PDA

View Full Version : Help w. a specific line in Telemachus

Macintosh
11-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Chapter 1 (Telemachus), pg 8, line 242-44: Buck Mulligan has just down from the tower parapet, leaving Stephen to brood. He looks across the water...

"Woodshadows floated silently by through the morning peace from the stairhead seaward where he gazed. Inshore and farther out the mirror of water whitened, spurned by lightshod hurrying feet..."

I'm missing the basis for the metaphor "spurned by lightshod hurrying feet". Can anyone explain it? Thanks.

Alakazam
12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm wondering if the hurrying feet are the reflections of birds on the water, far out? Or maybe they are overcast, passing clowds casting their shadows over the water. Either way, Stephen Dedalus seems to be lending them human-like qualities.

Macintosh
12-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Birds did occur to me. It's the word "spurned" that I can't fit. To be spurned is to be shunned and the metaphor falls flat because I can't figure out why the water gets spurned. However, here's a possible thought: maybe it's a typo? Maybe the word should have been "spurred" which then makes sense. Mmm?

hanzklein
12-20-2010, 01:13 AM
It's talking about the white foam on the waves. 'Shod' means a horse shoe, and spurned can mean 'kick or trample underfoot' in this context. The motion of the white foam on the waves as they go to and fro resembles horses charging. This is also referenced in chapter 3, where it talks about "whitemaned seahorses".

Macintosh
12-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Ah! That's a definition of spurned I didn't know! Thanks -- explained now.

maxphisher
02-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Yes, I think that hanzklein has the key here. Look into the horses of Manannan Mac Lir. Joyce uses this Irish god whose steeds symbolize the seafoam of the ocean's waves. Also, think about "O'Donohue's Mistress" by Thomas Moore. Joyce was definitely aware of Moore's songs, and he uses a white horse motif that is tied to Moore in "The Dead."

Yulehesays
12-02-2013, 03:20 PM
It's talking about the white foam on the waves. 'Shod' means a horse shoe, and spurned can mean 'kick or trample underfoot' in this context. The motion of the white foam on the waves as they go to and fro resembles horses charging. This is also referenced in chapter 3, where it talks about "whitemaned seahorses".

Excellent.