PDA

View Full Version : The Demonic FART

misterreplicant
01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
This topic looks dead to mine eyes...

Anyways, I just wanted to post this for all those who still dwell in the depths of this division.
I was reading The Inferno the other day and noticed something. In Canto XXI when Dante and Vergil encounter those demons, it goes as: "And he had made a trumpet of his rump" (the last words of Canto XXI) I started laughing out loud. THAT DEMON IS FARTING!!! XD And to the looks of it, it looks like he's farting to signal the other demons with him! :P Woah...
Strange.

Until next time, I guess...
~QLintz

Three Sparrows
01-17-2011, 04:04 PM
:reddevil::lol::lol:
I remember when I read that for the first time I was like, half dead from laughing.

misterreplicant
01-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah, that book has surprises every once and a while.

That reminds me... My grandfather claims to have the "Out-takes" for every classical book... lol. He makes up this weird version of the book that uses a LOT a curse words and modern talk. Its SO funny. :DD I hope he writes this stuff down, if he does, I should post it. YOU ALL will get a KICK out of it :D

Wilde woman
01-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes, Dante has a great sense of humor when it comes to characterizing the demons! :biggrin5:

Is this from the Mandelbaum translation? The phrasing sounds really familiar....

Gilliatt Gurgle
01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
More incentive to read "The Inferno"!
I had recently purchased a copy and hope to begin in the next couple of weeks.
misterreplicant's reaction is much like the reaction I recall when first reading the "Miller's Tale".
Looking forward to the adventure.

Mutatis-Mutandis
01-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Makes me want to read it even more.

misterreplicant
01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Yes, Dante has a great sense of humor when it comes to characterizing the demons! :biggrin5:

Is this from the Mandelbaum translation? The phrasing sounds really familiar....

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's translation.

Insane4Twain
05-28-2012, 11:34 PM
misterreplicant's reaction is much like the reaction I recall when first reading the "Miller's Tale".Yes, yes, yes! That very same thought popped into my head!

I just finished The Inferno rendered by Ciardi (is there any other version?) and I was impressed not only by the work, but the footnotes. His view regarding the objections - carried over from Victorian sensibilities - to the "disgusting aspects" is that Calvinists put more stress against the bodily functions whereas the Catholics were more opposed to the blasphemies.

cafolini
05-29-2012, 01:54 PM
This topic looks dead to mine eyes...

Anyways, I just wanted to post this for all those who still dwell in the depths of this division.
I was reading The Inferno the other day and noticed something. In Canto XXI when Dante and Vergil encounter those demons, it goes as: "And he had made a trumpet of his rump" (the last words of Canto XXI) I started laughing out loud. THAT DEMON IS FARTING!!! XD And to the looks of it, it looks like he's farting to signal the other demons with him! :P Woah...
Strange.

Until next time, I guess...
~QLintz

I think it has something to do with John, The Baptist. "... and he made a trumpet of his rump."