PDA

View Full Version : Help me, please

Jay
02-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Please, does anyone of you know the author of this great poem? I read it somewhere on the Net and I'd like to read more works by this author, but I can't remember neither the poem's title nor the name of the author. If it helps, I have this feeling that the author is a female. If you recognized this poem, please let me know. I'll be very grateful. :(

Don't stand beside my grave and weep,
For I'm not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond's glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush,
Or quiet birds in circle flight,
I am soft stars that shine at night.
Don't stand beside my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

Tabac
02-18-2003, 04:24 PM
The poem you cite is attributed to the Hopi (Native American nation); see
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/RedBird/HopiPrayer.html.

Jay
02-21-2003, 03:31 PM
Thank you, Tabac. You're the best. :P

firestarter
03-26-2003, 02:26 PM
i must agree with you jay, that is a pretty awesome poem, and i couldnt help but remember reading it also, of course like you i could not remember the name so luckily i know now.

firestarter

Jay
03-27-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm glad I could be of any help (and of course we both know the author thanks to Tabac, whom I'm very grateful for it :P , thanks again!)
Firestarter, what other poets or poems do you like? If I'm right, you like Milton, don't you?

firestarter
03-28-2003, 01:06 PM
yes jay, that would be correct, i enjoy milton a lot, although i havent really read a lot of his work. what i am reading right now is paradise lost. But i like a lot of edgar allen poe. I really appreciate a lot of the old style horror. lol.
firestarter

Jay
03-30-2003, 09:50 AM
I like Poe's poems as well, but I like Wordsworth, Yeats, Barret-Browning, Frost and Joyce more. Poe's prose is better than his poetry (as far as I'm concerned ;) ) I was reading Paradise Lost some weeks ago, but had to stop, 'cause the English in some parts was kinda difficult for me to comprehend. Maybe I'll try to read it sometime in the future when my skills in English would improve. :D