We never wanted a battle
but we wanted to kill
in the end.
For the want of an end
my choice
will just have to do.

Delta40
03-18-2011, 09:15 PM
All for the want of a nail. I like the signposts used in the poem of deteriorating relationships. It seems as if in spite of everything, you choose the end.

Deriath
03-18-2011, 09:52 PM
well, it seems I am still a novice writer, so I am curious to gain an understanding of this poem. I can sense the emotion but I don't seem to catch the meaning. if you could spare some time to explain the meaning behind the words, I would appreciate it.

deryk
03-19-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm impressed by how much compression is going on in this poem. Every couple lines manages a complete illustration of sex and death, the period of a relationship, and the metaphors are so cogent and fluid, there's nothing that needs to be unpacked. It's so keen, it's like I'm waiting for the blood to flow after the cut!

Haunted
03-19-2011, 03:28 AM
"want" is the operative word for anything worth fighting for.

whether a war is winnable, there's always something memorable, grand and sad at the same time:

For the want of a shoe
you walked tall
then short
then tall
in your single stilleto.

Jerrybaldy
03-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks Delta deryk and haunted
Deriath. We are all novices. This is a parody on ' for want of a nail the kingdom was lost (google it) related to the loss of a partner rather than a war. Any more Q's please ask
cheers
Jerry