PDA

View Full Version : What lesson can be learned from Lucie Manette's influence or love?

user41
05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
In what way does Lucie Manette influence the following characters?

- Doctor Manette
- Carton
- Darnay
- Mr. Lorry

And, what lesson can be learned from this?
Or, if influence doesn't work then what lesson can be learned from her love?

Jurt
07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
Lucie influenced Carton very much to my mind even if the affect only appeared at the end of the book. The influence's intensity can be seen at the last sentence: "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known". Due to Lucie's acquaintance with Carton he was enabled to do such good deed as he did. To have a better notion of this influence take a butcher to the scene in which they have the discussion.

Catriona L
05-29-2020, 04:11 PM
She was the reason that Carton redeemed himself; she brought her father out of the darkness into which he had fallen into during his imprisonment; to Darnay I suppose she was simply a loving wife, I do not think that relationship as complex as the others. In fact, I think that her influence over Mr Lorry is rather interesting because she gives him a human relationship. Until he meets Lucie again, he is attached only to his bank. Despite being a bachelor, he gets as close to being a father figure as he was ever going to.

Danik 2016
05-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Is this a homework question?