PDA

View Full Version : Humor in the novel

Knaan
01-10-2011, 12:49 AM
There is not a lot of it but I found one particular section to be very funny. The dinner seen early in the book, "The Sensualists" part of it. The buffoonery of Fyodor was just hilarious. His contradictions throughout the discussion were great. The way Grigory mocks Smerdyakov for his picky eating "what is it a cockroach?". Too funny.

What did you think of this pretty funny scene?

mouseofcards89
01-23-2011, 05:27 PM
It was indeed very funny, though I was especially amused by the entire 'gold mines' chapter. "Oh...the 3,000 roubles?" Mitya did indeed have an illustrious career ahead of him excavating gold from a dark and cloudy orifice somewhere, if he hadn't been done in by his half brother first. That was classic Dostoevsky at work...I've quoted that chapter at my broke friends more than once, and they have no idea what I'm talking about. "Gold mines, gold mines! Get thee to the gold mines!"

mona amon
01-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Right in the beginning of the novel - " Fyodor Pavlovitch was drunk when he heard of his wife's death, and the story is that he ran out into the street and began shouting with joy, raising his hands to Heaven: "Lord, now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace,..." I found this very funny and it was a good start for me!