PDA

View Full Version : Favourite greek-themed movie?

Kyriakos
07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
In recent years there have been a number of american movies with a theme that is greek. Troy, Alexander and 300 being the main ones i think. Which of these did you like the most, if at all? :)

Personally i liked some parts of 300. Surely it is exagerrated, but it seems to have been exactly a biased and partly made-up account of reality, by one of the survivors of the battle at Thermopylai.
I liked the battles, and cinematography/photography. I also liked that they had some of the original greek dialogue :)

Being greek my favourite line was "the enemy outnumbers us 3 to 1: fair odds by any greek" :D

DanielBenoit
07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I assume that you are referring to historical epics concerning themselves with ancient Greece.

Frankly, none come to mind that I really loved, which is unfortunate because I am fascinated by the culture, literature and history. I guess a film adaptation of Troilus and Cressida would be my choice, though I've never seen one yet.

Out of the ones you mentioned, Troy was by far the best, even if it did take great liberties with Homer's original story, it is still a very fine film, though not great.

papayahed
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey! My Big Fat Greek Wedding didn't make the cut.

Kyriakos
07-01-2010, 02:11 PM
:D

Yes, i didnt include movies about modern Greece, because i detest how they are full of bad stereotypes.

Not everyone here is extroverted, loud, instinctive etc. Personally i am 90% introverted for example :)

prendrelemick
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I liked 300 the best of those above, only because the other two were so apallingly bad.

For a real classic, Jason and the Argonauts takes some beating.

Dodo25
07-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Cool question.

I voted for Troy, it's one of my favorite movies. It has actually got some interesting themes in it, and I love the dialogue between Achilles and Briseis. And - it's epic!
I haven't seen Alexander, I doubt it beats Troy though.

OrphanPip
07-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey! My Big Fat Greek Wedding didn't make the cut.

I think that was technically about Greek people living in North America.

I'm gonna vote Animal House, Greek life movies count, right?

Of the three movies in the poll, I wasn't crazy for any of them really.

JuniperWoolf
07-01-2010, 07:04 PM
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Best Odyssey ever made.

DanielBenoit
07-01-2010, 07:21 PM
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Best Odyssey ever made.

It saddens me to say that the film left me extremely cold. For some reason the Coens produce two types of films (maybe it's because they're two different people lol): Witty, subtle and atmospheric masterpieces with implicit or explicit aspects of film noir with an emphasis on regional dialect (oh yah?!), or films with maximalist editing, outrageous camera movements and outlandish stories and performances.

I usually 80 % of the time end up preferring the former and IMHO, films like Raising Arizona and O Brother Where Art Thou? are prime examples of the Coens at their worst in the latter category.

Also, since people are going all-out Greek anything I'll include:

A Talking Picture

And how about some Greek cinema?

Voyage to Cythera
Ulysses Gaze
Eternity and a Day
Z

(I'd include some film adaptations of classic Greek tragedies and comedies, but I have frankly not seen any as of late.)

manolia
07-02-2010, 07:12 AM
And how about some Greek cinema?

Voyage to Cythera
Ulysses Gaze
Eternity and a Day
Z

(I'd include some film adaptations of classic Greek tragedies and comedies, but I have frankly not seen any as of late.)

Z has to be my all time favorite Daniel..great choice (and i always admit at this point that this movie brings tears to my eyes)

since you mention Teo have a look at these if you can lay your hands on them :smilewinkgrin:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073800/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065396/

Ahkilleus
07-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Troy was extremely disappointing. No Diomedes slaughtering dozens of Trojans? No Olympians? Ajax' untimely death by Hektor and numerous other inaccuracies? The war was only a few nights compared to the ten-year siege?

Peter Jackson needs to remake The Iliad and The Odyssey, and stick closely to the narrative Homer wrote. The text is more than interesting enough to make for a very powerful/cinematographic experience. In fact, some passages from the text seem very LoTR-ish: I recall one moment in The Iliad where Homer is describing the Achaean force and the valiant heroes its comprised of as a silent armada, breathing quiet but furious, contrasted to the loud, uncouth Trojans soldiers.

It's vivid images like this that make me wish Hollywood would limit its dramatic interpretations. The appearance of Olympians outside of Troy's walls battling alongside mortals could be breathtaking.

I thought 300 was the most entertaining though by far.

Heathcliff
07-03-2010, 02:53 AM
I think that was technically about Greek people living in North America.

I'm gonna vote Animal House, Greek life movies count, right?

Of the three movies in the poll, I wasn't crazy for any of them really.

But My Big Fat Greek Wedding was EPIC!!
So I chose other. :nod:

Zach J.
08-15-2010, 06:59 PM
I enjoyed all three of these movies, but Troy is my favorite. I'm also a big fan of O Brother, Where Art Thou?.