PDA

View Full Version : Heart of Darkness Discussion Group

Dark Muse
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
As some people may know from previous comments I have made I am to say the least a bit ambivalent about Conrad, I am trying to be good and not judge him based upon just one reading experience, but I had attempted to read Lord Jim and I could not get into the writing and found the story difficult to follow and eventually had to give up on the book.

I have allowed myself to be convinced to give him another chance, but I am in no hurry to revisit Lord Jim again, and I have not very long ago finished reading "The God of Small Things" which makes several references to the Heart of Darkness which roused my intrigue and put me in the mood to attempt this book.

Because of the difficulties I had with Lord Jim and my apprehensions about the author I thought it would be beneficial to me if I could read this book with the support of a discussion group.

So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a discussion of "The Heart of Darkness?

I plan to start reading the book in August.

Virgil
07-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Heart of Darkness is possibly the most important novel of the 20th century. Perhaps that's a bit strong, but it is very important. Even if you don't like the novel or Conrad, anyone who is involved in literature needs to read this for cultural reasons.

I've read it many times, and I think it's one of the great works of all time, not just the 20th centrury. Unfortunately I don't have the time to read it along with you now. But I will be glad to stop by here and throw my two cents in the mix.

qimissung
08-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I started "Heart of Darkness" yesterday, and I must admit that I am finding it fascinating. The description of nightfall on the Thames is gorgeous:

"The day was ending in a serenity of still and exquisite brilliance. The water shone pacifically; the sky, without a speck, was a benign immensity of unstained light; the very mist on the Essex marshes was like a gauzy and radiant fabric, hung from the wooded rises inland, and draping the low shores in diaphanous folds. Only the gloom to the west, brooding over the upper reaches, became more sombre every minute, as if angered by the approach of the sun."

Which is then followed by Marlow's observation, "And this also, has been one of the dark places of the earth."

Dark Muse
08-07-2010, 11:01 PM
I read this book while I was on vacation, and I have to say that my reading of Heart of Darkness has prove to be more successful than my attempts to read Lord Jim. I found the writing to be quite engaging in this story and there was some wonderful prose work, though I did find some of the parts of it confusing to try and follow at times. But over all I quite enjoyed the story.

Gilliatt Gurgle
08-07-2010, 11:49 PM
I had read Heart of Darkness last year and it still lingers in my mind. It is certainly at the top of my list of great reads.
Right now I am nearly finished with Conrad's "Under Western Eyes"

It is late, but I will make an effort to read what others have posted and maybe pull together more thoughts of my own.

Gilliatt