PDA

View Full Version : Do you like libraries?

Paulclem
12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Do you like libraries? We're having one built - we being the community not the we - my family - about 70 metres from my house on the other side of the small Primary school that sits at the end of our road.

We've had a mobile library for about 6 years parked in the school grounds, but it seems to have just the same books it always had, and is a bit limited - no strike that from the record - it is a lot limited, though the librarians are nice.

So by April there will be a brand new library - open on Sundays - just a stones throw - hell even I could hit it from here - away from my front door.

They put the frame up really quickly.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P261010_1647_01.jpg

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P261010_1647.jpg

This is the library from my house jusy poking over the trees.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P281010_1158-1.jpg

Can't wait for it to open. I will still use the one in town though. It's also very handy.

L.M. The Third
12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Do I like libraries? *Snorts* Do humans need oxygen? Is the pope catholic? Can fish survive in water?

I really don't know if it would be a good or bad thing if a library was built a stone's throw from my house. (Though it wouldn't happen out in the middle of farmland.) I might become a permanent squatter in the building.

Very exciting, Paulclem! Hope it goes up fast!

Hurricane
12-01-2010, 09:50 PM
I love the library here at school. I probably spend more time there than anywhere else on campus (aside from my room, of course).

Mortis Anarchy
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I never check out books from the library unless it is for academic reasons. The biggest reason for that is I forget I have the books after reading them & then get stuck with a fine. Plus I'm a book hoarder. :out:

I do enjoy studying at libraries. Specifically the library on campus, but only select locations. And I definitely think they are important for communities. There is one in the downtown area of the state and that is where a lot of homeless people go when it is blazing hot or colder than a polar bears toenails. Sometimes I fantasize about doing that--reading all day. It also makes me wonder how many geniuses there are out on the streets.

YesNo
12-01-2010, 11:53 PM
The public library is about 4 blocks from where I live. On my daily walks, I often use it as a place to walk to instead of going through the park. While there I usually browse whatever comes to mind. Luckily it is well stocked.

So I guess you could say I like libraries. At least that one.

stlukesguild
12-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I rarely, if ever, use the libraries anymore... except when taking classes as part of my job. But then again... I virtually live in a small library which is probably better stocked in some areas (especially art books and poetry) than some larger libraries.

L.M. The Third
12-02-2010, 01:34 AM
I probably wouldn't be such a library addict if I had more money to spend on buying every book I wanted to read; but as it is, a trip to the library is often the high point of my week, and I seldom leave with less than a dozen items.

Lokasenna
12-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Libraries? Love 'em!

That said, the main Library here in Durham is rather hideous - it's a sort of 1960s/70s bunker. Fortunatly, students are permitted to use the Cathedral Library, so I'll often carry books over to there from the main library to work. It's a really wonderful space.

Leeds had a great library as well when I was there - the Brotherton is one of the great architectural delights of the north.

Madame X
12-02-2010, 08:41 AM
No sir, I don’t like ‘em. Something about the smell and all those stickily-fingered books with loose spines…not cozy at all. :nonod:

Emil Miller
12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Not anymore. I remember when public libraries were wonderful places with notices demanding silence so that people could read without disturbance. At that time I was constantly in the local library. Then they became more like community centres with squawking kids in buggies, people chattering and Gay Pride posters and other non-literary material dotted about. That was when I stopped using them and decided to buy books instead; only going there to reference material that was unobtainable elsewhere. Now I have a computer and am able to find out anything I need to so I haven't been to a library for years.

Lokasenna
12-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Can we make a distinction between public libraries and university libraries? I generally love the latter but despair of the former.

LitNetIsGreat
12-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes I like libraries. It's true that some public libraries can be a bit scraggy and not very well stocked, but now and again you are walking through one and a great little book jumps out at you when you don't expect it. Oh my, look at that - a couple of Balzac novellas, a completely brand new collection of poetry by Neruda etc, etc. On top of this, DVDs and CDs are pennies for the week, not that I tend to borrow either that much, but when I do I make good use of it (they have the beautiful La Traviata Zeffirelli DVD which is not available to buy at last look which I've checked it out about 4 times).

As for the University libraries I do think that they are a lot better, certainly in terms of academic stuff, but then again they should be really. I've just started using the online search tool and delivery option (delivered to the local branch of the University library) which is great. This means that I can browse stuff that I fancy, mostly academic based stuff, like Maslow this week, and just have them sent to pick up. Also, as I'm a part-time, third year student, I can have about a thousand books out at any one time for months if nobody reserves it.

Having said that, I do still buy a lot of books, especially ordered online, I very rarely buy brand new from shops any more as it is just not worth it. The only problem with this is that I do not have any more room for books. Mrs Neely is often not amused.

Great for you Paul, great position having a library across the road, spot on.

kasie
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Lucky you, Paul - a library on your doorstep. I lived in digs once about which the only good thing to be said was that I could see the library from my window. My first flat was a few minutes walk from a library too which was a lifesaver for me: mortgage rates went up to 17.5% at one stage very soon after I had bought it - no pennies for buying my own books in those days!

btw - has the Central Library in Coventry moved from that strange little building beside Holy Trinity church? It has a spiral stone staircase up to a gallery where the Eng Lit books were housed. I spent many happy hours browsing there - but that was ummm, something like forty years ago....

Paulclem
12-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi Kasie. I presume you mean the old Bluecoates School building - which is behind the black and white timber framed building and used to house a Samuels jeweller, but currently hosts a Wetherspoon's in the pics below.

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=964&pictureid=7516

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=964&pictureid=7521

It has moved to the building in the centre of the precinct that used to be the Locarno nightclub. (I think it was the Locarno - my wife knows it - but it may have been some other oddly exotic name). It's not really a good choice for a library, and I don't particularly like it. The stock of books isn't particularly good, but it's better than our local mobile one.

I'm very lucky to have the library cum health centre cum community place in one building not far away.

grace86
12-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Until I got exposed to my university library, my local public libraries were awesome, but I learned quickly how limited they can often times be. The university had three different libraries, and the one I frequented had three floors, and then a basement :) If I'd had more time, I would have gotten lost in there more.

