PDA

View Full Version : Heart of Darkness Questions

RisingStorm
11-24-2010, 08:38 PM
So i've been working on my heart of darkness questions for class and i've having some trouble with these few questions. Any help would be appreciated! :seeya:

1. What does the frame narrator say distinguishes Marlow from other sailors? How is this distinction significant with respect to the adventure that Marlow recounts?

2. Describe the exchange between Marlow and his idealistic Aunt. How well does Marlow's self-description as a realist hold up over the course of the story? Explain.

3. When Marlow reaches the Company's Outer Station, and offers us some observations about it. What does he say about the reigning "Devil" in this Outer Station? How does this "Devil" differ from others with whom he has made acquaintance?

4. What fundamental contrast or contradiction among the Outer Station inhabitants begins to appear right away, as soon as Marlow comes across dying workers and the smartly dressed Company Accountant?

5. What is the first description we hear of Kurtz? For what quality or activity is he praised? How does the praise bring up the novella's frequent oppositions between light or whiteness and darkness?

6. When Marlow reaches the Central Station, how does he describe nature's effects on the Station and its inhabitants? What power does the wilderness have over the Station, and what appears to motivate its occupants?

7. What view of Kurtz does the Brickmaker (a favorite of the Manager) take? Why does he appear to resent Kurtz?

8. How do the Manager and his nephew reveal their resentment of Kurtz in spite of that agent's obvious success as an ivory collector? What effect does their resentment have upon Marlow, who has overheard their conversation?

9. What does Marlow imply is the basis for his ability to respond to the African natives he observes? To what extent does he here invoke the distinction often made between nature and culture, primitive and civilized? Does he accept that distinction?

10. After making some less than condemnatory remarks about Kurtz, Marlow is pegged as a "fellow traveler" of Kurtz. How does Marlow react when he finally closes in upon and then encounters Kurtz?

Once again, any sort of help would be appreciated!