PDA

View Full Version : Dracula Project

Tomle17
02-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Hi, everybody...
I'm current working on Dracula Project relate to PSYCHOANALYSIS and I have some questions need you guys help.
- what are some evidence that Bram Stoker and other authors(in 19th century) were effected by PSYCHOANALYSIS?
- what are some evidence from the novel Dracula supporting the concept/idea?
Because we just read half the novel so I have some troubles to understand the whole book.
If you guys know any websites or info, please help me out, I would appreciate lots.

Vlad Dracula
04-27-2011, 03:38 PM
It is an interesting project you started, but is not easy to take it to the end! I think that there are less of these evidences, and difficult to find. Maybe you should allow me some advices:

Read carefully the novel and try to understand what was the purpose of BS with it, what he meant? Try to "extract" his personality from the way he wrote this book. Also using other information about him, you can gather enough material for the project.
Learn much about psychoanalysis and put it in connection with the two matters from your post above. Find their commonplaces!

In one word, nothing should be better, than to do yourself this analysis! Could result a great work. Good luck!

DocHeart
05-02-2011, 01:35 PM
It is an interesting project you started, but is not easy to take it to the end! I think that there are less of these evidences, and difficult to find. Maybe you should allow me some advices:

Read carefully the novel and try to understand what was the purpose of BS with it, what he meant? Try to "extract" his personality from the way he wrote this book. Also using other information about him, you can gather enough material for the project.
Learn much about psychoanalysis and put it in connection with the two matters from your post above. Find their commonplaces!

In one word, nothing should be better, than to do yourself this analysis! Could result a great work. Good luck!

You sound just like the man himself... :)

windup13
05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Perhaps it's a bit too late to help... But, I think a psychoanalytical interpretation is easily construed by the dialogue of the text. An introduction to Dracula by George Stade points to a crucial passage illuminating this when Dr. Seward describes the banishment of the Un-Dead Lucy:

The thing in the coffin writhed; and a hideous, blood-curdling screech came from the opened red lips. The body shook and quivered and twisted in wild contortions; the sharp white teeth champed together till the lips were cut, and the mouth was smeared with a crimson foam. But Arthur never faltered. He looked like a figure of Thor as his untrembling arm rose and fell, driving deeper and deeper the mercy bearing stake, whilst the blood from the pierced heart spurted up around it. His face was set, and high duty seemed to shine through it; the sight of it gave us courage so that our voices seemed to ring through the little vault.

And then the writhing and quivering of the body became less, and the teeth seemed to champ, and the face to quiver. Finally it lay still. The terrible task was over.

The darker side of society is evident. A discussion of the sexuality of the characters may work. An analysis of the ego and the id with the characters of Van Helsing vs Dracula may also provide a great focus.

Vlad Dracula
05-22-2011, 03:05 PM
You sound just like the man himself... :)

Thank you! :)