But I think that despite the sometimes scanty selections, public libraries are critically important for the community and for people on several different levels of development for a person. Job skills, research, personal enrichment, community culture and activities, and even children learning to develop reading skills and an enjoyment for it are all incredibly important. I wish that more attention was paid to them.

Having moved recently I left all of my books back in California, and the public library around here is very tiny....we live on the outskirts of town....and all I want to do is visit it, but I am positive the selections will be limited. But, from the experiences I've had thus far, literary interests aren't exactly high around here either....we shall see.

But yes, libraries, I love them!

Nightshade
12-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Are we having a Love Libraries campaign? :lol:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m235/Night-D/Love-Libraries-libraries-.jpg
I love libraries espically public ones ( hey a librarian) not too keen on academic really as I atmosphere in them too stressed ( but that might be only the other side of the counter).

I actually like the community centre feel of public libraries, you get a nice eccletic collection of people and books and even though not everything that happens in the library is directly book related ( we had a concert once, as well as weekly yoga, pilates and bridge playing sessions) you can usually get people talking about books or people who are normaly not intrested in reading to pick up a book.

Where else can you have a conversation with a random stranger about the current trends in popular books (" NOT a NOTHER vampire romance!, They were good when the y first started but enough is enough". Or gush about the latest greatest 'best ever ever ever ' kids' book . Or moan about the deminsishing interest in the classics, or the significance and symbolisim of farm machines in Tractor's in the Ukraine.

( all of which are conversations I sued to have on a semi daily basis)

kasie
12-04-2010, 07:33 AM
The black and white building was Timothy White's in my day, Paul....no, the library was the other side of Holy Trinity - a cobbled walkway led past it down to the Cathedral.

They put the Library in the Locarno? That was a swinging place of a Saturday night (so I understand - I wasn't allowed to go...) - can't be giving off good vibes for a place of peace and quiet like a Library!

OrphanPip
12-04-2010, 12:06 PM
A man in Toronto was shot in the back with a crossbow at a library on Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/02/library-man-crossbow548.html

Scheherazade
12-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I love libraries; take part in their activities as well as borrowing books on regular basis.

Paul, you are so lucky to have one built so nearby! :)
Then they became more like community centres with squawking kids in buggies, people chattering and Gay Pride posters and other non-literary material dotted about. That was when I stopped using them and decided to buy books instead; Maybe if you let them know the days you will be paying a visit, they might consider closing their branch to the general public so that you can peruse the book in peace.

papayahed
12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
A man in Toronto was shot in the back with a crossbow at a library on Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/02/library-man-crossbow548.html

Holy Crap. No wonder why Brian doesn't go to libraries anymore!

I like libraries, ever since my anti owning book conversion the libraries have been a great resource. I've even started going to the library to do work work, less distractions then at home.

Emil Miller
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
IMaybe if you let them know the days you will be paying a visit, they might consider closing their branch to the general public so that you can peruse the book in peace.

Libraries are collections of books and, guess what, people read books in libraries. Why should anyone have to be a university student to obtain the necessary quiet to facilitate reading? I have nothing against computers being installed in libraries because their files are in effect electronic documents.
I've seen young people trying to study for examinations having to put up with children running around while the mother stands chattering to someone else. It should not be allowed in a library.
If people want to practice other activities, they should be doing so at an appropriate location. A place for everything and everything in its place is a pretty good maxim for a civilized way of living.

Scheherazade
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Libraries are collections of books and, guess what, people read books in libraries. Why should anyone have to be a university student to obtain the necessary quiet to facilitate reading? I have nothing against computers being installed in libraries because their files are in effect electronic documents.
I've seen young people trying to study for examinations having to put up with children running around while the mother stands chattering to someone else. It should not be allowed in a library.
If people want to practice other activities, they should be doing so at an appropriate location. A place for everything and everything in its place is a pretty good maxim for a civilized way of living.There are special rooms/sections in the libraries for those who long for absolute silence.

Otherwise, those mothers and their children are part of communities as much as the student who are hoping to study. I am very glad that libraries are not seen to be quiet places devoit of human interaction, managed by grump old librarians.

The Atheist
12-05-2010, 03:59 AM
I really don't know if it would be a good or bad thing if a library was built a stone's throw from my house.

Well, you'd know for sure it's not going to attract the wrong element!

I wish someone would build one closer to our place. Walking to a library is a luxury I'd love to have.

Nice one, Paul!

Gilliatt Gurgle
12-05-2010, 10:40 AM
There are special rooms/sections in the libraries for those who long for absolute silence.

Otherwise, those mothers and their children are part of communities as much as the student who are hoping to study. I am very glad that libraries are not seen to be quiet places devoit of human interaction, managed by grump old librarians.

Yes, but isn’t it ironic that under today’s library etiquette, the grumps who were weaned on the concept that the general stack spaces and adjacent reading areas should be a quiet place, are the ones who must make the effort to seek out an empty “study room”.

In the meantime the rug rats run between book stacks, knocking the copy of Freud out of your hands, while in search of the kernel reward at the end of the maze.
Chatty Cathy’s, droll on about Johnny’s last second goal catching the corner of the net, while sipping on mango frappachino smoothies.
The tween Goths snarling and texting each other periodically stopping the incessant clicking only to yell out; “DYGMLT?’ (“did you get my last text?”)

NO MORE! The grumps should not be the ones fighting over the sparse “study (quiet) rooms”. The Goths, rug rats and Chatty Cathy’s must be the ones who are relegated to these quiet cells!

Do you like libraries? We're having one built - we being the community not the we - my family - about 70 metres from my house...
...Can't wait for it to open. I will still use the one in town though. It's also very handy.

Paul that is wonderful to have it so close. It is too late now, but hopefully the design will incorporate enough "study rooms" so you may find peace in your life. Maybe, if you are lucky, the folks in your neck of the woods are a bit more grumpy.

