PDA

View Full Version : Another Pygmalion?

Truthlover
08-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Dear Friends of Online Literature:

I read Dr. Thorne about four years ago. I recall I liked the book very much. The total caringness shown by Dr. Thorne toward his niece Mary had its origin in the weird circumstance connected with her birth. Even though the bond created between Dr. Thorne and Mary is unique, what hopefully may enrich my own sense of compassion is the voyage I experienced into their lives. Dr. Thorne's generous spirit makes me question my own deficiency. Mary reminded me of "My Fair Lady." Without Dr. Thorne she most likely would have ended up rejected by society. The man she eventually marries heroically persevered against the strong objections of his family, particularly of his mother. It boiled down to "marrying for money," a theme reappearing often in 19th Century English novels. Mary ends up like Slum Dog! This book's optimism can be contrasted with Hardy's pessimism in Tess D'Ubervilles. As one of the Barset Chronicle series, Dr. Thorne is recommendable and enjoyable. All of the six books enchanted me very much. My favorite is Barchester Towers. The one that seized my attention the least was Framley Parsonage, but that may depend more on personal taste. After Barchester Towers, The Small House at Allington had me fascinated from beginning to end. Some say The Last Chronicle of Barset is the deepest from a psychological point of view. I'll have to read it again soon.