PDA

View Full Version : Witchcraft - King James I - Macbeth

blacknyx
10-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Okay so I need to write an essay about the historical contexts of Macbeth.

One idea I am trying to write about is the concept of Witchcraft.

We all know that King James I was super fascinated by witchcraft and even wrote about it in his book Daemonologie in 1597.

We also know that James was a pretty violent and evil king.

So I am wondering if there is any standing in the argument that Shakespeare used the witches not only to entertain James with his interest in Witches but also as a way of showing how Macbeth was influenced by these witches to do evil almost as if these witches (That we don't even know if they are real or just in his imagination) are just an excuse for Macbeth's evil choices much like James has bad reasons for doing his evil things like killing women, etc.

Could I go with this?

What are some other reasons Shakespeare might have used witches in Macbeth other as a topic of interest to James?

Thanks

Gladys
10-27-2010, 02:52 AM
The witches, from the dark side, supply first temptation and, later, muted mockery and reproach. They are cosmic forces promising much while foreshadowing fate's awful condemnation

billl
10-27-2010, 03:01 AM
easy for THEM to do...

fortitude
11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
ı think the three witches are the reflections of what is in Macbeth's mind. He has already passion for the throne and he needs the support of some powerful creations. It can be seen in the three apparitions also. All of the apparitions say what macbeth wants to hear. We can understand that macbeth's deep ambition just tries to find support.