PDA

View Full Version : Moon is Shrinking

krisgil_aguila
08-22-2010, 03:32 AM
the moon is shrinking,..
what do you think about that?
earth is next?

http://www.examiner.com/astronomy-in-national/moon-is-shrinking-nasa-s-lroc-mission-discovers-evidence-of-lunar-contraction

The Atheist
08-28-2010, 03:41 PM
the moon is shrinking,..
what do you think about that?
earth is next?

Yes indeed.

The rate of decay, however, isn't all that much cause for concern. The time frame involved means that it's a near-certainty that humans won't be around.

Janine
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
By the time the moon would shrink to nothing, you and I will have shrunk, too. I just read the article and it's no great revelation that it's shrinking. Everything in the universe shrinks and expands; they even theorize that space itself is not static, but rather shrinks and expands continually. Look up YT clips from Professor Brian Cox on Quantum physics and the univere. He is quite interesting and entertaining, as well...love listening to his lectures, even if I don't understand all he says.

In this paragrah:

The Moon was hot and molten when it first formed. The Moon gradually cooled and solidified. The lunar interior, while not as hot as Earth's interior, is still warm. So the Moon continues to cool and shrink slightly as it cools.

It's common knowledge that the earth has a hot core and perhaps it is doing a similar thing. Nothing in the universe is static; it all keeps changing. A billion years is a long time, so I am sure we don't have to worry much at this time. The moon will still be there and visable for a good bit of time.