PDA

View Full Version : About to embark on Finnegans Wake

NeiljFraser
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Right, I'm about to read finnegans wake. Any tips from anyone who has read it and enjoyed it?

minstrelbard
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
If you get past the fifth page, you're a better man than I am.

Riverrun...
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM
My username comes from Finnegans Wake!

My advice would be to break it down into small sections (though I suppose you do that anyway when you read novels), perhaps read a summary before you begin, and instead of analysing every sentence and worrying about what you don't understand, just enjoy the wordplay and imagery the writing creates. It also helps if you read it out loud (or if you're in a public place just mouth the words as you read them).

Good luck :)

Jassy Melson
07-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I read it and I didn't enjoy it in the least. I wouldn't touch it again with a ten-foot pole. It's an utter waste of time to read it.

NeiljFraser
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Nice one cheers. I love ulysses, Portrait and Dubliners, so I'm gonna go for Finnegan's Wake now. Bring it on!

Panglossian
06-20-2011, 10:10 AM
700 pages of sparkling gibberish. I'm still reading after seven years. I can't finish it. I don't understand it. I've forgotten most of it. I've thrown a copy in a book bank. I love it, I hate it, I think its stupid, I think its brilliant. Brrrrrrrrrrr.

ALIEN
02-11-2018, 02:06 AM
Right, I'm about to read finnegans wake. Any tips from anyone who has read it and enjoyed it?

How did you go?