PDA

View Full Version : Richard and Bullingbrook

kelby_lake
05-23-2010, 08:50 AM
What do they think of each other?

Thespian1975
10-06-2010, 04:54 AM
I get the feeling that Bolingbroke has great respect for Richard as a king if not as a person.
Shakespeare never once has Bolingbroke say a bad thing about him even when he is banished he takes it in good grace.

Richard on the other hand is scared of Bolingbroke and surrenders even though no challange is made. All Bolingbroke wants is his land and titles back.

Virgil
10-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I happen to like both, though Bollinbroke's aggresiveness and shrewdness may make him hard to like. Richard is a poor King and I assume deserves to be dethroned but I wish he didn't need to be killed. He's a charmer of a person and someone you would love to sit at a bar and talk artsy stuff. :D Hey that could be me too! :lol:

byquist
10-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Richard exerts power over Bol. in first scene, and soon laughs (and is envious over) at Bol. when he steals his lands -- I think he heard that people were sad when Bol. took his leave of England. Richard is dumb enough to think that just because Bol. swore it, that he would not return (with an army). Bollingbroke, like some others, has some knowledge or intuition that Richard had something to do with the death of King Edward. That is a part of the rigorous contention between Bol. and that other guy as the play opens, Norfolk I think. So, while Bol. looks to be willing to go along with Richard's verdict (8 years in exile) he knows that Richard will have to go to war with the Scotts or Welsh, and knows that Richard is low on cash. So, I assume Bol. is waiting out the turn of events. But Richard steals Bol's inheritance which is totally unacceptable, for which Bol. returns in full force. Bol. is a logical thinker; Richard is a dreamy poet. Sooner or later something had to give, because Richard is not a down-to-earth political.military leader. Bol. is no Richard III type, but is not above having Richard II killed in the tower, for which he claims that he is extremely remorseful.

hanzklein
01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I get the feeling that Bolingbroke has great respect for Richard as a king if not as a person.
Shakespeare never once has Bolingbroke say a bad thing about him even when he is banished he takes it in good grace.

Richard on the other hand is scared of Bolingbroke and surrenders even though no challange is made. All Bolingbroke wants is his land and titles back.
I disagree, Bolingbroke clearly sees Richard as little else than an obstacle to the throne, which is why he even has him killed at the end of the play. Although some of his words indicate a respect for him, his actions clearly contradict that.

Charles Kellas
12-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I have just started Richard II, but it seems Richard has no respect for Bolingbroke. Richard is looking for ways to finance his wars, and he sees old Lancaster dying, and is already scheming to take all of his lands and wealth, regardless of where Bolingbroke is. Richard is a king looking for opportunities to finance his wars with little regard to anyone else.