PDA

View Full Version : Addiction Verus Love For a Child?

zoolane
10-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Addiction Versus Love For a child?

How can someone being addiction to alcoholic and not love their child?

1, Lots of people, young and elders used alcohol to relax. Which is
called ' Social Drinkers'. Sometime it become more of problem.
Other people used to escape issues from past or present and
in my opinion are likely to turn it to alcoholics.

2, Fact is that Alcohol has chemical in. It which
help stimulates apart for brain which is
generally called 'The Pleasure Centre'.
Scientists in 1950s or 60s actual find at the
brain has build in receptors that help the
brain being in 'The Pleasure Centre'.

3, It will know fact the alcohol or any addiction to substance
change way you think. Alcohol gave people the idea that
ambition would faded away so it reality they fought could do
anything. Phrase which is often used lots ' Dutch Courage'.

4, Alcohol can cause depression and lead other substances abuse.

I had parents who both had alcoholic problems. I know that
the drink away came first. I mean everything. Love, food,
clothes and safety for the child or children's.

How can you not put your child first even if you have addiction?

Surely the love for your child should be your addiction.
Well power should be enough to conquer it? should it?

I have children, I would do more less anything without break
the law I think to protect them. I love them to pieces sure every
parent does? with or with out addiction problem.

Spelling checker gone missed of my browser so I am sorry for mistakes

zoolane
10-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I am sorry if offend anyone with his thread, it not my intention to do so.

hillwalker
10-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Hello - and I doubt anyone could be offended.

I think most parents would break the law to protect their children.
You drew the short straw when you were born - your own children were a lot luckier, and your experience has probably made you a better mother because of that.

There are lots of addicts (drugs/alcohol) who abuse their children emotionally by neglect and poor parenting skills. It's a growing problem as more and more people are tempted to look for an escape into la-la-land. Thanks for highlighting it here.

H

Gladys
10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I had parents who both had alcoholic problems. I know that
the drink alway came first. I mean everything. Love, food,
clothes and safety for the child or childrens'.

Medical hype aside, addiction offers refuge from an unkind world, for someone not coping?

Virgil
10-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Zoolane, an addict is incapable of controling himself. That is why I am so hard on people who glorify drugs. Alcohol can be just as big a problem as drugs, and in some cases more so. But alcohol is already part of our cultural norms, and so there is not much we can do except not tolerate drunkeness. By the way, that is why I am against legalizing any drugs. We already have alcohol as a cultural norm, there is no reason to promote another dangerous substance to a norm.

Delta40
10-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't think the question is whether an addict loves their children less than a non-addict but whether they are caught in the grips of something which make it difficult for them to function at the level they know their children deserve.

My whole family are functioning alcoholics. I have zero tolerance. According to them, I'm the one with the problem. I

I think you're brave to ask the hard questions Zoo.

zoolane
10-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Medical hype aside, addiction offers refuge from an unkind world, for someone not coping?

But If you alone parent or with family, most people with evenaully ask for help and hopeful someone like 'Health Visitor' would offer or contact social services."]

Zoolane, an addict is incapable of controling himself. That is why I am so hard on people who glorify drugs. Alcohol can be just as big a problem as drugs, and in some cases more so. But alcohol is already part of our cultural norms, and so there is not much we can do except not tolerate drunkeness. By the way, that is why I am against legalizing any drugs. We already have alcohol as a cultural norm, there is no reason to promote another dangerous substance to a norm.

I agree that alcohol has social acceptable for decades, also think each country who has problem with anti-social behaviour or any crime should rise their hands and do something about. In Britain it norm to see young as 10 years old drinking and smoking out of street

I don't think the question is whether an addict loves their children less than a non-addict but whether they are caught in the grips of something which make it difficult for them to function at the level they know their children deserve.

My whole family are functioning alcoholics. I have zero tolerance. According to them, I'm the one with the problem. I

I think you're brave to ask the hard questions Zoo.

Families can stressful. I think children with parents that have addiction to substance. Can some time turn out same as parents or go total opposite way.

I done addiction to alcoholic in teenager, I think because my parents did it so was norm and were always alcoholic in my house. My 1st never hangover was when 9 years of age from cider. Now I drinking very rarely.

I think hard questions to questions going round in someone for decades. But surely can't being only person ask it out loud?

