PDA

View Full Version : The New Gulliver's Travels Movie

Mutatis-Mutandis
01-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't see it.

I saw it Friday because my dad (for some inexplicable reason) wanted to. It was horrendous. Horrible acting, bad writing, and an all around lazily made film. And I'm a Jack Black fan. It was obvious he and the whole cast were just phoning it in. The movie is intended for kids, mostly, and there was a five-year-old girl sitting near us who was completely bored with it. If an 87 minute film can't even entertain a child, you know it's ****.

I've never read the novel, so if you have and are a fan of it, I'm sure this will only compound your hatred of the movie.

Just a friendly warning. I don't want anyone to make the mistake I (or, more correctly, my father) made.

TheChilly
01-02-2011, 11:30 PM
It doesn't even look interesting or entertaining to begin with.

Neither did "Little Fockers".

Mutatis-Mutandis
01-03-2011, 12:36 AM
No, it didn't. And I will not see Little Fockers. I really liked Meet the Parents, but puns on "****" can only go so far. It peaked in the first movie, and was even worn out by the end of that one.

True Grit was excellent, though.

Maryd.
01-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Ok, gentlemen. Assuming you are both fellows. I am not a child... In fact, more the opposite. Let's just say for argument sake, I am over 40. I happened to like the film. I found it funny, weird and interesting. I also need mention that I have seen the old version of the movie (hences my age - not read the book though) and knew that it was supposed to be slightly sarcastic and a mockery of the the original... So I more-or-less knew what to expect. Having said that... I absolutely adore Jack Black and his oddball acting. He is amazingly funny and not scared to advertise his weight issue. Which in my opinion is quite a relief, not to see stick figures, for a change.

billl
01-03-2011, 04:38 AM
That's a great point, Mary. I've seen reviews elsewhere that absolutely panned the movie, and they mentioned how the film missed the point of the book. Seeing the movie as a satire of the previous movie (or, indeed, as a 'modern' send-up of the original text, maybe) might earn it more respect, I'm thinking. Is there a chance that the film-makers assumed a familiarity with the source material? (Or at least assumed that younger viewers might later on become familiar with the source material or something...?)

I haven't seen the film, but you make a point I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

Maryd.
01-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Well Bill. 3 members of my family have seen it two of them which are 12 and 14, they all loved it. I guess. Each to their own. :)

MarkBastable
01-03-2011, 07:44 AM
I agree. Really lazily written and poorly acted. The guy playing the Lilliputian villain gave the only performance that looked in the least interested.

My wife (a real Jack Black fan) was underwhelmed. I was bored and our kids, 6 and 8, thought it was 'all right'. Though what they liked most was the popcorn.

I don't think the problem is that the movie misses the point of the book (because it has absolutely nothing to do with the book). I think the problem is that the movie has no point of its own.

Mutatis-Mutandis
01-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Ok, gentlemen. Assuming you are both fellows. I am not a child... In fact, more the opposite. Let's just say for argument sake, I am over 40. I happened to like the film. I found it funny, weird and interesting. I also need mention that I have seen the old version of the movie (hences my age - not read the book though) and knew that it was supposed to be slightly sarcastic and a mockery of the the original... So I more-or-less knew what to expect. Having said that... I absolutely adore Jack Black and his oddball acting. He is amazingly funny and not scared to advertise his weight issue. Which in my opinion is quite a relief, not to see stick figures, for a change.

I'm glad you really liked it. I wish I did. But, the positive opinions for the movie are in the minority. It has a 22% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 4.5 on IMDb, which is atrocious, even for a Jack Black movie which get rated low.

Maryd.
01-04-2011, 06:44 AM
I'm glad you really liked it. I wish I did. But, the positive opinions for the movie are in the minority. It has a 22% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 4.5 on IMDb, which is atrocious, even for a Jack Black movie which get rated low.

Well I've never been afraid of statics :D... Plus don't get out much, so maybe I enjoyed the "date" with my children and maybe that is the reason I enjoyed the movie so... Or maybe I'm just weird like that.:yikes: Who knows how a weird mind works. :smilielol5:

MarkBastable
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Well I've never been afraid of statics

You're unmoved, are you?

Patrick_Bateman
01-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Jack Black is in it...This wasn't a warning for you people?

He was good in High Fidelity and that's it.

Mutatis-Mutandis
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Jack Black is in it...This wasn't a warning for you people?.

And I'm a Jack Black fan.

:sosp:

Maryd.
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
You're unmoved, are you?

Are you going to move me Mr Bastable?

Just because other people didn't like the film... It doesn't mean I don't have to. Not only do I not fear statistics, but being one of the sheep has never been in my nature. :hand:

MarkBastable
01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Are you going to move me Mr Bastable?

Just because other people didn't like the film... It doesn't mean I don't have to. Not only do I not fear statistics, but being one of the sheep has never been in my nature. :hand:

It was a pun on your typo of statics. It wasn't an argument.

Maryd.
01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
It was a pun on your typo of statics. It wasn't an argument.

Phew! I wouldn't want to step out of my nerdy character and argue now. Mind you... Imagine dear, little, sweet, non-sheep like me, arguing.
"Well I never!" :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5: