PDA

View Full Version : Formatting urls in articles

Jozanny
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
If any of you have a current style manual handy, I could use some help on properly formatting urls in a word processor like Word. I can insert the url in question but cannot hyperlink it like it can be done online; is it permissible to footnote them as wiki does it? I can eventually get to a library branch to sort this out, but that will take me time, and I'm trying really hard to work so I can get back in form.

I do not mean blog posts, but traditional articles that may or may not be posted online.

Thanks anyone.

Lokasenna
02-23-2011, 04:13 PM
It partly depends upon which referencing style you use. I use the MLA (boo! hiss!), and this is how I would do it. Firstly, as a footnote I'd have this:

Zoe Borovsky, “Never in Public: Women and Performance in Old Norse Literature,” The Journal of American Folklore 112.443 (1999): 6-12.

And then in the bibliography at the end:

Borovsky, Zoe. “Never in Public: Women and Performance in Old Norse Literature.” The Journal of American Folklore 112.443 (1999): 6-39. JSTOR. 25 Nov. 2009. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/541400>.

Some combination of those two would probably be what you are after. Most systems of referencing require a stable URL address, and a date of access.

billl
02-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Here's a link to what appears to be a 'handout' used in a course at Hanover College (whose alumni include Woody Harrelson, Carol Shields, and the 21st vice-president of the United States). The handout seems to be instructing people about footnoting according to the Chicago Manual of Style. Examples 24-31 might cover whatever it is you are trying to footnote, and the fact that the matter is gone into in such detail seems to indicate it would be OK to do in academic contexts, at least.

http://history.hanover.edu/courses/handouts/footnotes.htm

Jozanny
02-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Kisses to both. I have no current MLA or CMS handy, and though I can buy them, like directories, they go out of date with lightning speed-- in this instance, I am writing a secondary opinion column, not as formal as a paper, but need to acknowledge the correspondents. A hyperlink would suit, but word simply inserts the url and it looks clunky. I can footnote via wiki though. I will download this thread in a bit. Thanks guys.