PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Mellors and Constance Chatterley

Alessandra
04-15-2010, 11:52 PM
I loved Nicholas Clay in the 1981 film version of this book. It seemed to address quite strongly the difference in class levels - how the mores of society affected those two lovers. In present day times the class levels have become blurred but, in the early 20th century, there was widespread prejudice for a man to have less status than a woman he hoped to marry. Throughout the movie, these issues were reflected in Olivers' many, expressed sensitivities to the divergent situation ( of class ) between himself and Lady Chatterley; apart from, and including, the condition of her husband. As well it was imperative that "Connie" choose a lover of high ranking, as dictated by her husband, Clifford, before Connie ever considered her feelings for Oliver. So among other things, the film, as well as the book, could be a study in the social classes of it's day.
As far as relevance, in today's world of literature, the love of Connie and Oliver, and it's hint of a happy ending ( aka new beginning ), is a wonderful testimony to the power of the human spirit over society's expectations; how two people who were more internally similar than their outer circumstances could reveal were brought together, while the nursemaid to Clifford seemed to hold a kind of "personal" dedication to Clifford. One can imagine that, as Clifford lost Connie's love, just as he was beginning to walk again, he may have formed a new, intimate relationship with his nursemaid; who had been widowed at a young age and never taken another lover in all those many years.
Certainly a study in the vast landscape of human relationships, in the lovely English countryside.

Lidia R
05-15-2010, 01:36 AM
I love this book, it was given to me by my boyfriend several years ago, as our love story. The similarities between them and us were very close, very different but we seemed to be so good together. We have since broken up, but it holds a very special place in my heart simply because of the story and thinking of it reminds me of Chris, the only man I've ever loved so deeply. I like how you broke it down. It is so very close to how I think of it.