Gilliatt

papayahed
12-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, but isn’t it ironic that under today’s library etiquette, the grumps who were weaned on the concept that the general stack spaces and adjacent reading areas should be a quiet place, are the ones who must make the effort to seek out an empty “study room”.

In the meantime the rug rats run between book stacks, knocking the copy of Freud out of your hands, while in search of the kernel reward at the end of the maze.
Chatty Cathy’s, droll on about Johnny’s last second goal catching the corner of the net, while sipping on mango frappachino smoothies.
The tween Goths snarling and texting each other periodically stopping the incessant clicking only to yell out; “DYGMLT?’ (“did you get my last text?”)

NO MORE! The grumps should not be the ones fighting over the sparse “study (quiet) rooms”. The Goths, rug rats and Chatty Cathy’s must be the ones who are relegated to these quiet cells!

Seriosly, What kind of library are you guys going too? I don't recognize any of these things.

Scheherazade
12-05-2010, 12:14 PM
NO MORE! The grumps should not be the ones fighting over the sparse “study (quiet) rooms”. The Goths, rug rats and Chatty Cathy’s must be the ones who are relegated to these quiet cells!On second thought, I think you are right, Gilliatt!

Obviously, teens, toddlers and casual readers cannot appreciate books as they should be so libraries should even stop storing books for them; people should not be offered memberships to libraries unless they are BA/BSc holders (at least) and, even then, their presence in the library'd better be aimed towards a worthy search of some sort!

And what's up with libraries offering Literacy and ESOL classes??? Why is precious library funding wasted on those who have not bothered to learn English properly so far???

Emil Miller
12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
On second thought, I think you are right, Gilliatt!

Obviously, teens, toddlers and casual readers cannot appreciate books as they should be so libraries should even stop storing books for them; people should not be offered memberships to libraries unless they are BA/BSc holders (at least) and, even then, their presence in the library'd better be aimed towards a worthy search of some sort!

And what's up with libraries offering Literacy and ESOL classes??? Why is precious library funding wasted on those who have not bothered to learn English properly so far???

This is a non argument, it's a matter of common sense and respect for others; both of which have been in short supply for some time. If somebody wants to learn a foreign language, for example, they will go to a language school. They might go to the library to read up on the subject but obviously they can do that better without the distraction of people causing an unnecessary disturbance. That's how it used to be and it worked, I don't recall people complaining that there were no other facilities and if they did want them they could go to a community centre.

Paulclem
12-05-2010, 06:20 PM
The black and white building was Timothy White's in my day, Paul....no, the library was the other side of Holy Trinity - a cobbled walkway led past it down to the Cathedral.

They put the Library in the Locarno? That was a swinging place of a Saturday night (so I understand - I wasn't allowed to go...) - can't be giving off good vibes for a place of peace and quiet like a Library!

We walked past it yesterday Kasie, and my wife - who is a Coventry kid agrees. I was just surmising. The old library was knocked down and replaced with a shopping centre with some flats.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P041210_1553.jpg

My wife reckons the door to the old library was where that sign is on the side of the building. The cobbles are still there.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P041210_1553_01.jpg

This is a picture a little to the left of the cobbled street of Holy Trinity Church.

ClaesGefvenberg
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Yep... I spend a lot of time at Eskilstuna City Library: Here is a shot of the interior (part of it):

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/ClaesG/DSC00854.jpg

/Claes

LitNetIsGreat
12-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Wowza, is that a public library Claes, it looks a fair size?

Is that chap asleep upper middle? Probably reading Samuel Richardson.

qimissung
12-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I love our library. I check out books occasionally. Sometimes I buy them. Still, I always enter our library with a sense of anticipation and happiness. It's a cozy place.

I'm so glad for you and your community, Paul. How fun to have it right down the street.

ClaesGefvenberg
12-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Wowza, is that a public library Claes, it looks a fair size?Yes, both public and fair size. As a matter of fact, this picture shows maybe 20% of its size, max. It is quite big... Fortunately :hurray:

Is that chap asleep upper middle? Probably reading Samuel Richardson.My, what sharp little eyes you have... I had not noticed him, and you may be right in both ways: Anything by Samuel Richardson would indeed be found close to where he is sitting.

/Claes

LitNetIsGreat
12-06-2010, 04:55 AM
Yes, both public and fair size. As a matter of fact, this picture shows maybe 20% of its size, max. It is quite big... Fortunately :hurray:
Wow, that's even better then that would be better than my university library.

My, what sharp little eyes you have... I had not noticed him, and you may be right in both ways: Anything by Samuel Richardson would indeed be found close to where he is sitting.

Ha, ha! :D I thought so, you can spot a Richardson reader a mile away.

kasie
12-06-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the pictures, Paul - yes, that's the spot and I reckon Mrs P has the right place for the entrance. I didn't think they would let the old place stay in use, somehow. But - the Locarno for the Library - still can't get my head round that!

Paulclem
12-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the pictures, Paul - yes, that's the spot and I reckon Mrs P has the right place for the entrance. I didn't think they would let the old place stay in use, somehow. But - the Locarno for the Library - still can't get my head round that!

It's a funny site. All upstairs with a balcony around the edge. I don't like the lighting, and I don't think it's a very comfortable place. They have a decent sized stock of books, but not as many as you'd expect for such a big city. We are graced with Coventry University's library which is nearby.

The smaller local libraries are nice. The best library I remember was a local library in Wakefield. It was quite small, but had floor to ceiling shelves with wood panelling, and a distinctive smell of polished parquet flooring. In my youth I used it for reference with my O'Levels, and I am sure that bit of extra study made all the difference.

In those days, a trip to the library was an evening out for me - I was between the ages of 13 and 16 with no cash. Then, as now, there wasn't much to do. Then, of course, my career in the pub began, and we parted company for a while. They shut my favourite library in the 80's cuts, as there was a bigger, but in my opinion, not as good a library not far away.

