PDA

View Full Version : Ibsen and Comedy?

Theunderground
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
As a self confessed comedy buff any plays of Henrik that will make me laugh or considered comedic?

Theunderground
03-08-2011, 01:25 PM
No takers? Is ibsen funny in some of his plays? Yes,no,indifferent?

MsSilentia
03-08-2011, 05:09 PM
He is not known for funny plays for sure. There might be some exception but no - he was a great political and philosophical writer but funny - no!
Maybe in the ironic way in Peer Gynt but that is a heavy irony.

Of course I do not know why you ask about it. If you want an easier approach on him, then I would recommend something else than Peer Gynt in spite of the irony. I do not persieve most of them them as very difficult. Of course some of them require more knowledge of his time but The Dollhouse, or The Wild Duck are hardly difficult to understand anyway. But funny - not a wit:nonod:

If you want something that is simple to understand, then he is good and I like what I have seen very much but if you are just looking for something amusing to read, then he is simply the wrong writer.

Janine
03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Ibsen's "Ghosts" is amazing...but it's the furthest play from a comedy that I can think of.

Theunderground
03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Ok,that helps. Why i asked was because i have heard his work is a good critique of societys' norms,but i really prefer writers who offer critiques in a comedic way. (like wilde,Sterne et al.)

Gladys
04-15-2011, 12:46 AM
If you want something that is simple to understand, then he is good and I like what I have seen very much...

Simple to understand? Are you really suggesting that Brand, Ghosts, Rosmersholm, The Lady from the Sea, Hedda Gabler, The Master Builder or When We Dead Awaken are easy to grasp?