PDA

View Full Version : Arwen

AquaQuorum
01-02-2003, 09:04 PM
When Arwen marries Elessar at the end of the Return of the King, was she made mortal by the Creator? Because I haven't seen any information about it.

crisaor
01-09-2003, 02:17 PM
If by Elessar you mean Aragorn (i think in the book he's called Estel by the elves) then the answer is yes and no. After the one ring conflict ended, Arwen and Aragorn get married, so i presume that she was made mortal, but after they stay together for like 120 years or so, Aragorn dies and Arwen returns to Lorien (something she shouldn't be able to do if she was mortal I believe). That's all i can remember, but don't quote me on it. Check the Appendix in the Return of the King for more (accurate) details.

jamesting
01-10-2003, 02:51 AM
In the Silmarillion, the Great Being gave to the elves, the gift of immortality. To man, he gave the gift of mortality.

Therefore, in the LOTR, Arwen, an elf, remained an immortal, as this was her gift. She returns to Lorien to lay in peace, and rest in eternity.

The concept of mortality and immortality is one of the themes of the LOTR and is evident prominently in the love between Arwen and Aragorn.

crisaor
01-14-2003, 04:10 PM
I was under the impression that elves could renounce to Eru's gift of immortality. Isn't that what Lúthien did because of her love for Beren? (I would check that myself, but I currently don't have the Silmarillion. Loaned it... :( ).

aggy
02-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Arwen was a Half-elf like her father and she could choose to be a mortal
(like elronds twin Elros). When she married Aragorn, she has lost her immortality. After her husbands death she went to Lorien, where she died.