Paulclem
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Following Claes lead, I took some photos of the inside of our city library. As has been said, it used to be a nightclub - The Locarno.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P041210_1338_02.jpg

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P041210_1338_01.jpg

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/P041210_1338.jpg

Can you see it as a nightclub? Boogie nights amongst the bookcases?

kasie
12-08-2010, 07:14 AM
It's better than I expected, Paul - but what have they done with the glitter ball? It reminds me of my late and much-lamented branch of Borders, coffee shop upstairs where you could sit and gaze down on the books and decide which department to wander through on your way out.

Paulclem
12-09-2010, 06:17 AM
There wasn't much jigging in the aisles that day.

Borders went down last year didn't it? I was there at the end scavenging books from a large branch we had. Coffee in libraries would be good such as they have in bookshops. I'm not sure everyone would agree, but what could be better? Surrounded by books, browsing and slurping away in contented seats. Superb.

JBI
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
In Toronto I essentially live in a giant, endless library, Robarts Library, which is a major research institution and has virtually everything in its system. In China, I miss the feeling of being able to pick up any book I could possibly need, and so feel a little empty. On the plus though, buying books is very easy, and book stores and book sellers are amazing in China, so that is relaxing. Still it would be convenient to have this book I want to read badly at my disposal, but I will need to wait 9 months.

prendrelemick
12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Our library has just been been revamped-very nice, there is a drop in and grab a best seller section, then upstairs a suitably hushed browsing and studying area.

Kids must be given every welcome in the library-they are the future grumpy borrowers.

Paulclem
12-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Definately.

I remember the smell of the first libray I went into - it had a sort of polished smell, but it was unlike school. It had shelves lining the wall, and I was a little disapponted that they didn't have the wall to ceiling shelving - which would have done me no good anyway as I was 7 or so and small.

From there I borrowed The Wierdstone of Brisingamen - a novel about modern child witches - which I had difficulty understanding, but is still with me in the images it evoked.

I read the Dr Doolittle books, Moomintrolls and the Norse Myths. All the books had fantastically evocative line drawings in them of which I can still remember the best ones. I'll never forget the tense excitement of A Comet in Moominland which has a picture of a comet flaming behind a mountain and the characters racing away from it. Absolutely magic, and all provided free. That little library set me off reading and led to qualifications, university, career and, of inestimable value, a love of reading.

I've just found a picture of it on the web. There are computers now, but the shelves look the same. Funny it always seemed to have yellow paint on the interior.

Flanshaw Library.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/paulclem1/FlanshawLibrary.jpg

MystyrMystyry
12-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Honestly, I used to like them, now I like leaving them

But not before I've grabbed a selection of the New Scientist or Scientific American. something from an unknown author, something old, something heard of, something read before and a bit of music and a couple of dvd's

The other day I found a copy of Jacques Tati's classic Jour De Fete, and imagine my surprise to discover that he'd filmed it in both colour and black and white at the same time, but only ever released the latter because he couldn't afford development costs!

No, libraries tend to cause a bit of trepidation (not just from late fees)- they may be well stocked, but if I'm looking for something specific it's usually out, or worse, has never been in, or worstest, often sits defiantly unnattainable on the 'new' table

I'm not a fan of reading while in there, bcause I have a big beautiful leafy walnut tree to sit beneath in preference - and I can snack to my heart's content, sip on a martini or cocktail if in the mood (cheap detective stories tend to bring it on), or even go down to the local creek, and occasionally the beach

But overall I have a fondness for the smell and atmosphere and I still frequent them about eleven times a year (thus the late fees - if I could just make myself visit more often)

Delta40
12-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I like them. We live in a poor socio-economic area of the shire. It has four libraries but our libary is the dumping ground for the other three. Outdated, obsolete and damaged books come our way. There have been plans to close it down but really, in an area such as ours where few things are free, a library is a must. I object to pretty towns having pretty libraries with all the best technology and access to latest reads. I stand by our crappy little library and wonder why the literacy of children from these areas are greater than from middle-class.

arrytus
12-30-2010, 09:38 PM
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=964&pictureid=7521

this picture is like an optical illusion. you think the arm is that guy's until you notice the thumb

arrytus
12-30-2010, 09:40 PM
There is a great local library I frequent mainly because it has the most amazing used bookstore in it where I purchase many books [they go for around a buck a piece; can't beat that] and also work at occasionally.

Paulclem
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
this picture is like an optical illusion. you think the arm is that guy's until you notice the thumb

I think he had one long arm that he wrapped around himself. He had a bag in his near hand, but wanted to take that bottle of water...as far as I remember...

country doctor
12-31-2010, 05:22 PM
a library is a secular cathredral for the doc...he wouldn't mind posting a hammock up in one and just call it home if he could...

arrytus
01-01-2011, 02:39 AM
I think he had one long arm that he wrapped around himself. He had a bag in his near hand, but wanted to take that bottle of water...as far as I remember...

impossible. try it yourself

arrytus
01-01-2011, 02:40 AM
a library is a secular cathedral for the doc...he wouldn't mind posting a hammock up in one and just call it home if he could...

+1 good company too; make no noise and yet never dull

Paulclem
01-01-2011, 08:39 AM
impossible. try it yourself

I meant it was a freakishly long arm...:D

Patrick_Bateman
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I like libraries like this

http://www.miragebookmark.ch/images/city-library-of-stockholm.jpg

Giant rotundas with libraries of books in concentric circles are the way forward

Emil Miller
01-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Here's a picture of Sir Les Patterson the lubricious Australian Cultural attache as played by Barry Humphries.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/6605/barry3h.jpg

Humphries has his own library of over 25000 books that he has collected
ever since his mother gave some of his childhood reading material to the Salvation Army, without telling him, when he was nine years old.

kasie
01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
......Giant rotundas with libraries of books in concentric circles are the way forward

Can you stay in your seat and spin the shelves round till you can reach the book you want? :D

a library is a secular cathredral for the doc...he wouldn't mind posting a hammock up in one and just call it home if he could...

