PDA

View Full Version : Life of Pi

Linda
01-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Hello - just read "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, and really would love to discuss the book with someone. What is Martel saying, etc. I'd like to dissect it a bit. (Thought it was a great book)

Jan
02-22-2003, 12:26 AM
I too have just read this wonderful book which took me on a fantastic journey. But was it more than that? Was Pi the tiger (see conversation with the Japanese shipping officers at the end) and if so, what does this tell us about human nature?

When I was reading it, I thought it was an allegory for children living with bullying and violence. The island of algae, and particulary the teeth, I found really scary but the need to stand up to Richard Parker (whom he loved despite his terror) said a lot to me about standing up to agressive, domineering parents, siblings, managers - whatever.

I'd love to hear anyone else's views on this.

Jan

Linda
04-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Hi jan - just typed a huge thing to you, and then lost it. Very frustrated. So, I copied something I typed to another website and pasted it here. I am very interested in your ideas regarding bullying in the book. Please elaborate if you can. Sorry I took so long to reply.

Wonderful book! I am very happy to find a site to discuss it with someone. Feel free to email me. I think the book was very creative, powerful -forcing me to look at the human/animal similarities - forcing me to look at religion & faith -forcing me to look at psychology, and human coping in adverse conditions. I have so many questions. Is the book hinting that the "better story" is a way to cover the brutal sad truth? (eg. he was in the boat with humans, not zoo animals, witnessing his mother's decapitation - and also, religion is the better story, better than just mere existence on this earth?) The "better story" is mentioned twice, once on page 70, and at the end with the Japanese men. We want to believe the animal story, like the Japanese men do. It is the "better story". And so like people of faith, we choose the better story - and thus in a way, believe in God like the introduction says.

So - the animals representations of the humans on board. And is Richard Parker then part of the boy. He was the tough survivor, the alpha male, the tiger. The tiger represents his animalistic, survival instinct? His "non-human" side. The blind frenchman is actually the cook who killed his mother. The boy kills and eats the cook - knowing that if he doesn't kill the guy, he will die by his hand anyway. And what of the strange meerkat island? Even the Japanese investigators ask the question - forcing us to ask it - what is that island? It is a vegetarian island that eats meat. What's with that? It lets waves go through it, resistant to the test of time and weather. It is a simplistic island, with only two life forms. So, does it represent religion? Pi is near death, and he is "saved" by this island of food & water - like an oasis in the desert, like the Garden of Eden. And he finds the one tree with "fruit" - like a tree of knowledge in the garden. He finds the truth of the island's danger. That the island eats people. And 32 teeth are how many are in one person. Who? The prophet? Jesus or Mohammed? All that is left is a small bit? Organized religion (the island) ate the rest of him? Who are the meerkats? The millions of mindless followers who don't question fundamentalist religion? He kills a couple to bath his feet in their blood - what's with that?And why does Pi feel so upset that Richard Parker left him unceremoneously? Could it be that this kind, gentle, vegetarian man still hasn't come to terms with what he did in that boat? He hasn't dealt with his "issues". He needs therapy? Ha. I don't know. I'm just rambling. What do you think? email - [email protected]

Gosh, what a mess. I had such a nice reply to you too - too bad I lost it.

imthefoolonthehill
04-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Lol...I opened up this window expecting to learn who first discovered pi as we know it... as in 3.1415............................................ . Boy, do I feel stupid.

shortnsweet526
08-10-2003, 11:56 PM
I read life of pi. It was a good book but I don't understand why the author says it will make you believe in god. Is it because Pi survived 227 days with the tiger? Is Richard Parker even in the story? What did he mean when he says and so it goes with god after the japanese people said they liked the story with da animals?

Tiffku
08-11-2003, 12:37 AM
I read "Life of Pi" for my AP English class during the summer. At first it was boring, however, as I kept on reading, it progressed into a great book. The journey that Pi faced was very exciting and filled me with suspense. Also, I found the mysterious island to be very intriguing. Was the island real? Or was it a part Pi's imagination? :D

heureux743
08-11-2003, 02:43 AM
I read the Life of Pi over the summer and at first i didn't understand it and it seem every boring, but it turned out to be a great book. It was a real adventure, but a very sad story, and i didn't find it funny at all. I think that one of the best parts of the book was when he's on the island. I enjoyed reading the part where he talks about God and his three religions. i think that in a way this book does make one believe in God because Pi's believe in God made him keep on going, and just when everything seemed to be lost he found a way to survive, it's as if God was there to protect him. I think that Pi was right when he said that " All religions are true" because all they want to do is loved God. I don't see what was wrong w/ having three religions.