PDA

View Full Version : Annual Short Story Competition 2011

Scheherazade
01-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Dear All,

The Literature Network will hold an annual short story competition, which will be open to all its members. The rules of the competition are:

1. The stories should be submitted as email attachments in MS Word format and should be minimum 500 and maximum 2000 words and include your Forum names as well. Please send your stories to [email protected]. Please do not post your stories on the Forum!

2. There will be 5 selections (in February, April, June, August and October) throughout the year and only the stories which have been submitted before the first of these months will be included in that month's elimination. The five stories which win the each selection will take part in the final voting in November and December.

3. Members can submit only one entry for each selection round. If their story is a winner, they will not be allowed to take part in other selections.

4. The Admin or Moderators are not responsible for editing or correcting of the stories and therefore the writers themselves are required to make sure that there are no grammatical or spelling errors. The submitted copy is final and further corrections by the writers will be disregarded.

5. Please still submit your stories in MS Word.docs. or Rich Text.rtf or Notepad.txt files, but PLAIN TEXT only.

If you want to FORMAT your stories, use the vBulletin forum codes, which can be found here:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

6. Only those members with at least 100 posts by each voting period can submit stories for the competition and vote in the polls.

7. Those who enter the competition agree to keep the information on their identities and stories confidential till the end of that year (only the Admin and Moderators will have access to that information). Those who breach this rule will be disqualified automatically.

8. All entries should be your own original work and not have appeared anywhere else before. Authors retain the copyright rights for the stories submitted to the competition.

9. All submissions must be your sole creative work and written for this particular competition. Anyone found plagiarising will be disqualified from this and all future contests.

10. If one of the 5 entrants selected for the final vote are no longer a member of the site at the time of the final vote, they forfeit their entry and the second place entry for their leg of entries gets bumped to first place.

11. You can withdraw a story during the submission period; however, once the voting starts, no story can be withdrawn.

Good luck! :)

Those members who would like to take part in the first elimination in February can send their entries now (by January 31st).

arrytus
01-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I have some questions:

Can one submit the same story for each submission period, on the assumption it isn't chosen the first time [and perhaps with adamant disregard betwixt its perceived and actual quality]?

How many submissions does the contest regularly receive over the year?

With submissions does/should one include their real name?

Is there still a cash prize?

Scheherazade
01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Can one submit the same story for each submission period, on the assumption it isn't chosen the first time [and perhaps with adamant disregard betwixt its perceived and actual quality]?No, the stories need to be original for each round.

How many submissions does the contest regularly receive over the year?Around 25.
With submissions does/should one include their real name?No, only the Forum username will be sufficient.
Is there still a cash prize?Yes, the award is given every year until the Admin says otherwise.

arrytus
01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
thanks for the info.

Scheherazade
01-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Last week to post your stories for the February round.

Scheherazade
01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Last two days to submit your stories.

Scheherazade
03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
You can now submit your stories for the April round.

parmindersingh
03-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I just joined, can I post a story for the competition?

Scheherazade
03-20-2011, 05:15 PM
I just joined, can I post a story for the competition?Welcome to the Forum.

Please read the competition rules, which appear in the very first post of this thread.

Scheherazade
05-01-2011, 05:10 PM
You can submit your stories for the June elimination by May 31st.

Please read the competition rules before doing so.

Ubercritter
05-19-2011, 11:48 PM
how do i get to read the short stories?

Scheherazade
05-20-2011, 07:36 AM
how do i get to read the short stories?You can read the previews years' winners in the archive section:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3160

The new stories for the next elimination round will be posted in June.

Ubercritter
05-20-2011, 09:18 AM
thank you for your reply. I was little confused because in the earlier archives (2006 and 2007) you can read all the short stories that were submitted, as attachments in the topic post. for the rest of the years 2008 - 2010 i could not find any, other than the winner's. i was actually looking to read them ALL.

Scheherazade
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
thank you for your reply. I was little confused because in the earlier archives (2006 and 2007) you can read all the short stories that were submitted, as attachments in the topic post. for the rest of the years 2008 - 2010 i could not find any, other than the winner's. i was actually looking to read them ALL.The stories are removed because they are still their writers' properties.

Some of them are posted in the Short Story Section, though.

Trever J Bennett
05-22-2011, 02:28 PM
2000 words max? Short stories usually word out to be 2000-3000 words, don't they?

Scheherazade
05-22-2011, 05:25 PM
2000 words max? Short stories usually word out to be 2000-3000 words, don't they?I am sure there are stories of various lengths; however, considering that this is an online competition, it has been agreed that 2K words will be sufficient and provide a challenge for the writers who feel up to it.

Welcome to the Forum, Trever. :)

Scheherazade
05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Last seven days to send your stories for the June elimination.

zoolane
05-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I just wondered how time someone submit same piece due re-edit it.

Scheherazade
05-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I just wondered how time someone submit same piece due re-edit it.You can resubmit the stories until the last day of the month but, ideally, please submit only once - when you are sure that the story is ready for the submission.