I visited T E Lawrence's cottage at Cloud's Hill in Dorset many years ago. He had the right idea: his room had nothing in it but a huge leather-covered bed-cum-couch with a leather sleeping bag, all the walls were lined with bookshelves, he had only to roll over to reach any book. There was a similarly fitted room for a guest. There was no kitchen, just a sideboard in the entrance hall with three dishes covered with glass domes, the sort they used to have in railway buffets years ago, bread under one, cheese under another and apples under the third. Upstairs was a Music Room, a couple of deep armchairs, a table with a horn gramaphone and shelves of records. That's my idea of Minimalism - bare essentials. (Though I think I would have to have a bathroom...)

qimissung
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
I visited T E Lawrence's cottage at Cloud's Hill in Dorset many years ago. He had the right idea: his room had nothing in it but a huge leather-covered bed-cum-couch with a leather sleeping bag, all the walls were lined with bookshelves, he had only to roll over to reach any book. There was a similarly fitted room for a guest. There was no kitchen, just a sideboard in the entrance hall with three dishes covered with glass domes, the sort they used to have in railway buffets years ago, bread under one, cheese under another and apples under the third. Upstairs was a Music Room, a couple of deep armchairs, a table with a horn gramaphone and shelves of records. That's my idea of Minimalism - bare essentials. (Though I think I would have to have a bathroom...)

That sounds so wonderful that my throat kind of closes up with excitement just thinking about it.

No wonder he's a legend.

country doctor
01-05-2011, 06:57 PM
yeah the doc has often fantasized about how great it would be if he could set up shop in a nice city library like the one in austin texas and have the place to himself after all the other patrons have to go home...just lose himself in all that reading...gotta have the hammock though...

he'd make sure he cleaned up his 'bedroom' before the place opened up again in the morning...just let him have a key and he'll let himself out 10 minutes before opening...

the doc can dream, can't he?

Paulclem
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I was in the library today, but couldn't choose, and so I came away empty handed. I was in a rush, but I need time to pick one - otherwise I don't want to commit myself.

It's not a proble though as I'm expecting an Amazon delivery tomorrow with The Ciy and The City by China Mieville, Heartstone by CJ Sansom and a Philip Kerr PI novel. Spoilt for choice!

1n50mn14
01-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I love libraries as a concept, but sometimes they can tick me off. People have often been very rude and cold to me at local libraries and do not often have what I'm looking for. We have a very strange collection of books between our local library branches- some things that you wouldn't really think of (obscure philosophical and poetry texts) and lack some very basic classics (Oscar Wilde, anybody?) I LOVE the University library, but much prefer a second-hand bookstore. We have a great one nearby where I can go and sit in the stacks for hours and read. And usually buy.

My own personal library, I loathe. It has taken over my bedroom. If I got better shelving, I would like it, but right now, it is out of control. I want a large, over-stuffed arm chair to sit beside my bookshelves in a nice little reading nook, preferably with a fireplace, a reading lamp and a snifter of brandy ;). My ideal library.

Patrick_Bateman
01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Can you stay in your seat and spin the shelves round till you can reach the book you want? :D

No but I WANT that to happen now you have said it.

Big Dante
01-24-2011, 07:05 AM
I love libraries but the two libraries in town have just about no books so me and my friends usually just go sit at a table and discuss various things. Just the atmosphere is soothing.

Lote-Tree
01-24-2011, 07:12 AM
Yes. But I have not set foot in one in the past ten years!

Why?

I got everything I need on the internet...

Paulclem
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Yes. But I have not set foot in one in the past ten years!

Why?

I got everything I need on the internet...

There was a time when I also lost interest in libraries - I swapped it for pubs. There's now't like a free book to read though.

jmnixon95
02-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I love libraries. :nod:

Paulclem
02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Our new library seems to be coming along, though it's hard to tell with all the scaffolding and netting around it.

I was in the central library yesterday. It's self service these days with check in terminals like the ones they have in supermarkets now. Pity about the library staff going because of them.

Also it was on the news that 400 libraries are to be closed in the UK. A rubbish idea.

country doctor
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM
it's self service in country doc country as well...but if you can't use the real simple machinery you can still have a librarian check out your materials for you...still looks fully staffed to the doc...and he still likes his secular cathedrals...

Paulclem
02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
it's self service in country doc country as well...but if you can't use the real simple machinery you can still have a librarian check out your materials for you...still looks fully staffed to the doc...and he still likes his secular cathedrals...

Yes, it's the same here. The librarians look a bit lost though, as they've revamped the entrance and the huge reception desk has disappeared. The Librarians are still about, but I wonder for how long for some of them.

L.M. The Third
02-11-2011, 01:15 AM
The problem with being in a huge library, like I was today, is that I have a powerful urge to eat as many books as possible. :drool5: Well, not literally.

Lee_93
02-15-2011, 08:22 AM
I’m beginning to think libraries are becoming more and more useless. The one near my house has got rid of most of the books and replaced them with about 30 computers, now if you order one you’ve got to wait at least a week for it to arrive. The college library is good though :)

Paulclem
02-15-2011, 09:10 PM
I remember how important the library was for me as a kid. We were poor - it was a day out on a skint Saturday. I think they've got to become more active than passive repositories. I know passive repositories are what serious readers like, but we have to think of the future.

Anyway - why don't they get Costa or Starbucks in and make a coffe and reading area? Our local waterstones has a Costa lodged on the top floor. Coffee - great book - what more ?

janeeyre88
02-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I love libraries, not only for myself but my child as well. Ours is a great source of information. If they don't have what you are looking for then they will get it in from another location in the state. Ever since my daughter was small I took her to storytime at the library and she loved it. We would take like 20 books a week out and now she is in second grade and one of the top readers in her class. I think they are a excellent place for young children.

Paulclem
02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
I love libraries, not only for myself but my child as well. Ours is a great source of information. If they don't have what you are looking for then they will get it in from another location in the state. Ever since my daughter was small I took her to storytime at the library and she loved it. We would take like 20 books a week out and now she is in second grade and one of the top readers in her class. I think they are a excellent place for young children.

