PDA

View Full Version : The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

Wilde woman
06-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Just as it sounds, the Penelopiad retells Homer's Odyssey from Penelope's (and, in general, the women's) point of view. Atwood brings a feisty new side to a female character who is often no more than a symbol of faithfulness in the original. The novel begins with Penelope dead in Hades and finally able to tell her side of the story (because the gods no longer listen to the blasphemous voices of the dead). We find out early in the tale that Penelope is carrying around a guilty burden - she believes the death of her twelve most beloved maids - is her fault. In the Odyssey, the story goes that after Odysseus fought and killed all Penelope's suitors, he ordered the execution of all the traitorous maids who'd slept with the suitors. Penelope's story is, of course, quite different. Throughout the novel are sprinkled chapters narrated by the maids themselves, as a Greek chorus. Most of the time, they sing songs which comment on the action (like their irreverent attitude towards their masters, their reaction towards the birth of Telemachus), but sometimes they assert their own voices, as in Chapter 26: The Trial of Odysseus, as Videotaped by the Maids.

Since Atwood is widely known as a feminist, it's not surprising that she lends the primary narration to female characters. But it is interesting to me that they're all dead in Hades and can only go about reliving - in agonizing detail - their mistakes in life. Throughout, there's quite a bit of humor dealing with the rivalry between Penelope and Helen. And Atwood takes a jab at the feminist babble of certain literary critics in Chapter 24: An Anthropology Lecture.

A quick, easy, and irreverent must-read for all fans of Homer.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that this is part of Canongate's Myth Series (http://www.themyths.co.uk/), an ongoing collection where writers from all over the world are recruited to write revisionist versions of different myths. Among the names I recognized were Margaret Atwood, Philip Pullman, Chinua Achebe, and Michael Faber. I'm definitely checking out some of other titles.

prendrelemick
06-16-2010, 12:54 AM
That sounds great. Exactly the querky sort of thing I like

Virgil
06-16-2010, 12:59 AM
I have never heard of it, but it does sound interesting. Sounds like a sister book to Ursula Le Guin's, Lavinia, which is a retelling of the Aeneid story from Lavinia's point of view, Lavinia being the second wife of Aeneas once he settles in Italy. Here:
http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Index-Lavinia.html

I thought it was a good read.

LitNetIsGreat
06-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes I remember reading this at uni a few years back, it is a fun, quirky sort of thing definitely.

wessexgirl
06-17-2010, 04:24 AM
I've just started reading this, and I'm loving it so far. I've never read any Atwood before, as I've always been put off with the sci-fi/dystopian stuff. However, I love this subject matter and started reading it as I'm planning a Greek Myths fest in the Library. I'm hoping to try some of the others in the Canongate series, I think the Winterson one about Atlas sounds good, but the Pelevin one relating to Theseus sounds less so to me as it's in cyber space (I think). Anyway, I think it's excellent. I might try her Alias Grace too now, as that sounds very interesting, but I will still steer clear of the dystopian ones.

Thanks for the heads up on Lavinia too Virgil, I'll look into that one. I have the audio versions of The Odyssey, The Iliad and The Aeneid in my online shopping basket ready to indulge in when I get the opportunity. I can't wait.

kasie
06-17-2010, 06:33 AM
The Royal Shakespeare Company did a dramatisation of The Penelopiad a few years ago. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it - I would have liked to as I enjoyed the book. (There may be some pictures on their website that would be useful for your library fest, wessexgirl.)