PDA

View Full Version : The Charge Of The Light Brigade by Alfred Lord Tennyson

N037
01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi I do not expect anyone to help me with my homework (: but I need some help from people, who've read The Things They Carried by Tim'O Brien, to point out some interesting similarities and differences between these two works. I'll be doing a presentation soon on these two works but I'm having some trouble creating a systematic smooth structure for it. Thank you everyone (:

Hopefully someone helps me :|

Alexander III
01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
The biggest similarity is that the major theme of both works is idleness

N037
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
How is idleness a theme in both of these works. I would think immortalizing the dead and memorializing events is a major theme. I just don't quite see how The Things They Carried is memorializing the Vietnamese War when it's main concentration were about the characters.

arrytus
01-04-2011, 03:17 PM
The biggest similarity is that the major theme of both works is idleness

I do not understand this in the least...

To me the obvious similarity is the futile endeavor and devastation of war in which men are asked to obey commands which in retrospect were unclear or made by men with ulterior and alternative motives than those they enlisted to accomplish that task.

Although whenever a teacher invites such a comparison it is usually from his own tendentious perspective and there is really no wrong answer.

OrphanPip
01-04-2011, 04:06 PM
I do not understand this in the least...

To me the obvious similarity is the futile endeavor and devastation of war in which men are asked to obey commands which in retrospect were unclear or made by men with ulterior and alternative motives than those they enlisted to accomplish that task.

Although whenever a teacher invites such a comparison it is usually from his own tendentious perspective and there is really no wrong answer.

I think Alex might have been making a dig at the OP :p

N037
01-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Thx for the help arrytus and OrphanPip.........

arrytus
01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I think Alex might have been making a dig at the OP :p

I've noticed there are a disproportionate number of Bowie fans on this site and I love it!

N037
01-05-2011, 02:18 AM
Hi I also want to ask. Does anyone agree that Alfred Lord Tennyson was trying to memorialize the Crimean War - Battle of the Balaclava.