It's true. get them interested in books from being babies, and they will carry the benefits throughout life.

Reichmann
02-28-2011, 04:28 AM
libraries level the playing field, where else can anyone become self taught?

Paulclem
03-05-2011, 08:47 PM
The new library is coming on. It'll be ready in May.

Buh4Bee
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
When are the libraries going to allow readers to down load books to their e-readers?

Paulclem
03-12-2011, 05:29 PM
They are slow to change round here, though the cuts in local authority funding has prompted a reduction of librarians in favour of checking in/out machines such as they have in supermarkets. I like the ease, but it's a pity about the staff.

kasie
03-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Libraries in Hampshire do allow downloading of e-books, according to my friends who live there, and the Carmarthenshire libraries do as well, or so the county website says. However when I asked in my local branch library, the librarian knew nothing about it and suggested I visit one of the main libraries to find out more. Apparently I have to register at one of the main libraries - I hope I can then download from home.

country doctor
04-09-2011, 01:01 PM
here's the books that the doc picked up this morning at his local library's used book sale...total cost? 7 dollars and fifty cents...

hard cover the complete works of william shakespeare
american dreamer: a life of henry a. wallace
the portable plato
anna karenina
one day in the life of ivan denisovich
the magic mountain
look homeward angel
don quixote
the liar's club

all good buys and the money going to a great cause...the doc's a happy shopper today...

Brock
05-04-2011, 05:09 PM
The problem with being in a huge library, like I was today, is that I have a powerful urge to eat as many books as possible. :drool5: Well, not literally.

Agreed. I feel like I'm a whale swimming through miles of krill.

The Brotherton library of the University of Leeds. Now THAT is a beautiful building. And laaaaaarge.

Paulclem
05-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Libraries in Hampshire do allow downloading of e-books, according to my friends who live there, and the Carmarthenshire libraries do as well, or so the county website says. However when I asked in my local branch library, the librarian knew nothing about it and suggested I visit one of the main libraries to find out more. Apparently I have to register at one of the main libraries - I hope I can then download from home.

That's good. I'm not aware of it being available here in Cov, but then I've never asked. Perhaps I'll enquire when I'm in next.

Agreed. I feel like I'm a whale swimming through miles of krill.

The Brotherton library of the University of Leeds. Now THAT is a beautiful building. And laaaaaarge.

I used to get lifts to the Brotherton Fox at Brotherton on the A1 on my way home from Sunderland to Wakefield in the 80's. When you live in or near a place you never bother to find out the significance of names.

qimissung
05-09-2011, 06:59 AM
G-a-a-a! I forgot a book that was due until I owed my local library $25! Even though it's my fault, I'm still annoyed.

But I'll go pay up next month, and enjoy the library again this summer.

What's the largest fine you ever had to pay, anyone? And did you ever keep a book that you adored?

Paulclem
05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
G-a-a-a! I forgot a book that was due until I owed my local library $25! Even though it's my fault, I'm still annoyed.

What's the largest fine you ever had to pay, anyone? And did you ever keep a book that you adored?

I've - sorry to admit - lost a couple of books from the library. They were very good about it though. I suspect they went into charity bags by mistake.

deguonis
05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
i'm very careful with the books i borrow. i treat them as I'd treat my pets (although i don't have pets nowadays the last creatures I had were two lovely rabbits.) I'm extremely careful with library books because I want other people to treat my books as I'd treat theirs.

country doctor
05-19-2011, 04:38 PM
i'm very careful with the books i borrow. i treat them as I'd treat my pets (although i don't have pets nowadays the last creatures I had were two lovely rabbits.) I'm extremely careful with library books because I want other people to treat my books as I'd treat theirs.

the doc's the same way...in all his years of borrowing library materials he has never incurred a fine...and he's not afraid to say that it irritates him to no end when he comes in contact w/ serial abusers of the library system...shows a lack of respect for the whole library community in the doc's opinion...

Paulclem
05-20-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm a mere mortal I'm afraid. I've incurred fines in the past and lost books.

Looks like I'll have to get the scourge out again...

Propter W.
05-20-2011, 08:18 PM
I like libraries and I'm actually thinking about getting a master's degree in library science.

Themis
05-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Do you like libraries?

In theory, I love them. I'm particularly fond of old libraries, like the national library here in Vienna or the library in the university of Coimbra (Portugal). I just love to see thousands of books in one place.

In praxi though I don't use them at all. I prefer to own books and have my own "library". Also, the district library doesn't seem to be well endowed. I've got more chance borrowing something interesting from various family members than from there.

Paulclem
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
In theory, I love them. I'm particularly fond of old libraries, like the national library here in Vienna or the library in the university of Coimbra (Portugal). I just love to see thousands of books in one place.

In praxi though I don't use them at all. I prefer to own books and have my own "library". Also, the district library doesn't seem to be well endowed. I've got more chance borrowing something interesting from various family members than from there.

Sorry Themis, I missed your response.

I'm just a book nerd. When I pop into town - virtually every day - then I'll visit a bookshop or the library or a secondhand shop. I do suffer from piles though...

I'm sorry- I think i've used that joke.

Vonny
06-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Sorry Themis, I missed your response.

I'm just a book nerd. When I pop into town - virtually every day - then I'll visit a bookshop or the library or a secondhand shop. I do suffer from piles though...

I'm sorry- I think i've used that joke.

I think you are different from many of the people on this forum. I could be wrong, you could suddenly turn into Dracula, but from what I can tell, you seem to be consistent.

I got a shock from someone just now. He changed from one person who I thought he was into someone else.

Why would someone warn me of stalkers, and so on, and act like a person of decency, and then say to me that cheap and dirty can be attractive?

Those posts may be removed, although I asked the mods not to remove them. I would like the posts to remain there because I want to understand.

As I said on the other thread, which may be removed, Emil calls himself "Retired Degenerate" and Neely says "What would Woody do?" so they don't pretend to be something they're not. They don't call themselves St Luke. Emil and Neely haven't said anything awful like that to me, either.