OrphanPip
10-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Depends on the kind of addiction you can have psychological or physical addiction. And there is overlap between both modes of addiction. Usually, a psychological predisposition for abusing a substance is necessary before someone develops a physical addiction. However, it is less the need for a refuge that drives someone to crack and heroine addiction, but rather the strong physical addiction that develops from abusing those substances.

On to the thread topic, I agree with Delta. Addicts probably don't love their children any less than others, they just have competing compulsions that get in the way.

Personally, I've never had to deal with addiction in my family on any personal level. I've only had about 4 or 5 alcoholic beverages this year, myself. And I've never smoked or taken any drugs. I'm really boring.

Gladys
10-23-2010, 11:43 PM
However, it is less the need for a refuge that drives someone to crack and heroine addiction, but rather the strong physical addiction that develops from abusing those substances.

Yes, but isn't escape from addiction's downhill slide more likely where the addict yearns to embrace life to the full rather than seeking refuge from an unkind world in which coping has become problematic?

OrphanPip
10-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Yes, but isn't escape from addiction's downhill slide more likely where the addict yearns to embrace life to the full rather than seeking refuge from an unkind world in which coping has become problematic?

I think it would be nice to think so, but I have a feeling that this arises from our personal feelings about being strong enough to resist addiction. If addiction were merely a matter of state of mind, of willpower, it wouldn't correlate with genetics and social class so heavily. The world you grow up in, the amount of drugs you're exposed to, genetic predispositions to addiction, a lack of support structure, and many other things contribute to what kind of people end up as addicts. Reducing it merely to the state of mind of the addict, I think, distracts from the culpability society as a whole shares in shaping a world that pushes these people down, we make it far more difficult for the crack head to seek help than for the rich socialite with a preference for nose candy.

billl
10-24-2010, 12:34 AM
It is pretty easy for me to read the last two posts (#9 and #10) as being in more than just general agreement. Unkind world, society's culpability, it isn't *just* the physical addiction...

But there is a lot to the point that it can depend on the substance (This is just anecdotal, but I have heard very insistent testimony from a user that crack is a whole different thing than nose candy, as far as getting someone addicted). It also appears that genetics can play an important role.

zoolane
10-24-2010, 06:18 AM
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/genetics/index.html

This link show little map about addiction pass through families also that top page get some infor about ''suseceptiblity is not always going means addiction problem''.

zoolane
10-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Depends on the kind of addiction you can have psychological or physical addiction. And there is overlap between both modes of addiction. Usually, a psychological predisposition for abusing a substance is necessary before someone develops a physical addiction. However, it is less the need for a refuge that drives someone to crack and heroine addiction, but rather the strong physical addiction that develops from abusing those substances.

On to the thread topic, I agree with Delta. Addicts probably don't love their children any less than others, they just have competing compulsions that get in the way.

Personally, I've never had to deal with addiction in my family on any personal level. I've only had about 4 or 5 alcoholic beverages this year, myself. And I've never smoked or taken any drugs. I'm really boring.

Why are you boring just you have heavy drinking or smoker so what.

So for example you have great job, great social life and family. One of your friend offer you some drugs on night. You decide why not, once wan't hurt. Few months later, you life is tatter, you have loss at great job and on soon going lose family because that one decision you made.

I think it would be nice to think so, but I have a feeling that this arises from our personal feelings about being strong enough to resist addiction. If addiction were merely a matter of state of mind, of willpower, it wouldn't correlate with genetics and social class so heavily. The world you grow up in, the amount of drugs you're exposed to, genetic predispositions to addiction, a lack of support structure, and many other things contribute to what kind of people end up as addicts. Reducing it merely to the state of mind of the addict, I think, distracts from the culpability society as a whole shares in shaping a world that pushes these people down, we make it far more difficult for the crack head to seek help than for the rich socialite with a preference for nose candy.

For as I worked out if have parents' that addiction to substance then children's depends on how children's they are. One is more likely to have addiction personality and will power alone might be enough or medical help won't work.

keilj
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
A lot of people are addicted to their children ("child worshipers" as George Carlin called them)

Delta40
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't think addiction of any sort is a good thing Addiction means to devote yourself to something, apply habitually and compusively, without consideration for self or others and being unable to stop without incurring adverse effects. That is not healthy parent love. Nothing that fits this criteria can be considered healthy.

zoolane
10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Any addiction to any substances or anything is dangerous to everyone. You're Dealt40