PDA

View Full Version : The L Word

Shalot
11-29-2010, 10:22 PM
So I just happened upon an episode of L Word on Showtime one night and now I've got this Playstation and you can download a lot of stuff to watch whenever you want so i've been flipping back and forth between Dexter and The L Word (old episodes of course because I seldem get into a TV show while its current except for Fringe for some reason). Anyway, this poll has to do with the L Word - I'm only up to season five and whatever episode I happened to catch that started all this. It's a such a soap opera - I'm hooked now. Any other L Word fans out there? And if so, who is your favorite character and why?

OrphanPip
11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I've never gotten into this one, though in a lot of ways it's Showtimes spiritual successor to the American Queer as Folk.

My lesbian friends seem to favour the early seasons. I've only caught episodes here and there, I don't even know the characters' names, unfortunately.

Patrick_Bateman
12-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Whichever one takes her clothes off most often.

Delta40
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
lol. I think the L Word is a show aimed to stimulate the curious appetites of heterosexual viewers and has little other purpose than that

OrphanPip
12-04-2010, 08:50 PM
lol. I think the L Word is a show aimed to stimulate the curious appetites of heterosexual viewers and has little other purpose than that

Well I'm not so sure about that. Heterosexual viewers will make up the majority of any mainstream tv shows, but the shows tend to be popular with gay and lesbian viewers just because there's a complete lack of gay themed media. Although, queer as folk tended to be far more focused towards a gay audience than the L word. I don't know many gay men who haven't watched QaF, but there are a lot of lesbians who don't care for the L word too much.

Delta40
12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
My lesbian friends can't stand L Word but they did enjoy QaF for the very reason you have given. My point about the L Word is that its production is less about lesbian lifestyle and all its packages as it is designed to entertain heterosexual fantasies

Shalot
12-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Alright, so no other votes on the characters then, so far.

So I finally got access to the first season and I realize that I left Marina out of the poll (not that it matters since no one voted anyway).

I'm reading the comments on the thread and it's interesting because people are talking about how lesbian audiences don't like the show and that it's more for heterosexuals. That's interesting.

My poll was more superficial than that though. I was just asking which character you like.

I chose Shane. The personality in combination with that eyeliner and those clothes is appealing to me. And I like Alice also - it's all personality there.

If you were involved in making a show that would draw in an audience and generate revenue, you would be able to create onscreen personas that have some appeal to a general audience. I think the L Word does that.

Oh and can I just add that I hate Papi - I hate the concept of Papi and I hate that her name is Papi. Papi could just ruin the whole thing. And Jenny...WTF? What a douchebag she became. And I really hated Helena at first but then she redeemed herself in later episodes. The show is hilarious - so much drama...and poor Bette and Tina. So much drama there. But I'm just talking to myself. Real lesbians won't touch it and straight people won't watch because they're afraid people might think they're gay.... :->

Delta40
12-05-2010, 02:03 AM
lol. sorry missed the superficial aspect to your question. I assumed it had some depth but as you're interested in whether la la land will generate money, then of course a bunch of plastic heterosexual actresses paid to do b grade lesbo performances within an equally plastic middle-class context, without absolutely any regard for the social group they target, will make you rich!

Perhaps a series called Lesbian Border Wars will attract an even bigger audience! ha ha.

Shalot
12-05-2010, 02:33 AM
lol. sorry missed the superficial aspect to your question. I assumed it had some depth but as you're interested in whether la la land will generate money, then of course a bunch of plastic heterosexual actresses paid to do b grade lesbo performances within an equally plastic middle-class context, without absolutely any regard for the social group they target, will make you rich!

Perhaps a series called Lesbian Border Wars will attract an even bigger audience! ha ha.

oh the hostility. ha ha ha. so no characters on L word are likable at all then?

Delta40
12-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Not for me, I'm afraid - Now let me fantasize about Mike Brady in peace :D

Shalot
12-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Whichever one takes her clothes off most often.

Well that depends on which episode it is. Lots of boobage on this show.