Paulclem
06-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Vonny. I've read through the posts you referred to.

All I can say is that I haven't picked up anything negative about St Lukes in the past , and I wouldn't worry about him. He's been a poster on here all the time I've been on and beyond, and he never seems vindictive, though his opinions are strongly voiced.

I think we all get carried away sometimes, and perhaps he feels he went a bit too far. I think that because of his long explanation He is keen to reassure you. I wouldn't worry, but ask some of the other posters you know by PM if you're not sure. I say that because I'm sure they'll say the same.

I haven't sent you a PM as I 'm happy to say all this in public.

Vonny
06-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi Vonny. I've read through the posts you referred to.

All I can say is that I haven't picked up anything negative about St Lukes in the past , and I wouldn't worry about him. He's been a poster on here all the time I've been on and beyond, and he never seems vindictive, though his opinions are strongly voiced.

I think we all get carried away sometimes, and perhaps he feels he went a bit too far. I think that because of his long explanation He is keen to reassure you. I wouldn't worry, but ask some of the other posters you know by PM if you're not sure. I say that because I'm sure they'll say the same.

I haven't sent you a PM as I 'm happy to say all this in public.

Thank you for the reply! Actually I read Dracula a long time ago and liked it, so I didn't intend to criticize Dracula. I'm going to read Frankenstein next.

I believe in freedom of speech and everyone being entirely themself. I'd never want to change anyone else. I like strong opinions and it's fun when people have changing natures that sometimes surprise me. I like conversations that are a bit racy too. (However, I realize now that, for me, those must be reserved for my real-time friends. Maybe racy to me has a different definition, actually. I ski.)

You don't seem to me - deviant. That's reassuring. And you seem to care about things such as libraries and your children's education. When I first came there was a Swedish man who was like you also. But he's not here at all now. He has a teenage daughter, I fully understand.

If there are a few people who aren't deviant, that's enough for me.

I'm not moralistic, or Mennonite, but my problem is that I've never been in a bar or a strip club.

But even if there is one person in a crowd who I can identify as not being deviant, that's a very rare occurrence and it's plenty good enough for me.

I didn't intend to derail your thread!

Paulclem
06-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I think that must be Claes - he a good guy. he drops in every now and then.

I think most people on here aren't deviant. Racy perhaps, as you say, but I don't think you get the malicious poters who might haunt other forums. (Actually I don't go on any other forums. There have been arguments on here, but nothing that couldn't be sorted - and the level of conversation and humour is really good.)

Thanks for your comments Vonny. I think there are plenty of good people here.

Annamariah
07-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Do I like libraries? Of course I do, I actually work in one at the moment! (At the moment I'm in the same library for two months - usually I do shifts in different libraries when someone is ill and they need a substitute.)

I'm very happy with the local libraries in Helsinki metropolitan area. There are libraries all around the city, bigger and smaller ones. You can borrow books from any library in the area with the same library card and you can return the books in any library too, even if you borrowed it from another library. You can request any book from the collection of any of the libraries and it will be delivered to the library of your choosing for the fee of 50 cents.

Here are some photos from the library I'm working in at the moment. It's also the library nearest to where I currently live :) There is a university library in the same building next to the city library. The libraries are in the biology/pharmacy/forestry campus of the university, so the collection in the university library is mostly about those fields.

http://www.sappho.net/eva/tarkastus/viikki/helmet.jpg

http://www.sappho.net/eva/tarkastus/viikki/hyllyt.jpg

http://www.lib.hel.fi/File/94ad3182-df38-40ea-9cfc-80d7b012e8f1/image002.jpg

http://www.lib.hel.fi/File/feea83a2-25ce-4bbb-a294-bae2536faabe/image004.jpg

http://www.lib.hel.fi/File/52cdfd72-3953-479f-a1fb-ed9192c46b5d/image005.jpg

I think libraries are for everyone, and that includes young children, young people, students, adults, and elderly people. There is something for everyone and everyone should be allowed to come. In most libraries (except for the smallest ones) there are separate areas for those who need quiet for working/reading, but in other areas it's okay to talk as long as one isn't making too much noise.

Even though libraries are becoming more self-service so that people can check out books or return them themselves with machines, librarians aren't going anywhere. There's still lots of work to do - the books don't get into the right shelves themselves (or travel from one library to another magically), all the requested books are still checked out from the service desk, people ask help for finding certain books or books on a certain topics and so on.

I'm sorry to hear that, qimissung, but if it's any consolation, yesterday a customer came to pay a fee of 101 euros (he had dozens of books that were much overdue)! :yikes: 25 dollars doesn't look as bad compared to that! :lol: We have a maximum fee of 6 euros per book, so one book won't get you 25 dollars worth of trouble unless you accidentally lose or destroy it and have to pay for it.

Paulclem
07-08-2011, 01:56 AM
That's a fine looking library.

Our local is just about finished. I'll be posting some pics of the new place soon.

Vonny
07-08-2011, 07:05 AM
As a kid I loved libraries. I remember in the first grade, when I was first allowed to check out a book and actually take it home. I couldn't believe it. We had few toys or anything growing up, because my father just wouldn't buy us anything.

Throughout elementary school, I hid out in the school library. Then, I always had lots of overdue books. Some kid (library assistant) would always come to my class and announce that I had overdue books. It felt like harrassment, so by 4th grade I figured out that I could easily steal books. I could just pick up a book and carry it out with my belongings, and not worry about the due date. The librarian would always call out good-bye to me, and she never suspected me. It became a habit and none of my family noticed that our home was filling up with books! One day I was in the library and a kid assistant was reconciling the card catalog with the collection, and all of the sudden she called out in horror, "A lot of the books just aren't here!! They aren't checked out, and they aren't here!!" They began frantically investigating and realized that many, many books were indeed missing. I was sitting there in silent horror. For quite a while I tried to get rid of the books in different ways, because I was afraid to return them, and then throughout 6th grade I graduallly slipped most of them back onto the shelves. I used to also steal books from stores. Luckily, I was never caught. And books are the only things that I've stolen in my life.