Scheherazade
05-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Last day to submit your stories! :)

m2vihand
06-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Sooo, if I hear right, then I must make 100 posts by October to be able to participate. Is that right? And how can I know that my text length is right?

Scheherazade
06-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Sooo, if I hear right, then I must make 100 posts by October to be able to participate. Is that right? And how can I know that my text length is right?Welcome to the Forum, m2vihand.

Yes, if you have 100 posts by October you can submit a story. And you can use the word counter in Word to make sure that the word count is not more than 2000.

m2vihand
06-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh thanks. :) I can't send a writing to be in June's selection. :(

Scheherazade
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh thanks. :) I can't send a writing to be in June's selection. :(You can send one for August provided that your post count is 100+ by then.

m2vihand
06-28-2011, 05:40 AM
I have a question. Do i have to collect 100 posts between voting periods? I mean after the voting in August, do i have to post 100 times to be able to participate in the competition's round in October, even if i did not participate in August?

Scheherazade
06-28-2011, 07:56 AM
I have a question. Do i have to collect 100 posts between voting periods? I mean after the voting in August, do i have to post 100 times to be able to participate in the competition's round in October, even if i did not participate in August?To be able to submit a story for the August elimination, you need to have the required 100 by the time you submit your story... Which gives you till July 31st.

Hope this helps.

Scheherazade
09-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Dear All,

The Literature Network will hold an annual short story competition, which will be open to all its members. The rules of the competition are:

1. The stories should be submitted as email attachments in MS Word format and should be minimum 500 and maximum 2000 words and include your Forum names as well. Please send your stories to [email protected]. Please do not post your stories on the Forum!

2. There will be 5 selections (in February, April, June, August and October) throughout the year and only the stories which have been submitted before the first of these months will be included in that month's elimination. The five stories which win the each selection will take part in the final voting in November and December.

3. Members can submit only one entry for each selection round. If their story is a winner, they will not be allowed to take part in other selections.

4. The Admin or Moderators are not responsible for editing or correcting of the stories and therefore the writers themselves are required to make sure that there are no grammatical or spelling errors. The submitted copy is final and further corrections by the writers will be disregarded.

5. Please still submit your stories in MS Word.docs. or Rich Text.rtf or Notepad.txt files, but PLAIN TEXT only.

If you want to FORMAT your stories, use the vBulletin forum codes, which can be found here:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

6. Only those members with at least 100 posts by each voting period can submit stories for the competition and vote in the polls.

7. Those who enter the competition agree to keep the information on their identities and stories confidential till the end of that year (only the Admin and Moderators will have access to that information). Those who breach this rule will be disqualified automatically.

8. All entries should be your own original work and not have appeared anywhere else before. Authors retain the copyright rights for the stories submitted to the competition.

9. All submissions must be your sole creative work and written for this particular competition. Anyone found plagiarising will be disqualified from this and all future contests.

10. If one of the 5 entrants selected for the final vote are no longer a member of the site at the time of the final vote, they forfeit their entry and the second place entry for their leg of entries gets bumped to first place.

11. You can withdraw a story during the submission period; however, once the voting starts, no story can be withdrawn.

Good luck! :)

Last 10 days to submit your stories!

zoolane
09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I wish had a story to enter but I have had time or ideas. Just seem thoughts that I seem writing which made people laughing which good enough at moment.

zoolane
09-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Can story be in any form, what I mean is can be in a thoughts and just described feelings.

Scheherazade
09-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, Zoo. It can be in any form :)

zoolane
09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Ty Sche:smile5::smile5:

sundarramchand
12-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Setting : In an office
Cast : 2 hulks, 1 Amazonian, Broad, Charismatic beauty (ABCB) , 1 Short fat nerd (SFN)

Round 1
Hulk 1 and Hulk2 in a race to pick up ABCB and drop her home from office. The loser gets to pick up SFN.

Hulk 1 wins (cos he has a bike with faster pickup) . Seen at rock concerts together.

Round 1 to Hulk 1

Round 2
Hulk 2 gets a better bike. Gets to drop ABCB. Seen at movies together.
Round 2 to Hulk 2.

Round 3
Hulk 1 and Hulk 2 between them (not on the same days) teach ABCB to drive the bike.
She gets a driving license.
Round 3 to ABCB

Round 4
ABCB starts giving SFN a ride home . Seen at art galleries together.
Round 4 to SFN.

Round 5
Hulk 1 and 2 drowning their sorrows in a pub after seeing off ABCB and SFN on their honeymoon.
They vow never to waste their time on women
They see a beautiful woman outside.
Both rush to their bikes.
Round 5 to life.

Moral : The victories in life need not go to the fastest or strongest (at least when it comes to the women
The meek shall inherit the earth (or at least make a hit with the women)

sundarramchand
12-24-2011, 11:40 PM
This was one of my early short stories. It is an attempt at a very, very light heart romantic comedy. As you can see, i have also tried to experiment with the structure of the narrative (where it reads more like the plot of a play than a traditional short story)