PDA

View Full Version : The Food That Costs Millions

LitNetIsGreat
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wk8gd/The_Foods_that_Make_Billions_The_Age_of_Plenty/#recommendSource=tv_episode_page

Quite an interesting documentary on the food industry, in particular the breakfast cereal, just thought I'd share it.

Emil Miller
12-05-2010, 06:32 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wk8gd/The_Foods_that_Make_Billions_The_Age_of_Plenty/#recommendSource=tv_episode_page

Quite an interesting documentary on the food industry, in particular the breakfast cereal, just thought I'd share it.

It doesn't surprise me Neely, for decades I have viewed the USA with a jaundiced eye precisely because of this kind of thing. However, there is more at play here than a documentary about US manipulation. Please note that the BBC are promoting this documentary and, therefore, cannot be trusted in presenting an impartial view; a case of using manipulation to manipulate.

LitNetIsGreat
12-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Yes it's not just the US who manufacture/value add food in this way though, it's a pretty standard thing all round, but I take your point. Speaking of manipulation you have got to take your hat off to the cunning of the advertising industry which has taken a product that didn't exist at all, to making it something that 95% of households consider standard. The same is true for loads of products of course - the power of advertising is the art of manipulation and propaganda. Personally I absolutely abhor advertising for various reasons and avoid as much as possible (even the kids have been programmed to mute the adds). Advertising is more than selling a product as I see it, it is manipulation and propaganda on a grand scale the likes of which Hitler would have been proud. I'm not just taking about breakfast cereal, pretty anything much, brainwashing filth it is.

Anyway, in terms of breakfast I don't usually have much space for it, however over the past month I have been trying to eat a little. I don't do breakfast cereal anyway, instead I have toast or whole grain products. This last week however I have been eating porridge from simple oats. I've even had it for lunch once or twice, mixed with a banana or honey. A big 1 KG pack of oats costs as little as 75p (though you could probably get it cheaper in more volume) enough for about 25 servings easily, so much better, healthier and cheaper than Choc and Roll or some such crap anyway.