In recent years I've gone to the public library a couple of times a week. I'm notorious for my fines. Our libraries are small, but they will order books for you. I don't really like them to know what I read, though. And then they installed hidden cameras throughout the library so you're always under surveillance like when you go into a store. I don't really mind being watched. However, in the past few months I've realized that going to the library makes me feel disturbed.

I've wondered, what is it about the library that is troubling me? I think it's the people there. There's one guy there that I like and have a nonverbal communication with, but otherwise I don't like the staff or the patrons.

I've realized also that the library is another enclosed place that I don't like.

After all of these years I've decided to end my library patronage. They probably think I've died. The main reason I can do this now is because of the Kindle. And I'll just buy books from Amazon. I don't really need to go to the library and get books that have loads of germs and smell of cigarette smoke. And best of all is another opportunity to avoid the locals.

It would be different if we had nice libraries, like the ones pictured here, but ours are small and cramped without many windows.

Then the other problem is, whatever book I want- (such as Lord of the Rings, the most recent one I looked up) they may have it, but it's checked out and won't be available for at least 3 weeks.

And now if I could figure out why I'm here at 4 a.m. typing when I have to work tomorrow!

Paulclem
07-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Although I'd love a kindle, and would buy one tomorrow if i could get away with it, I'd still use the library. It's grown back on me.

Vonny
07-09-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your new library. I'm sure it will be much different from our rural branch.

Most books, of course, aren't available on kindle and never will be, so it isn't a substitute for a library.

A new library was built in our big city that cost a fortune and is supposed to be very nice, but I don't go into the city often.

There is a library at the community college, North Idaho College, and it is nice, but I haven't been there for a couple of years, because it's also in the big city.

If the college library was near me, I would definitely use it. That library is so strange though. It is full of really great books. I guess because it is a college, they feel they need a viable library. When you go in there, some people are using the computers, but no one is in the book aisles - no one. The books all look clean and new. The college buys new books all the time, but many books are older. You pick a book up and open it - and if it is an older book, it looks new and - it has been checked out only once or twice - and it hasn't been checked out for years -- I mean years and years!! Apparently students do not check out books anymore at all. They don't read. This probably doesn't include Twilight or Harry Potter books, I don't know about those. But in the history or science or literature section, the books are never touched. I have checked out books from there in the past. When I've taken books to check them out, the desk person has always looked at me funny, and they've made comments about my peculiar interest in history, or whatever. They really think you are odd for checking out a history book. That kind of thing makes me feel uncomfortable.

And also at my neighborhood library, it is even worse - concerning the subject matter of some of the books I check out - and the way they look at me. They act like I am very odd to have a special interest in that. And the books I get aren't that strange at all. There's just the one guy who works there who isn't like that.

And then, some of the staff make a scene about my fines, even though I pay.

I'm sure eventually I'll go back to my library, but for now I'm just going to read some classics that are available on the kindle, and give myself a break from those people!

I've only just gotten the kindle, so I probably shouldn't praise it until I use it a while.

Paulclem
07-19-2011, 01:51 AM
Yes. It's sort of sad to see a book unopened for years. I find our city library to be an odd place too. It has a kind of magnolia sheen abut it. It used to be a nightclub, and is not particularly suited to a library. The other thing is that there's no wood. I like a library to have wood in it. Also, lots of people don't use it as a library, but as something else. I don't mind that. At least it is working.

Buh4Bee
07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
2 vonny- I bought a kindle too and I have downloaded several free classics. I also just buy the books and store them. I love the kindle and I can be sort of like you that I hate running into people in town, especially when I'm flustered and running around. I don't have the patience to smile and nod at people when I am in that place mentally.

lawpark
07-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I rarely, if ever, use the libraries anymore... except when taking classes as part of my job. But then again... I virtually live in a small library which is probably better stocked in some areas (especially art books and poetry) than some larger libraries.

Would be interested to know what you have in your library ... any thread or blog posts on this stluke?

Paulclem
07-30-2011, 02:57 PM
I've been in the new library today. All shiny and new. I need to get some photos of the inside though. It's a small library, but it's bigger than the mobile library that used to serve us.

qimissung
07-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Your library is beautiful, Annahmariah. You are fortunate to work there. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your new library, Paul.

Annamariah
07-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Your library is beautiful, Annahmariah. You are fortunate to work there.

I am fortunate, indeed :) I've been there one month now, another one to go. I'll miss it once it's over, but at least I can keep on doing occasional shifts like I used to do before. And I'll get to work in other libraries too again, which is also nice for a change :)

The only downside is that since I'm there every day, I just keep coming across books I want to read. At the moment I have 28 books checked out from the library, and I keep on bringing more books home with me almost every day :D

Paulclem
07-31-2011, 05:02 PM
I am fortunate, indeed :) I've been there one month now, another one to go. I'll miss it once it's over, but at least I can keep on doing occasional shifts like I used to do before. And I'll get to work in other libraries too again, which is also nice for a change :)

The only downside is that since I'm there every day, I just keep coming across books I want to read. At the moment I have 28 books checked out from the library, and I keep on bringing more books home with me almost every day :D

That would be a problem for me too. I have piles of books on the little table by my settee which keeps getting higher. I just buy on impulse and still get stuff out of the library too. The other week I determined to not buy any books that day and got 6. I get lots from Oxfam or charity shops. .

tonywalt
08-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I miss buying books! Real books! I do love my kindle, especially when travelling I have a whole library with me.

I'm glad I have a study in my house (converted bedroom) cool feel to it.

Paulclem
08-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I miss buying books! Real books! I do love my kindle, especially when travelling I have a whole library with me.

I'm glad I have a study in my house (converted bedroom) cool feel to it.

I need a Kindle - we have space problems created by my - and my wife's - love of books. We try to keep few now as al the shelves that we have are full.