PDA

View Full Version : Comparative Essay of Great Expectations and The Great Gatsby

andy1234562
05-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Hey, :wave:

I need to write a comparative essay of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald for school. I need to anaylze the underlying themes in both novels and compare them. In the end, I need to come to a general statement that applies to both the characters and the books but also society.
The themes I have considered are society and class, the decline of the American dream (not necessarily American because it applies to Great Expectations as well), love, ambition, loss of innocence/growing up and finally, the meaning of the path.

If possible, could you also reference me to suitable links and other essays :P

LitNetIsGreat
05-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I wonder if your teacher has lumped the two together because they have the word "Great" in them, I don't know? Yes they sound OK but I wouldn't try to take on too many themes necessarily because it might stretch your argument(s) a little thin. As for the research I'm afraid that is part of your job, search around on the net by all means (better with a good database) but I'd try to get down to a decent library too if you can, have a dig around or follow recommended reading lists from your teacher if he/she has given you one – if not get digging; I'm sure there's plenty of stuff on the two, as they are hardly obscure texts. :coolgleamA:

andy1234562
05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
:willy_nilly: I only need one theme that applies to both novels and it has to be rephrased like a essay questions such as:
'Events shape people more than people shap events'. Relate this statement to the protagonist of both novels.

A essay questions like the above will really help because I have to figure out my own essay question.

Thanks

gbebooks
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Well, I'm sure you've already finished the essay, but it was certainly a clever idea your teacher came up with. I taught for twenty years, both books, and I can see the similarity. Pip and Gatsby both pursue wealth/ status in order to gain the attention of a girl. Pip and Nick are both disillusioned by wealth/ status.... Gatsby? I don't think he ever gave up on the dream... too unwilling to see reality.

kev67
05-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Both are making money in morally dubious ways.
Both are trying to cover up their humble origins.
Both are pining for a woman who cannot reciprocate their love.