PDA

View Full Version : Prog-Rock

Mutatis-Mutandis
01-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Any fellow fans of prog-rock out there? Second to heavy metal, progressive rock is my favorite genre. Well, third, I guess: Progressive Metal is the perfect combination :nod:.

Anyways, I really like Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, ELP, and Zappa, to name a few.

What about you?

Armel P
02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Most of what I listen to is prog rock. King Crimson, Magma, and Van Der Graaf Generator are my favorites.

Mutatis-Mutandis
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Never heard of Magma, and Van Der Graaf Generator is a band I need to check out :nod:.

Armel P
02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Never heard of Magma, and Van Der Graaf Generator is a band I need to check out :nod:.

Most of the time when people refer to prog they mention the same bands: Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Genesis, Zappa, Pink Floyd... all of which I love but there is a ton of stuff out there. Magma started a whole branch of prog called Zeuhl. They're unique and fascinating. I'd start with Udu Wudu. Van der Graaf is equally unique. I'd start with Pawn Hearts.

Ever visited gepr.net? I love it. It's a great wealth of info. I've learned a lot browsing it.

I also subscribe to Progression magazine which is a very nice quarterly.

Have you gotten into anything new lately?

Mutatis-Mutandis
02-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Most of the time when people refer to prog they mention the same bands: Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Genesis, Zappa, Pink Floyd... all of which I love but there is a ton of stuff out there. Magma started a whole branch of prog called Zeuhl. They're unique and fascinating. I'd start with Udu Wudu. Van der Graaf is equally unique. I'd start with Pawn Hearts.

Ever visited gepr.net? I love it. It's a great wealth of info. I've learned a lot browsing it.

I also subscribe to Progression magazine which is a very nice quarterly.

Have you gotten into anything new lately?

Lately I've actually been getting into classical, and I listen to a lot of metal (progressive metal is where it's at, :nod:), so I listen to more than just prog. Most of my prog tastes came from my dad, who I guess stayed pretty mainstream when it come to prog. One of the more unique albums he has is 666 by Aphrodite's Childe, which is awesome. But, for contemporary prog, I like The Flower Kings and Pain of Salvation, and my two favorite bands are Opeth and Between the Buried and Me (both prog-metal).

I've never been to that site, I'll check it out. I visit Progarchives.com a lot, which is pretty cool.

Armel P
02-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Lately I've actually been getting into classical, and I listen to a lot of metal (progressive metal is where it's at, :nod:), so I listen to more than just prog. Most of my prog tastes came from my dad, who I guess stayed pretty mainstream when it come to prog. One of the more unique albums he has is 666 by Aphrodite's Childe, which is awesome. But, for contemporary prog, I like The Flower Kings and Pain of Salvation, and my two favorite bands are Opeth and Between the Buried and Me (both prog-metal).

I've never been to that site, I'll check it out. I visit Progarchives.com a lot, which is pretty cool.

I love The Flower Kings. I saw BTBAM live a few months ago when Cynic and Devin Townsend opened for them. I was there for Cynic and Devin but I respect BTBAM. They're talented. I'll look for Aphrodite's Child. I can't remember having heard it.

My favorite prog metal bands are Symphony X and Dream Theater but some prog metal I've been listening to lately are Riverside, Animals as Leaders, Angra, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (if they can be considered prog metal). Also, a friend of mine just introduced me to a band called Blotted Science which is interesting.

Most recently, the music that makes its appearance most in my CD player is actually Tom Waits. I just can't stop listening to Tom Waits.

Mutatis-Mutandis
02-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I love Dream Theater, Animals as Leaders, and Riverside. I like Symphony X and Townsend. I'll have to check out Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (great name, lol) and Blotted Science. Never have gotten into Tom Waits, though.

Mutatis-Mutandis
02-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Also, you should participate in the Rate That Song Thread (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50469&page=104) which is overrun with haters of solos and complexity in music--all that good prog stuff :nod:.

Armel P
02-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I'll check out that thread.

Have you ever listened to Delicious Agony? It's prog rock internet radio. It's a great thing.

Mutatis-Mutandis
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I'll check it out. I usually listen to Pandora, where I've found tons of new bands, including The Flower Kings.

Armel P
02-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I'll check it out. I usually listen to Pandora, where I've found tons of new bands, including The Flower Kings.

I used to listen to Pandora a lot at one point. I think Delicious Agony will be better for prog because you get a lot more in the way of obscure bands and older bands and sometimes fringe bands. I've been introduced to a lot of stuff there that led me to buy records. Just this morning I heard music from a band called Birds of Avalon that I really liked.