PDA

View Full Version : Can our lives be a dream?

Tobeornotobe
11-06-2010, 02:59 AM
Well, you must have been confused with the title I posted. About three months ago, I watched Inception, and that movie sparked so many questions about philosophy. What makes us think that the life we are living is real, not a dream? In other words, what could possibly help us distinguish between reality and dream?

Besides, the machine which, in the movie, is used to fall into someone's dream, fascinated me. I was curious if it is possible with our technology to invent such a machine to 'navigate a dream'.

The purpose of posting this is not to insist that my point of view on the movie is correct, but to see other people's response on it. How do you guys think about the movie?

P.S. please excuse my poor grammar & sentence structure if you see one...

Shalot
11-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Well, you must have been confused with the title I posted. About three months ago, I watched Inception, and that movie sparked so many questions about philosophy. What makes us think that the life we are living is real, not a dream? In other words, what could possibly help us distinguish between reality and dream?

Besides, the machine which, in the movie, is used to fall into someone's dream, fascinated me. I was curious if it is possible with our technology to invent such a machine to 'navigate a dream'.

The purpose of posting this is not to insist that my point of view on the movie is correct, but to see other people's response on it. How do you guys think about the movie?

P.S. please excuse my poor grammar & sentence structure if you see one...

When the movie ended, I wasn't sure that his dream had ever ended. They could make a sequel. The movie's end was just the point where the viewer exited. Dreams are crazy like that - in one night you can have several dreams. At one point you're in a gymnasium or something and at some point you're not in that gymnasium and you're in an underground parking garage where something has just exploded.

neilgee
11-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Behind the shelter in the middle of the roundabout
The pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
And although she feels as though she's in a play
She is anyway

- John Lennon.

YesNo
11-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Behind the shelter in the middle of the roundabout
The pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray
And although she feels as though she's in a play
She is anyway

- John Lennon.
I realized I never knew those lyrics. But I'm glad I know them now. Thanks, neilgee.

Our lives may be dreams even when we think we are awake and Inception plays on that idea. So did the Matrix. The technologies used to control our dream states in both of those movies didn't seem realistic, but they did help make interesting plots.