PDA

View Full Version : The Dying Animal by Philip Roth

victorianfan
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Last year I watched the movie "Elegy" with Sir Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz. I liked it very much so I've been searching for the book since. Finally, I've found it.

The story is about desire and ageing and is told from the perspective of David Kepesh, sixty-two years old college professor. Other characters appear only through his narration.

David Kepesh, after his divorce in sixties, dedicates his life to independence. As if running away from his shadow, his dark side, he deliberately avoids all emotional entanglements or any kind of serious bonds with women. Mainly, he sleeps with his students after they finish his course. Along the way, he meets Consuela Castillo, a twenty-four years old student and after she finishes her course they become involved. However, David falls in love and his nightmare begins, his personal hell. The jealousy, fear of losing her... Everything he meticulously tried to avoid in his previous, so called, relationships now happening to him.
Finally, after a year and a half Consuela leaves David by his fault ...

andrewparkin
07-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Scanning this book as my other half poured over it with disarming fascination, I had to peek in to what had so mesmerized him. After all, I hadn't read a Roth novel since my early 20's, already at that young age having determined that there was nothing here but adolescent angst. And this dying animal? Ah, but I had been right to not bother all these years and with all the in between novels. The story was the same one. This time the difference was one of age...