PDA

View Full Version : Reading Little Women

Nazish
11-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Hello everyone, I'm reading Little Women these days. Its such an innocent and sentimental book of all times. Makes me wish for such a sisterly love and innocence in today's world ! Anyway, lets start of with the discussion.

Who is your favourite character in the book and why?

kelby_lake
11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I always identified with Jo. But I do love Laurie! :)

Nazish
11-28-2010, 12:55 PM
I love Jo too.. was amazed to read that Mrs. March was not so happy for her 16 year old Meg to have thoughts about her pure friendship with Laurie as anything else, as that would only adulterate Meg's innocent mind. That is such a strong contrast with what Sweet Valley High paperbacks schools the teenage girls of 16 :D I hope my point is clear !

Suzanne33
12-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Hello everyone, I'm reading Little Women these days. Its such an innocent and sentimental book of all times. Makes me wish for such a sisterly love and innocence in today's world ! Anyway, lets start of with the discussion.

Who is your favourite character in the book and why?

My favourite character is Beth.

LongBlade
02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
My favourite is Jo.

Josephine "Jo" March: The protagonist of the novel, Jo is an autobiographical depiction of Louisa May Alcott herself. A tomboy, Jo is the second daughter, aged fifteen at the beginning of the story. She is outspoken and has a passion for writing. Her nature often gets her into trouble, while her heart often pushes her into acts of kindness. She is very close to her younger sister, Beth, a quiet and compassionate character who offsets Jo's more outgoing nature. At the beginning of the book, Jo is unhappily employed as a companion by her Aunt March. When Beth comes down with scarlet fever, Amy replaces Jo as Aunt March's companion. Jo cuts off her long, chestnut brown hair—"her one beauty", as Amy once called it — and sells it to a wig shop to earn travel money for her mother to visit their father, a Civil War chaplain who is dangerously ill. Jo receives a marriage proposal from her childhood friend and neighbor Laurie, but she refuses him. Later, Jo moves to New York, where she meets Professor Friedrich "Fritz" Bhaer, whom she later marries. Regarding Jo's marriage, Alcott later wrote, "Jo should have remained a literary spinster, but so many enthusiastic young ladies wrote to me clamorously demanding that she should marry Laurie, or somebody, that I didn't dare refuse and out of perversity went and made a funny match for her". :cornut:

booknerd27
08-01-2011, 12:38 AM
I love all of them but I'd have to say my favorite character is Amy