raskolnikov's problem probably had to do more with health. He was not healthy. You can see his mental and physical condition deteriorate through the story. And a lot of it seemed to be psychosomatic. That is, the state of his mind influenced the state of his body.

Now, since I'm not fond of the translation I've read, and this was kind of .. not well pieced together.. from what I understand, Raskolnikov was torn between what he did, and faith. And eventually Sonya pushed him to the "lighter side," if you will. Dostoyevsky was very religious, and I see a message in here not commonly caught. He is emphasizing the importance of faith in something, in my eyes.

Tabac
06-24-2005, 10:22 AM
I found it to be one of the most captivating novels I had ever read. I felt manipulated by the author - sometimes hoping he would get caught, sometimes hoping he wouldn't - just the same as the main character. I didn't mind being manipulated, however; I think it was very talented writing that made that possible.

mono
06-24-2005, 02:21 PM
I found it to be one of the most captivating novels I had ever read. I felt manipulated by the author - sometimes hoping he would get caught, sometimes hoping he wouldn't - just the same as the main character. I didn't mind being manipulated, however; I think it was very talented writing that made that possible.
Indeed! I think I mentioned in another thread regarding Crime and Punishment, which I read very quickly by its phenomenal addiction, I found myself sweating while reading of the murder. Fyodor Dostoevsky had a very magical manner of writing that, as you said, Tabac, entirely manipulates the reader in the most awe-inspiring way.
Unfortunately, I have read none of Dostoevsky's other novels, but I hope to get around to them soon with high expectations. :)
By the way, all of you may find the following thread worth discussion:
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12370

Koa
06-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Indeed! I think I mentioned in another thread regarding Crime and Punishment, which I read very quickly by its phenomenal addiction, I found myself sweating while reading of the murder.

Wow, it was exactly the same for me. I can't forget my heartbeat during the murder scene...it was faster than ever before (and after) while reading or watching a movie...! And it caught me so much that I had to go on reading till I got to the end in very few days.