PDA

View Full Version : About Tom Buchanan

dbalsx
07-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm new to American literature. I started reading Gatsby out of curiosity. For some reason, I like Scott Fitzgerald writing, even though it is slightly difficult to grasp, and at times confusing as to what he is trying to say.

My question is about Tom Buchanan - The careless, rich, snob, husband of Daisy.

Isn't Tom the one who tells Mr.Wilson that the car that hit Myrtle, his mistress, belong to Gatsby? After Mr.Wilson supposedly have threatened Tom to kill him holding the revolver. By that didn't he hint (lie) that it was Gatsby that Myrtle was having affair with?

I don't see this particular point captured in the summary of the story I read in another site. May be I misunderstood? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Another point to note here is about Gatsby's past. Is the part about Gatsby acquiring 25,000 dollars from Cody after his death, true? The rest of the millions of dollars of Cody's wealth goes to his wife.

Or, did Gatsby earn all his money through illegal activities?

dbalsx
07-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I have read four of Fitzgerald's stories so far - The Great Gatsby, Head and Shoulders, Ice palace (a village girls falls in love with a city guy and moves in with him), Another story about a guy seeking loan from his friend, who is reluctant to give him any money...(not sure what the title is)

I see a pattern that the characters often hate the city life and return back to their roots. He portrays city people as very shallow and money driven. Agree?

fadinglights
12-18-2011, 06:34 PM
The part about Gatsby acquiring 25,000 dollars from Cody after death:
> "And it was from Cody that he inherited money - a legacy of twenty-five thousand dollars. He didn't get it. He never understood the legal device that was used against him, but what remained of the millions went intact to Ella Kaye. He was left with his singularly appropriate euducation ... "

So no, he didn't get the 25 grand, Ella Kaye took everything. I presume he used illegal means to gain his later wealth.

KCurtis
12-20-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm new to American literature. I started reading Gatsby out of curiosity. For some reason, I like Scott Fitzgerald writing, even though it is slightly difficult to grasp, and at times confusing as to what he is trying to say.

My question is about Tom Buchanan - The careless, rich, snob, husband of Daisy.

Isn't Tom the one who tells Mr.Wilson that the car that hit Myrtle, his mistress, belong to Gatsby? After Mr.Wilson supposedly have threatened Tom to kill him holding the revolver. By that didn't he hint (lie) that it was Gatsby that Myrtle was having affair with?

I don't see this particular point captured in the summary of the story I read in another site. May be I misunderstood? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Another point to note here is about Gatsby's past. Is the part about Gatsby acquiring 25,000 dollars from Cody after his death, true? The rest of the millions of dollars of Cody's wealth goes to his wife.

Or, did Gatsby earn all his money through illegal activities?

Yes, Tom is the one who tells Mr. Wilson about the car. Mr. Wilson killed Gatsby because he thought Gatsby drove the car that hit Myrtle. It is suggested that Gatsby made his money illegally. I am glad you liked the book, it is one of my favorite books, by my favorite writer.